1977 Pop Up Camper Rebuild

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Looks Good Thom. I can hardly wait to see it all cleaned and set up ready for it first trip :camping:[hint,hint].

Thank you for sharing your build with us.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Thom,

The batteries I use, have several different names, Concorde, Chairman, Guardian. all manufactured the same. Are all AGM, they deal mostly with the government, military. I have a friend who's wife works for them, so get a good discount, but they are very expensive, but they really are high level batteries. By far the strongest I have ever seen.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com
951 692 0958

TheThom

Adventurer
I've been laid up since my ankle surgery. Check out my lovely splint.....

That hasn't stopped me from spending even more money on the camper. I ordered all of my propane hoses and fittings. I'm not hardwiring anything, using hoses and I'll camp with two 5 Gal LP propane tanks.

I found a user on ExPo who actually has the same water setup I'm planning on. Eccotemp L5 tankless water heater, shurflo pump, and 5 Gal scepter water can. I'll post the pic with photo credit going to Timber - it's his setup - mine's not even started yet.

Heater.jpg

I'm not going to have the distribution tower, just the water setup will be similar.

Peace out

Thom

TheThom

Adventurer
I found the thread. I have to work those days (of course). I'll also still be in an ortho boot which would kind of ruin a lot of the fun anyway

TheThom

Adventurer
Well, I was upgraded to a walking cast a couple of weeks ago. So, I've been back to work on the camper. I'm sure it's quite a site.

While I was bedridden, I bought a lot of propane supplies and fixtures. This is the collection of fittings that will attach to my propane tank. I've also purchased two 10' extension hoses to use on my camp chef stove and fire pit. I'll probably buy another one for the water heater. Each hose required me to buy another fitting at HD but they were only $2.80 each.

I've kept www.propanewarehouse.com in business

I also bought my new battery. It's an AGM 104 AH battery

This is my vented battery box installed (was actually kind of a pain to seal up)

Then I wried my switch panel back up and wired my instrument panel. I also wired up my 12V outlets. The camper came with a 400W inverter. I don't plan to use it, but I might as well wire it up just in case.

And then I got my accent/night lights wired up. The plan is to have these on so we can move around at night but still have it dark enough for the boys and us to sleep

This means that I need to clean it up, put the roof and canvas on and then I'm ready to go camp in it! [:D]

I've been working on this project for a looooooong time. I'm planning a shakedown run with some buddies before we venture out with a 2 year old and 6 month old.

TheThom

Adventurer
Looks good: what did you use for the accent lighting?

They are outdoor LED landscape lights. I tried to find the link, but I bought them a long time ago and can't find them. Got them on Amazon. They are a big string with screw off connectors b/t each light. Sold to use on a 120V circuit, but I just cut off the transformer and wired it directly.

Flashole

Adventurer
That switch panel looks awesome! Where did you get it? I haven't even begun to thing about lights, batteries, inverters, etc... Wish I had more knowledge in the dept. It was all I could do to get some lighted toggle switches wired correctly in my jeep.

TheThom

Adventurer
That switch panel looks awesome! Where did you get it? I haven't even begun to thing about lights, batteries, inverters, etc... Wish I had more knowledge in the dept. It was all I could do to get some lighted toggle switches wired correctly in my jeep.

Here's the link for switch panel. It's designed for boats, so it's waterproof.

This link has some good summaries about basic electrical

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Awesome build Thom, makes mine look like a weekend project. Almost done, can't wait to see the final result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater