1985 4RNR TRD'ed

something like this? http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/store/no-death-wobble-shackles.html

tighten the bolts down and it locks the shackle arms together, as one unit.

best thing i ever did in that area.

Yep, just like that. I make my own sleeves and buy plates from WFO. As soon as I get my plasma table up and running, I'll be able to make my own.

You'll love the extra power with that setup, I did something similar in my rock crawler a few years ago. I will echo the suggestion of both OME and the sleeve's for the spring bushings.

If you do desire some lift, you can run OME stock (85) rear springs in the front of your rig, and OME rear springs from a 90 pickup in the rear of your rig. These springs are longer and will require the fabrication of new mounts, but they will give you that low lift and decent flex for a low $. I recently did the same setup on a buddies rig and it works great!

Putting the rears up front moves the front axle forward. Obviously you know that, but the OP may not. Where is the OP anyway?

OSV

Adventurer
Yep, just like that. I make my own sleeves and buy plates from WFO. As soon as I get my plasma table up and running, I'll be able to make my own.

i like dave, but the quality on those parts was a bit iffy... the tubes were slightly different lengths, and the chamfers on each end varied, because they looked to be hand-ground, not turned on a lathe, which i think is one of the reasons why some are more difficult to install than others.

it's probably an r.o.i. thing, precision takes longer and raises the manufacturing cost.

if you end up selling your version of these shackles to the public, i'd be interested in checking it out at some point.

Pyro4God

Observer
Up, up, and away!

Finally got the lift in and on. Wow what a difference a 2 inch lift makes! I went from an eighth of an inch of clearance after the oem springs finished sagging under the weight of the swap , to nearly four and a half!

Attachments

• 2016-03-10 15.43.27.jpg
    2016-03-10 15.43.27.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 2016-03-10 15.44.54.jpg
    2016-03-10 15.44.54.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 76
  • 2016-03-10 15.45.55.jpg
    2016-03-10 15.45.55.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 87

Pyro4God

Observer
With a shoehorn and some Vasilene . . .

Paul is an artist. He doesn't like body lifts and neither do I. He cut off the original motor mounts and welded up a new set that dropped down between the rails. He spent more time on measuring and fitting the motor and trans than it took him to remove both motors. He made sure that there would be room to clear the hood for the future supercharger and he even lowered the battery in the bay for purely estetic reasons. His work is as good or better than anyone's that I've ever seen.

Attachments

• 2016-03-26 03.22.37.jpg
    2016-03-26 03.22.37.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 55

Pyro4God

Observer
I went with old man emu heavy duty springs, greasable shackles and old man emu shocks both in the front and the rear. The ride was a little stiff at first, but the ride is still nicer than the old suspension any day of the week.

The HD springs in the rear make it ride high, but I'm sure they will relax over time. You could overload the piss out of it to expedite the process.

Aren't they nice springs though? The clamps, the sleeves in the eyes and the bushings all add up to a really nice package. And the price...can't beat it.

Pyro4God

Observer
Gremlins!

I've been driving around for awhile, trying to see what shakes loose. Ended up finding some issues with gauge cluster not reading right and weird ignition switch issue. Talked to Paul, and him and Zane came all the way down from Fort Collins on spring break to address them. I'm also having some weird grinding sounds and vibration from the drivetrain, but that stuff was a problem before the swap, (I was hoping that they were in the old trans,) and I am having those looked at next week by a local shop that specializes in Toyota. But hey, what's an update with out an upgrade, right? So here is a shot of my latest mod. I think it will increase my mpg, due to the increase in "arrowdynamics.":REOutArchery02:

Attachments

• 2016-04-07 12.59.28.jpg
    2016-04-07 12.59.28.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 34

Pyro4God

Observer
Got the Goods!

In keeping with the OEM Toyota upgrades, I found some 4runner take-offs and wrapped them in some 285/75 r17 BF Goodrich KO2's. I choose to use stock rims to keep myself from being able to buy too big a tire, and the offset keeps them tucked nicely inside the wheel wells. There is some rubbing, but I already have plans to do a IFS hub swap and e-locker rear end. Weirdest part is that the bigger tires corrected the discrepancy in the speedo?
2016-05-09 15.32.41.jpg2016-05-09 15.31.51.jpg2016-05-09 15.29.58.jpg2016-05-09 15.29.05.jpg

Last edited:

Pyro4God

Observer
MY 4RNR HAS SUPER POWERS!
I know it's been a while but I finally got the 4runner project put back on the front burner. Following my trip to Oklahoma, a relay failure caused an overheating problem that melted the half plastic radiator, I finally got a new all aluminum radiator and mechanical fan mounted. Once I had it running as cool as a cucumber I restarted my quest for TRD greatness! After having 3 superchargers sold out from underneath me, I had pretty much given up on all hopes of getting an actual TRD. But in a strange sequence of events, a coworker of mine was working on is own Tacoma and getting parts from a place called Toyo Parts Pro. He mentioned the place to one of my other coworkers and he told me about it. Having never even heard of this place before, I called them on a whim. Asked him if he had any supercharger and he told me no, but he sometimes gets one in, and they go really fast. I told him to give me a call if he ran across one, he said "I'll put you on a list." Pretty much figured that meant I wasn't going to see a supercharger any time soon. Unbelievably, 2 weeks later he text me a video of one running on a motor with the question "Are you still looking for one? Must of been one hella of short list! I rushed down soon as I could and pick it up from him before anyone else buy another one out from under me again. After two weeks of hunting down little parts and gaskets, I am nearly done adding the supercharger, just waiting on a new throttle cable bracket.20180430_130756.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk