1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

rube bonet

Adventurer
Thanks!

A little update, not much. The scout's bodywork was completely done and was headed off to paint...when "issues" with the shop handling it arose:rolleyes: We are currently regrouping, and deciding on another shop for paint. The good news is at least we are heading in a forward direction again...

Evergreen12

Observer
The body mods to those rear quarters is just amazingly clean. So much respect for the guys that can work magic on that thin sheet metal. It's almost sad that when done so cleanly and keeping the factory lines the average Joe won't even notice all the work that was done there, same goes for the front. I guess that's the point though!

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Sorry to hear about your setback, I know ALL about those. I am VERY anxious to see the outcome of this. I love the sliders, they are perfect. I may steal some ideas here.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
It was a nice trip down memory lane with the 118" wb Traveller. We bought our same yellow 1980 Scout Traveller in 1984. We called it the 'banana' split. It was the last year they made this rig and it fit our family camping/jeeping experiences well. This was the rare one:
factory installed 3.3L Nissan turbo diesel, straight six, 101 neck snapping H.P., gobs of torque all the way down with 23:1 c.r. Got 20 mpg on the road with a load.
Front and rear D-44's, the rr having a trac loc (that actually worked). A flanged, detachable, exhaust stack rear for fording. (and it worked well)
H.I. T-19, all synchro 4 spd. with a 4.03:1 first gear. Just the right ratios for this rig. Also had a T-19 with a 5.11 first gear, and my bro's Scout used the I.H. version of the T-19 with the 6.32:1 first gear. Yes, three separate versions of the T-19
Texas pattern Dana 300.
SOA using stock springs which were pretty flat in that config, just right for lots of flex.
33x12.50R15 BFG mud tires.
fabbed up, swing away rear tire rack. Not as good, of course as above. A commercial center roll bar. Big and ugly. Sad the windshield did not fold down.
Had the top off every summer.Our son drove it to college and he ran the wheels off it, off-road. Eventually we had 160K miles on the banana before no one wanted to drive it.
This was truly an expedition vehicle. Why? engine parts could be had, world wide and were used in boats and stationary settings. Simple design, if not a little underbuilt. We tore the front spring hanger off the frame on the Ershim; bunged up the rr quarter panel on one of the Rubicon jaunts, and generally had a great time with it. I did a major overhaul on the engine at 100K mi. Rings/valves/bearings/head job/injector pump. Of the dozen or so 4x4 rigs I've owned, this one came as close to being an expedition vehicle. Not a:
rock crawler
jeep
pick up truck
truck camper
family camping machine
beauty contest winner or show truck
It could do all this stuff to a degree, but it was under powered, just what you need in an expo rig and you could sleep in the back, if you had to, with the seat removed. As I recall, it had about 6 feet BEHIND the second seat!
Yeah, what IS the disposition of rube bonet's '76 Scout?
regards, as always, jefe

Last edited:

rube bonet

Adventurer
So what happened? Is it finished? Updates?

Progress has been made, body work is done...again.:rolleyes: All the removable stuff has been powdercoated, waiting patiently for install.

And, a paint color has been chosen!:sombrero:

Truth is, I can't wait. I am supposed to head over to the paint guys to build some brackets for their rotisserie, perhaps the end is in sight.

rube bonet

Adventurer
It was a nice trip down memory lane with the 118" wb Traveller.

It could do all this stuff to a degree, but it was under powered, just what you need in an expo rig and you could sleep in the back, if you had to, with the seat removed. As I recall, it had about 6 feet BEHIND the second seat!
Yeah, what IS the disposition of rube bonet's '76 Scout?
regards, as always, jefe

I like the older, simpler vehicles. You summed up the Traveler perfectly, I am surprised more expo guys don't go the classic route, especially for NA touring. A simple repower, and these old trucks can be surprisingly road friendly again, and usually better suited for rough terrain.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Updates so you guys don't think I am lying!
Stopped by the body shop yesterday to check on things and get some drawings for the custom brackets for the body rotisserie.

And this is a test sample of the color we are NOT going to use.:sombrero: The end color will be a lot more mustard/ gold...

Last edited:

njtacoma

Explorer
That looks more yellow then the color we had on the '72 Travelall growing up. Hideous color for something as big as a travelall, but even the rejected yellow color is nice compared to the '72. Beast of a truck, but went where you pointed it as long as it fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater