1985 Toyota 4x4 EFI Only 50k Miles All Original

bjp91605

So I need a little help please. I came across this truck and I could not say no to the deal. I bought it off the original owners grandson. It is super clean. The body is all original and has never ever been painted. There are a few minor crinkles and minor scratches but for 30 years old its in amazing shape. It has ac, power steering, cigarette lighter, and heater which all work perfectly. When I got it smogged it passed with absolutely no problem, they were all amazed with the numbers and how low they were. The interior looks brand new besides an aftermarket stereo and keyless entry. It drives like a brand new truck. The undercarriage is just as clean as the outside. This truck has been loved. There is only one issue with the automatic transmission and when in normal power mode it goes from 2nd to 4th gear on slow acceleration around 30-35mph. It shifts smoothly and besides that minor issue, its 100 percent perfect. It can be fixed or driven the way it is. After looking through the forums and talking to mechanics, its either a tps or solenoids. That being said, its too nice for me. Im paranoid driving it around. I don't do good with nice things and want someone a little more responsible to have it. I want to sell it. What is this thing worth? I see clean ones like this with 200k plus miles for over $10k all the time. Im guessing putting it on ebay would be my best bet because it would get a nation wide audience which I would think this thing deserves. The truck is in San Diego California now and has been a southern California truck its whole life. There can't be too many more super original trucks out there like this. Any input would be super helpful. Thanks for taking a look!!!!

driver side.jpgdriver side 2.jpgrear passenger.jpgrear driver.jpgodometer.jpgseats and dash.jpgheadliner.jpg

Sam Huynh

Village Idiot
Awesome truck and really nice! Kinda a shame you don't want to keep it. Completely honest I don't think its worth anywhere near 10k. I bought mines for 4k and it was all rebuilt with new everything. Also it appears to be a base model. The auto isn't very desirable, most Ive talked to prefer the 5 speed with full gauges and bucket seats. Just giving you an idea of what to kinda expect sorry. Also is it efi or carbed?

montypower

Adventure Time!
That's a clean rig! Find a Toyota shop to diagnose the transmission. They need to figure out if it's wiring (external) or something internal (like the valve body). Either way shouldn't be too bad to fix. I'd be surprised if someone would pay over $6k for it. It's still a basic strip down truck and most people prefer the manual.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Wow--nice find! It looks like a long-bed as well--is the bed 7 feet?

I wonder if fresh transmission fluid would help it behave better. I've heard of old fluid making auto trannies act funny.

The older Toys do hold some value but I'm not sure if someone would go all the way to $10k. Ebay might be a good bet though--maybe you can get a bidding war started.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I sold my '85 that had some body damage and repaint, damaged front bumper, aftermarket rear bumper, larger than stock tires (brand new w/less than 50 miles), swapped in SR5 bucket seats w/covers, carb'd 22R that had a rebuilt top end, rebuilt 5spd trans., primed bed (prepped for Line-X), peeling original decals, solid axle... for $4,000+.

I think you could easily get $6,000, but I don't know the market where you're at. Up here in the PNW, a truck like that is worth its weight in platinum covered, gold encrusted diamonds. On ebay you might do better than $6,000 in my opinion. That truck is amazing and someone will happily shell out some cash for it. You just have to find the right buyer like I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333