1971 IIA Dormobile

TravelinLight

Observer
Well some of you may have seen this for sale a few years ago. It changed hands at least once, maybe twice since being sold by a Expo member a while ago. It is going to be on the way to Colorado shortly where I will make it into a long range camper for me and my family. More information to follow but here is the low down.

1972 IIA right hand drive euro 6 cylinder Dormobile. It has the fully synchronized transmission which is a bonus and almost all of the Dormobile kit present. I will know more once the vehicle gets to Denver from OR. That should be in three weeks or so.

Although I have dreams and plans for her, the main focus will be to drive her for a month or two prior to making any upgrades. I want to make her as reliable as possible before I start thinking about any overland kit. (Except for the new bunks I ordered today as I am sure the kids will want to be able to climb up there once we pop the roof)

Camper.jpg
Driver Side.jpg
Inside bunks.jpg
Side_View.jpg

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I love these things. I'll own one, one day. Best of luck with yours - I look forward to seeing the photos!

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'm with you Adam. After driving series trucks for 20 years now, there isn't much that excites me about them like in the early days. However, a nice Dormie is one, and a ratty SI, and a 101....

JackW

Explorer
Not to be too picky but that's a 1971 - last year of the SIIA with the metal dash and metal grill.
The 1972 Land Rovers were the first of the Series III with the plastic dash, plastic grill and all synchro transmission. Its relatively easy to retrofit the SIII transmission into the SIIA and is commonly done.

Great looking truck and old time the Land Rover guys are usually locked into a debate as to which is THE best year for a Series truck but it usually boils down to a debate between the 1967 and 1971 model years.
Some prefer the classic headlights in the grille panel look of the 1967 (last year for that - first year of the remote mounted wiper motor and negative earth electrical system) others like the improved heater and seats of the 1971.

Looks like a great truck though - very, very cool.

TravelinLight

Observer
Thanks for the heads up. I have it from the seller who is pretty well known in the Rover community that it is a very late IIA right before the III s started to roll off the line. To your point though, I will check the vin once I get the paperwork and vehicle in front of me to be certain. Either way I am much happier for the metal dash and the complete Dormie kit.

It is hard to contain myself for the next couple of weeks waiting for shipping to be worked out!!

czenkov

Adventurer
Nice

Perhaps a 1971 build, first tear of registration 1972.
For instance mine was built in 1959 but titled as a 1960 since that was when it was first registered.
Nice Dormie...pretty sure I know who the seller is, probably the same guy I bought my SII from years ago. have fun with it!

Where are you in Colorado? Western Slope?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Yes model years get tricky with UK vehicles because they are titled as they are registered, not by the VIN as they are in the USA.

On an unrelated note, by the serial number my 1972 SIII is one of the first 300 SIII's built. Probably within a few hundred of this beauty.

Jason, your dream Rover stable sounds just like mine, although my fiancee has laid down the law that if there is ever a 101 in the family, it will be hers not mine!

TravelinLight

Observer
So I have been working on the Dormobile trying to get her ready for the Overland Expo.

I put in a Roverdrive and wanted to take care of the door tops for comfort. I picked up some Rocky MTN doortops for their once and done factor. Well I go to pull off the door cards and am surprised that there are four bolts holding the door top on? Strange I think and I pull off the inside two. The PO found that the door tops were rusted in place and cut them off, or replaced them with these and put two bolts in and called it good.

It explains why they flopped around so much. Seeing how I had some door frames laying around I hit them with a wire wheel and some primer and decided to reskin the doors.

Here is the progression:
IMG_2456.jpg

Door Rot
IMG_2454.jpg

Really bad rot
IMG_2455.jpg

Door skin free from carcass
IMG_2457.jpg

All done
IMG_2458.jpg

Detail
IMG_2459.jpg

One my Truck
IMG_2461.jpg

Tools of the trade
IMG_2463.jpg

I would not had had as many small cracks on the edges if the doors were not resprayed. The truck has plenty of character, so these small imperfections really do not bother me. Now I need to see what I can do about the door cards that have rotten insides due to the neglect.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Awesome. I love my Rocky Mountain Door tops as well.

With these trucks everyone will come out of the wood work and tell you what you MUST replace. Really from what I've discovered with my 109 is that if you let them sit, that is what kills them. Driving once a week does so much for the truck. I like this because then I get to drive my 109.

TravelinLight

Observer
Max, thanks. I am with you. I try to drive her 2 to 3 times a week minimum. The trip to the expo will be about 700 miles each way, so it will be the longest run since I've had her. It has been a while since I have seen you on the Guns and Rover forum hope all is well.

Slowly I will get this rig expedition ready after I make sure she is 100% road worthy.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yeah I don't really get on the internet in the evenings and the G&R board is probably one I shouldn't get on with the company computer (probably doesn't matter but I'm not looking to find out the hard way).

I know the feeling on vehicle prep. Just keep plugging away at it. Bring extra fluids, gloves, a tarp to lay down on, and your noise canceling earphones!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven