1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Need to investigate what I consider "excessive" driveline vibes this weekend. Nothing terrible, but approaching the point to where it was when I had the offcenter axle installed. Perhaps my u joints have simply worn in a bit too much because it's been a few years and the driveline angles are still nowhere near "good"

I have a few several hundred mile trips planned for in in the next couple months, so need to get it sorted.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Done. Didn't really change anything even though one u joint was a little stiff through part of the rotation, and the caps were a little wobbly.

I only get the vibe when I'm already doing about 70 and step on the gas hard. It continues up to about 85mph. I can cruise at 70-75 without feeling the vibes much, and there is not issue at 65-70, it's just when I step on the gas hard.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Nice to see that it is only little things you are having to deal with.
Great local outings too and please keep posting up even the day trips.
While my rig was down recently I had to live vicariously through everyone else's outings :)

Love it and sometime I will have to come up from Phoenix and give you a shout.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Yeah, mostly minor stuff these days. For the past year I havent had to do anything major. Really all I have done is replace some rear bushings, check these u joints, top off some fluids, upgraded the wiring and motor in the tailgate, repaired that alternator bracket, cleared a piece of debris from the oil pressure line....

Other than that just drove the thing several thousand miles.

paroxysym

Adventurer
Yeah, mostly minor stuff these days. For the past year I havent had to do anything major. Really all I have done is replace some rear bushings, check these u joints, top off some fluids, upgraded the wiring and motor in the tailgate, repaired that alternator bracket, cleared a piece of debris from the oil pressure line....

Other than that just drove the thing several thousand miles.

boring isn't it lol just fixing stuff whenever it breaks, no major mods... just driving it and racking up miles.

I must say when I have no issues with my jeep, or honestly don't have a single mod in mind to do to it- I get bored with it and look for something else haha.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
boring isn't it lol just fixing stuff whenever it breaks, no major mods... just driving it and racking up miles.

I must say when I have no issues with my jeep, or honestly don't have a single mod in mind to do to it- I get bored with it and look for something else haha.

given the amount of time, effort, and money that went into the axle swap in the 15 months preceeding this "lull" in modification, i'm pretty much set for life on modding this truck.

My goal is to do interior next so the thing at least looks halfway decent. 5 years of trashed carpet and ever more falling headliner has become really annoying and its FINALLY time to address it.

Mitch502

Explorer
given the amount of time, effort, and money that went into the axle swap in the 15 months preceeding this "lull" in modification, i'm pretty much set for life on modding this truck.

My goal is to do interior next so the thing at least looks halfway decent. 5 years of trashed carpet and ever more falling headliner has become really annoying and its FINALLY time to address it.

I hear you on the drooping headliner :(

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
so i picked this factory brush guard up for a song, practivcally stole the thing as they commonly sell for about $150-$200 to see if i liked it on the wag and if not i'd just flip the thing.

Yeah. Definitely not feeling it.

12993322_10100934701422888_7091952485879493107_n.jpg
13077018_10100934705804108_654006535972462998_n.jpg

pyrate

Rollin' along
Wow, that's not the most curb appeal friendly farkle. Paint or see if it you learn to like it? :Wow1:

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I kind of like the brush guard, but I could see why others wouldn't. I say leave it for a little while and see what you think.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
It definitely takes away from the beautiful front view, but it does add protection. I'd keep it, and use it for off road trips.
Since perfect grills and headlight bezels aren't readily available for cheap, I can certainly see the advantage.
Think I'd want it to be easily removed, so it could be just used for trail work. I'd also probably add stainless 1/4" mesh to keep sticks, stones and other grill damaging material away.
Come to think of it, I've been on freeways, where it would have been useful to have! :eek:
Like driving with a catcher's mitt out front.

paroxysym

Adventurer
not a fan... definitely takes away from the front end- plus all the OEM chrome and then a black brush guard, doesn't mesh if you ask me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother