1968 Chevy K10 SWB Overlander

snekvasil

Adventurer
Rod Tube

Last time I was in Montana, I saw a rod tube on top of a Subaru and thought that it was a good idea. So...I had some free time this week and headed to the hardware store. I picked up a 10' section of 6" diameter PVC pipe, a cap end, and a male/female threaded end. I cut it down to be the length of my rack (around 75") and then capped it off on both ends. I then painted it with Rustoleum paint + primer that adheres to plastic.

Materials.jpg Cap1.jpgCap2.jpgPainted.jpg

Then mounted it on the truck using cable ties...and tested it out with my rod! I'm hoping to get 3 rods in there, staggered. I took the truck out for a spin after to make sure it was secure and wouldn't move. I had to play with the cable ties a bit, but it's not going anywhere now.

Mounted1.jpgTubeRod.jpgmounted3.jpg

Now I'm ready for my favorite time of the year--trout fishing!:coffeedrink:

BrownTrout.jpg224.jpg

snekvasil

Adventurer
Exhaust Headers

Also...my family all chipped in together and bought me these Langdon Stovebolt headers for my birthday. I'm getting them installed tomorrow. I'm so appreciative of my amazing mom, brother and sister. They've helped me out in so many ways. I probably wouldn't have purchased these headers for a long time (if at all) just because it wasn't a big priority for my budget.

Stovebolt6.jpg

I'll try to get a sound clip up tomorrow!

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
This is a beautiful truck, I love the way you put it to work everyday.

Probably one of my favorite builds..

snekvasil

Adventurer
New Exhaust

Got this older guy named Tom Collins to do my header and exhaust system installed. He was super fast and very reasonable...he said he's been doing this kind of work for 40+ years. I don't think I've heard an inline 6 sound so sweet. Unfortunately, I couldn't upload a vid or audio link...so here are the pics at least. I've always loved the look of the exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheel, so that's what I went with. The charcoal headers on the block look pretty awesome, too, in my opinion.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That looks really cool! Ole inlines can sound sweet on duals when done right and I’m sure if this guy has been doing it for 40 years he knows what he is doing. Oddly, I6’s on twice pipes sound better than V6’s…especially 4.3Ls. Must be the firing order and large bore size of the 292. Can’t wait to hear it once you get a video uploaded.

I haven’t had time to visit the Portal as much as I used to but I’ve been trolling with my phone and watching your truck come along. It looks great!

Looky what I bought the other day….. a solid runner 1969 292! I have no idea what I’m going to do with it but it will be cool once I figure it out. If I built a 2wd I have a 700R4 or NV3500 to pick from....if it ends up being a 4x4 I have a SM465/NP205 laying around waiting for a project. I’ve always been a big fan of 292s
25898917992_0818feb128_c.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I say SWEET:drool: to both Sneks new headers and Larrys new 292. Both you guys have some nice stuff there!:Wow1::Wow1:

snekvasil

Adventurer
292 w/ headers

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7h-4mUcVM[/video]

Here's the clip so you can hear the sound...I know it's crappy quality =/

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Awesome!!!! Honestly, I had never seen a 292 before I got this 68 truck. It's a really cool looking engine. What's the benefit of putting a SM465/NP205 behind one?

LOL, the benefit of the 465/205 is I have them on-hand taking up space in the garage. Your 420/Rockwell 221 are good stuff too….don't worry you're not missing out on anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk