1973 Wagoneer - Full Size Camping Goodness

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Well so far around town its running strong on the roads and highways. I'm not super pleased with the idle (i believe this is more ignition related than EFI related) and it does some weird stuff on cold starts but i'll get it sorted out.

I'm about to head out on a 150 mile camping trip, hopefully it runs well enough.

Upon my return i will be ordering a new alternator (100 amp powermaster, bolt in) and also intend to drop in a 1 wire HEI distributor.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
If you have a timing light you can look at this. Make sure the base timing is set correctly first.
If the distributor is acting erratically it will show up in the strobe beam. If it were me, I'd look at each cylinder separately. This will also help determine any secondary issues.
Smart move to look at this. :beer:
You may also find that you need to tweak the Stoich in advanced settings. May require lowering that down a bit.
Things like cylinder sealing efficiency, EGR issues, vacuum leaks, will dramatically effect idle. The advanced menu will help overcome engine short comings to a point. But don't rely on that as a crutch. Better to fix root cause.
Hope the camping trip goes great. :victory:

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Also I found that saturday was the 6 year anniversary of the day I bought the wagon, so I cannot imagine having spent a better day with it on our anniversary lol.

Mitch502

Explorer
Glad you found new love for it. I know how it can get when things start frustrating you, especially on an older vehicle.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
So overall the jeep did awesome on the camping/wheeling trip the other week. I got it home and put it in the garage. I drove it a little bit this weekend but it was so damn hot out I didnt drive it too much.

At the advice of my EFI mentor, I'm trying to drop the fuel pressure down to around 30 since these systems are designed to run up to 500 HP. Reducing fuel pressure should allow the injectors to better control how much is going in. It messed with the idle a bit but i intend to drive it around and see how it learns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp