1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

cheepsk8

Observer
I just read through this entire article! Nice job! I like how you have learned everything yourself on this rig. Is inspiring me to get back to my 79 bronco. Happy trails.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Was a little rough on the jeep this past weekend and the weekend of the trip.

Noticed a large "pop" in my steering the other say, presumably as a result of said unnecessary roughness.

I went through everything, greased it all, tightened drag link and pitman arms and tie rod ends, checked u bolts. jacked the truck up, checked ball joints, checked tie rods for play. nothing. no pop when there was no weight on the wheels. I was racking my brain.

a buddy calls me that night and says "its your ball joints" i said "no, they are new and quality" he said "fine, check your shocks, one is loose"

Went out, grabbed drivers side shock and i was able to rattle it back and forth. A few turns of a wrench (and a smashed pinky finger that is still all purple colored a few days later) and there was no more pop in the steering.

Remember, its always the simple ****, people!

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Put about 100 miles on it on saturday driving up to virginia city and all over town. No steering pop at all. Glad that was an easy fix lol.

paroxysym

Adventurer
was just about to see what the latest and greatest was on your rig, glad to see it out and about. that red Cherokee looks sweet.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Yeah nothing crazy just a few wheeling trips this past month. Got what feels like some increased driveline vibes under load. gonna pull drive shaft and check u joitns, its been about 2 years since the axle swap and they may be worn in due to the funky angles.

Really hoping to get some longer camping trips in this summer.

I don't know if anybody around here cares, but realizing this really isnt much of an expedition build, really isnt much of anything anymore, just a truck that I drive around a bunch and sometimes do some light wheeling or camping with.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Doc,

I really like those pictures with the high desert in the foreground and the snowy mountain peaks in the background. Cool stuff. Also, I don't personally care that your rig is used for wheeling/camping rather than international overland travel. I may be in the minority but I enjoy reading "expeditions" that people take in their own areas as much as major international feats. The first season of "Expedition Overland" is still my favorite. So, keep up the good work.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Doc,

I really like those pictures with the high desert in the foreground and the snowy mountain peaks in the background. Cool stuff. Also, I don't personally care that your rig is used for wheeling/camping rather than international overland travel. I may be in the minority but I enjoy reading "expeditions" that people take in their own areas as much as major international feats. The first season of "Expedition Overland" is still my favorite. So, keep up the good work.
I agree...
At least you use yours for something. I just seem to "build" (and build and build and build...) my jeeps for events/trips/expeditions that never happen. Can't even claim to drive them around for fun. :(

paroxysym

Adventurer
I don't know if anybody around here cares, but realizing this really isnt much of an expedition build, really isnt much of anything anymore, just a truck that I drive around a bunch and sometimes do some light wheeling or camping with.

nah its good to see the old girl out stretching her legs, nice to see a FSJ being used

njtacoma

Explorer
I too enjoy seeing "local" expeditions, and the fact that it is a cool old wagonerd, oops, I mean wagonerd makes it better!

Mitch502

Explorer
Doc,

Very accurate. I don't "OVERLAND" across the world...but I like to camp comfortably ;)

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Thanks guys, I guess i can continue to post what little updates I have here as well.

Yesterday I......washed it. Still trying to get the mud off from that damned valentines day trip. It's EVERYWHERE up under the truck. My driveway is so dirty now.

first world problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother