1977 FJ40 California SMOG

HrznChaser

I just bought a 78 fj40 and even though the previous owner had it "smogged" and it is registered now it is missing the smog parts. I thought I could find all the parts and get it back in shape before the next smog check but i should have read this first. Anyone have a pre 76 frame lying around for sale? How big a hassle is it to relabel a vehicle with a engine swap? Harder than a frame swap?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Smog equipment is not too hard to add if you have the parts. What exactly is missing?

BigJim

Observer
I know it is a sacralidge to some...

But pull out the 2f and put in a Chevy V8. The smog parts are available at junk yards. I had to do this drill and with a new CARB compliant carb, proper exhaust manifolds, new exhaust and smog tubes it cost me about $1600.

When I bought the 1971 frame, I took the title to the DMV. They transferred it to me and issued plates on the spot. No inspection or anything else. It was a bare frame at the time. Not saying it will go that way for anyone else, but they were cool about it. It took me 6 months to rebuild the cruiser on the new frame working a few hours here and there. I took the opportunity to do a spring over and change basically everything but the motor.

Just a motor/axle/body swap could be done in a few weekends.

Here's a link: http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/165549-rotw-cruiserdrew.html

J-man

Adventurer
correct me if im wrong - but arent cars that are older than 25 yrs exempt from any smog requirements? At least here in CA i think thats the law. And in all seriousness, on a vehicle that old anyway - who cares - just find a local friendly smogger to make it "pass.", unless your trying to do a original restoration rebuild and keep everything on it that it came with from the factory.

BigJim

Observer
All 76 and older

Need to be smogged, period.

If you had $300,000 or more invested in a business would you risk a large fine and loss of license for a couple hundred illegal dollars?

On a side note. All Diesels in CA now have to be smogged. I know a ton of guys who took their Cats off and modified all sorts of stuff. It all has to go back on to pass smog. They are WAY pissed off.

Its our RINO governor and the CARB to blame for this nonsense.

correct me if im wrong - but arent cars that are older than 25 yrs exempt from any smog requirements? At least here in CA i think thats the law. And in all seriousness, on a vehicle that old anyway - who cares - just find a local friendly smogger to make it "pass.", unless your trying to do a original restoration rebuild and keep everything on it that it came with from the factory.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
It is currently fixed at model year 1976 and Newer. '65 to '75 used to require testing only on transfer of title, and may still in some or all areas - research this if it affects you.

Per: http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/about_smog_ck.html:
For gas-powered vehicles the 1976 model year is the earliest model year vehicle required to participate in the biennial Smog Check Program.
For diesel-powered vehicles 1998 model year and newer 14,000lbs and less are subject to the biennial Smog Check Program.

More info for the diesel drivers:
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BAR...ryActions/FAQs for Diesels 12-24-09_Final.pdf

Interesting link that I discovered poking around on the BAR's page:
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx

MissouriCRUISER

74 fj40 smog equipment

I have a 1974 FJ40 with headers and a weber carb I need all the smog equipment that goes on this vehicle so it can pass an arizona smog test does any one have any of these parts smog pump and bracket gas vent canister and smog manifold that connects to each cylinder.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Not familiar with the 2F and it's smog gear but having taken all the smog gear off an FJ62 3F I can't not believe it is a $2k job to fit the smog stuff. In paticular it seems really expensive on the older 2F.

Doubt it helps you but I have all the smog stuff from an FJ62, for sale.

Also what is the big deal with putting an engine in from an FJ62 that had an auto? People convert their FJ62s to H55s all the time.

Expedition Leader
I have a 1974 FJ40 with headers and a weber carb I need all the smog equipment that goes on this vehicle so it can pass an arizona smog test does any one have any of these parts smog pump and bracket gas vent canister and smog manifold that connects to each cylinder.

You will not be able to re-connect the EGR with headers, you need a stock exhaust manifold for that. Don't know if the Weber carb has enough or the right sources of vacuum for all the smog components either.

Beyond those issues, look over on IH8MUD for smog components from guys who have de-smogged theirs. I gave away all my smog stuff after I did mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal