1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
A friend set up a wheeling trip to Bodie CA this weekend. A few of us decided to go camping the night before in June Lake CA again.

On the first day I fired up my jeep at the campsite and the alternator belt was squealing. Turns out the bracket had snapped in half. We JB welded it and let it set overnight, but in the 30 or 40 miles to the trail head, the JB weld failed. At the trail head we fashioned this awesome repair using a butter knife, stainless zip ties, and a hose clamp.

At this point, knowing the condition of the roads in and out of Bodie, I opted to pass on the trail ride and headed 120 miles home. The bracket is now out and ready to be welded tomorrow.

So alternator issues aside, It was a nice weekend. I went camping, fishing, met a few new FSJ people, said hi to everybody at the trail head, then went home.

Jeep ran flawlessly up into the mountains and over all the passes (regardless of the busted bracket).

Upper Virginia Lake (roughly 10,000')

Upper Virginia Lake (roughly 10,000')

June Lake

Friend!

Friends!

It never ends. at home in the garage, or 120 miles away.....gotta fix something.

Last edited:

Zeiderman

Adventurer
To me; this is the epitome of overlanding:

"On the first day I fired up my jeep at the campsite and the alternator belt was squealing. Turns out the bracket had snapped in half. We JB welded it and let it set overnight, but in the 30 or 40 miles to the trail head, the JB weld failed. At the trail head we fashioned this awesome repair using a butter knife, stainless zip ties, and a hose clamp."

Or maybe it's just a Jeep thing, I don't know

Awesome trail-side repair

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
To me; this is the epitome of overlanding:

"On the first day I fired up my jeep at the campsite and the alternator belt was squealing. Turns out the bracket had snapped in half. We JB welded it and let it set overnight, but in the 30 or 40 miles to the trail head, the JB weld failed. At the trail head we fashioned this awesome repair using a butter knife, stainless zip ties, and a hose clamp."

Or maybe it's just a Jeep thing, I don't know

Awesome trail-side repair

Thanks, haha. In all reality I probably could have done the trail but I didnt want to risk it and just headed home. It was pretty solid and took a while for me to remove the bracket when I got home.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Bracket be all better:

2476578d1446003061-marns-73-wagoneer-thread-back-action-image-3299225905.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
^Is it a replacement? (I don't see a welding bead on it...)

Nope. The split was chamfered so that there was more area for the bead to fill, then was welded then ground down. On the back we welded a little tab of scrap metal to hold it all together as well.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Nothing lately though. Had family in town and some how the wag was the most practical vehicle for all 5 of us to go places in (2 door challenger, 2 door pickup, 2 door nova.....4 door wagoneer). Put a few hundred miles on it over the last week. Das all.

Up in Virginia City:
12241528_10102713610754146_6598227403614477209_n.jpg

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
It's true that Wagoneers are great people haulers. Every time my family comes to town, it's my go to vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother