1987 4Runner- Expedition Build Up.

RU55ELL

Explorer
The welder is gasless, so the welds arent going to look that great anyways.

RU55ELL, on most of the welds, I grounded them usually within a foot of the welding location.

A newb question, since you say I'm going too fast, do I need to build up more of a puddle as I move along? I've got the welder set on the highest setting and it is making the metal glow red around the weld and then turning nice an blue around and behind the welds (as in the butt joint for the frame locations).

I own the previous model of your same welder. Flux-core wire, no gas. These are from when I welded the axle brace on my housing:

Picture008.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

When I said ground, I didn't mean grounding the welder to the slider, I meant the weld before you used a grinder, ground is the past tense of grind.

What I meant was you are travelling too fast with the bead. When you travel too quickly, your penetration is not as good so your bond/weld will not be as good. When you are welding, are you using any kind of pattern, i.e. crescent, circular?

I own the previous model of your same welder. Flux-core wire, no gas. These are from when I welded the axle brace on my housing:

When I said ground, I didn't mean grounding the welder to the slider, I meant the weld before you used a grinder, ground is the past tense of grind.

What I meant was you are travelling too fast with the bead. When you travel too quickly, your penetration is not as good so your bond/weld will not be as good. When you are welding, are you using any kind of pattern, i.e. crescent, circular?

Ahh Gotcha. Duh.

I slowed my travel down a bit on some of the welds today... but still dont look as good as the ones you are showing.... They do look better though.

I am using a circular pattern.

I've finished the driver's side slider and primed it. Drilled the holes through the floor pan for the vertical mounts. Will mount them up later today for pics, but, the sliders are going to be welded to the frame.... or, I may just bolt them, since the frame is pretty thick to be welding to.... I think anyways... haha

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
haha @ the burned nuts...funny because you didn't actualy burn them and I have done the same thing.

welds look real nice for no gas....

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Highly recommend not attaching to both the frame and the body. Because of the rubber body mounts they do not move together. If you "bridge the gap" with the sliders something will have to give. Usually it is the sheet metal that gives up first. Unless you like the symphony of metallic crickets.....
:)

If you are welding to the frame I'll suggest cutting out some doubler plates that are welded to the slider legs and to the frame. Ideal thickness is the nearest match to the frame rail thickness as is reasonable. Making them 'mongo thick' just makes them a "oil can opener" working on the frame rail. Make them bigger than just the ends of the legs and make them such that when welded you will not have weld beads that run straight up and down on the frame rail. Diamond shapes and rectangular plates with notches (round or 'V') in the vertical ends are two shapes commonly used to do this.

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I've pretty much got them finished... I might leave the driver's side alone and do it right on the passenger side. Dont want to go back now.

AttoirRERE

Hey, I know you.

Had to make a new account to get it working. But, here I is.

Nice rig. Almost makes me wanna get one.

Oh, wait... I did.

czenkov

Adventurer
Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters

Also highly recommend Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. I have been buying the stuff for my Tacoma build from him and I have to say he is a good guy, highly knowledgeable and the prices are good as well. Nice truck BTW.

Attachments

• IMG_2895.JPG
    IMG_2895.JPG
    789.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2725.JPG
    IMG_2725.JPG
    592.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Had to make a new account to get it working. But, here I is.

Nice rig. Almost makes me wanna get one.

Oh, wait... I did.

I convinced Joseph here to avoid the Heeps and find a Toyota, he picked up a second gen 5spd V6 for like 800.
Here is Joseph in Mexico earlier this year, on his preferred mode of transportation:
9031_541375183251_62002887_31875048_6112754_n.jpg

:sombrero:

I went ahead and replaced the exhaust manifold gasket today.... but still have a leak, at the down pipe gasket... pulled that apart and found...

IMG_1146.jpg

What do I call these so I can get them at the parts store?

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

I do have the bracket that goes down to the bell housing, but....... the exhaust is being strapped to that bracket by three hose clamps. I've got an exhaust hanger bracket that I'm going to try and finagle to clamp the pipe to the bracket until I can find a replacement in a junk yard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater