1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

rube bonet

Adventurer
Not much to update on the Scout right now,will post up some pics in a few days. I have been working on another project, but I will finish up some more details later this week...

Thanks for the interest, trust me, I can't wait to see the finished project:smiley_drive:

98GP

Observer
Update time...

Pinion angle still needs to be set final, but, other than that...the rear is done!
20130123_151345.jpg

Just curious why you didnt install/have built the Currie 9" as a high pinion? Or is that a front axle option only?

Very nice build by the way. Cant wait to see the body/paint work complete.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Just curious why you didnt install/have built the Currie 9" as a high pinion? Or is that a front axle option only?

Very nice build by the way. Cant wait to see the body/paint work complete.

Thanks!

Currie high pinion 9 is actually a reverse cut 8.8... not nearly strong enough for this appication, and only available in 31 spline IIRC. Reverse cuts are great for fronts, and I run them when I absolutely have to (almost never) for pinion angles in the back... but reverse cut gears are MUCH weaker in a rear end application running on the "wrong" side of the gear.

rube bonet

Adventurer
Final updates for a while, Traveler is off to Fesler's for the body work/ paint:sombrero:.

Vanco booster came in...finally. It bolted right up where the old setup was, I only had to modify the pushrod slightly for the IH brake pedal.
It was really heavy however, and I was a little uncomfortable with the bracket that came with it for supporting the weight. After looking at the factory reinforcements inside of the firewall, I decided to simply add an extra support bracket for the booster assembly.

Bracket bolts to studs between booster and master, then ties into the bottom of the firewall support plate

Vanco booster, thankfully cleared the battery tray with no issues

Last edited:

rube bonet

Adventurer
And last, but certainly not least on this build, I needed to mount the last accessories before paint.

First, the surplus m14/m16 rifle mounts showed up, complete with milspec instructions and hardware:sombrero:

I wanted to be able to securely hold 2 various size weapons, access both of them, retain access to the glovebox, and not encroach on the passenger too much.
I welded a piece of 14 ga into the dash, slotted holes to adjust for different heights/ optics etc..

"stealth" Ar15 mount-barrel barely visibly above dash or doorline, easy access to driver or passenger

Outer mount easily fits any full length rifle or shotgun

And with that done...my part of this part of the build is done for a while. After paint and bodywork, we will progress to the next stage...

Xfactor

Observer
Epic build! love every bit of it!! well thought through, amazing execution!! extremely talented, in my wildest dreams would i be able to build something like that.

I have a CJ-6, building it like this would be a dream.

Kudos!!!

Halligan

Adventurer
Rube, I've been following this awesome build and I have one question. Is this your truck or a truck for a customer?

rube bonet

Adventurer
Epic build! love every bit of it!! well thought through, amazing execution!! extremely talented, in my wildest dreams would i be able to build something like that.

I have a CJ-6, building it like this would be a dream.

Kudos!!!

Very well done!

Thanks guys!

Have a link/source for these?

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/ they used these mounts in quite a few different military trucks. Heavy duty, same sort of mechanism as the military hood latches

Rube, I've been following this awesome build and I have one question. Is this your truck or a truck for a customer?

This truck is for a customer. I just get attached to the builds....:D

rube bonet

Adventurer
Update Time!

Body is off to paint, I headed down to the body shop once the tub was pulled to final weld all the nooks and crannies I couldn't get to with the body in place. Feslers had tubbed out the rear fenderwells to fit the tires, work was done very nicely, body lines were retained, inner seams welded and boxed to retain strength and keep mud from entering the corners. They also final fitted the doors, fender, and hood, even adding metal to the front edge of the drivers door to get a decent body line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater