1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I just want everyone here to know that Mr. Leary is an outstanding fella. Great adventurer and super nice guy. I mean hell, he hauled my junk almost 200 miles from Oklahoma back to Texas and I never once heard him complain! Well, except pulling my junk around corners.... jerkily! It took 194 miles to figure out how to make a corner!

Anyways, Kacy and I want to thank you and the Mrs. so much for all your help, patience, and companionship! I already have a bucket full of I.O.U.'s to you guys!

So Thanks AGAIN Mr. Leary!

Aww... c'mon. You would have done the same on my side of the coin. I'm sure many of the folks here would have done the same in that position. You are welcome. Now lets get your junk fixed!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Tps

10 Inspect Throttle Position Sensor Faulty or Incorrectly Connected Throttle Position Sensor.

Check this again too. My 98 4Runner had a similar episode, when I tested the TPS, it tested as good, but when I replaced it, it fixed the problem.

good luck

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Here is a drawing I did of a roof rack supported between the top and bed. I think it would seal fine along the side but the top might leak where it meets the cab.

rack.jpg

journey...!

Awesome drawing! I wish I could do that! Stick some lights on top! Sweet! Now that's what I'm talking about! I love the side bike storage idea, but I wonder about the inside pedal hitting the side of the rig (would it?). I think any water problem could be resolved with rubber fittings.

Oh!...and here is some great Journey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barLaHrtvoM

Great Job!.....:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! Looks like a new one is in my future too.

I've got access to a performance header now that my exhaust is screwy, I'm probably going to take it to a shop and go back from the header. I've been reading and it sounds like a high-flow cat might be the way to go, one such as Magnaflow, as well as 2.25" pipe and then a high flow muffler.
I'm wondering if just going to 2.25" pipe and using a generic cat and muffler would be sufficient?

JCwhitney has some catalytic converters for $60:
2-1/4"ID Inlet/Outlet Universal Catalytic Converter
G_16218G_SW_1.gif

and then a turbo muffler for ~$30
G_20435G_SW_1.gif

RU55ELL

Explorer
That sounds really big for a 4cyl. I remember reading on Pirate4x4 of people using 2.25 on the 3.0 and losing a ton of torque.

EDIT: I looked on LCE's site and their systems are 2.25. May be alright.

Last edited:

corax

Explorer
2.25" is a good size for a 22RE, I wouldn't go any larger (been there, done that, 2.5" wasn't very good, 2.25" was nice)

JCWhitney cats are alright, last time I bought one I got a MagnaFlow (from Summit IIRC) - you probably won't notice any difference between a "high flow" and a regular cat

As far as mufflers go . . . that's mostly personal taste as to how loud you want it. Years ago I had a SpinTech Muffler that sounded really sweet (not loud, not quiet, just right). They're a bit pricey but are built sturdy (16 gauge steel shell). The Flowmaster Delta 50 that I have on now isn't bad either though

2.25" is a good size for a 22RE, I wouldn't go any larger (been there, done that, 2.5" wasn't very good, 2.25" was nice)

JCWhitney cats are alright, last time I bought one I got a MagnaFlow (from Summit IIRC) - you probably won't notice any difference between a "high flow" and a regular cat

As far as mufflers go . . . that's mostly personal taste as to how loud you want it. Years ago I had a SpinTech Muffler that sounded really sweet (not loud, not quiet, just right). They're a bit pricey but are built sturdy (16 gauge steel shell). The Flowmaster Delta 50 that I have on now isn't bad either though

I'm actually wanting a quieter system. I dont mind a nice tone, as long as it doesnt sound like an under powered rally car!

That spin tech muffler looks pretty awesome. I've never seen one like that!
home_right_image.png

Edit: "quieter system" NOT meaning quieter than what is stock but less than most ricer exhausts.

Last edited:

bmh

Adventurer
LA, get your pictures fixed. I was excited to read your build up thread, and there aren't any pictures...

LA, get your pictures fixed. I was excited to read your build up thread, and there aren't any pictures...

Haha, funny guy.

$39.90 just got us two years of unlimited bandwidth and photo storage!
doh.gif

Been working on this today...... New Center console, overall dimensions are 19x 13. Two compartments for the main section
17568_548141478541_62002887_32074436_582669_n.jpg

17568_548141483531_62002887_32074437_6010260_n.jpg

As it will sit in the truck...

Tomorrow, I'm going to paint it inside and out to seal the particle board, then wrap it in vinyl and some aluminum angle.

Going to mount a cup holder to the front also... $25 from tuffy:
1764-lg.jpg

I have also had an issue of a soggy passenger side floor board.... so i took some seam sealer and filled all the cracks I could find, and then as an added measure, layed this junk on pretty thick!
17568_548141468561_62002887_32074434_5502031_n.jpg

Its supposed to work as a sound deadener too. I might apply it to the floor board inside as well... but afraid it might stink a bit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal