1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

rube bonet

Adventurer
Stuff is happening...slowly but surely.

Body is supposed to be painted...sooooon.:jump:

Frame is off to be galvanized before powdercoat.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Thanks guys.:ylsmoke: The trip to the galvanisers was really neat. 850 degree swimming pools of molten zinc, sulfuric acid baths, etc....this company processes millions of pounds of zinc a month. Frame will still probably be powdercoated after the fact for appearances, but rust should be a non-issue afterwards.

rube bonet

Adventurer
It turned out well! AZZ Galvanizing was excellent to work with, a little finish sanding from this point and we will be ready for powdercoating. I also had the gas tank skid, shackles, and some other small pieces galvanised while we were there.

For appearances I would keep the bare zinc exposed! PC is crap anyway, especially on a rig that will see some hits.

I normally don't prefer powdercoating frames, but the paint shop was hesitant to paint over the galvanized. I have no worries of rust or powdercoat failure, I just find any future mods that may prove necessary is made more difficult with the coating. Everything is accounted for at this point...but there is always some cool new widget to add later.:ylsmoke:

And PAINT!:victory:

Scoutman

Explorer
Love the color, is that an original IH color? Reminds me of a buddy's 77 Scout he used to have.

So how are future mods/welding to a galvanized frame going to be any less of a pain? Either way you have to grind to bare metal and touch up afterwards.

skibum315

Explorer
Awesome to see this finally going through paint ... I'm a fan of the color choice, as well. Can't wait to see the final pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach