1989 4Runner Expo Build

I thought I would start a new build thread on the 4Runner I'm putting together. Here is what I started with:

1989 4Runner
22RE
auto-trans
a/c
88,000 miles
plain-jane interior (no power anything)

Last edited:
Here is a PhotoShop of what the truck should look like when completed: (the fuel cans may go, they should be yellow anyway)

Last edited:
After finding this forum and one other site for expedition travel, I ended up removing all the mods I made previously. There are so many great ideas here!

Goals for truck:

seats three
sleeps three INSIDE (fairly comfortably)
onboard shower (no propane)
interior sink and countertop with food-prep area
12v fridge-freezer
interior (fresh) water storage 20-gallons
aux fuel tank 27-gallons
urinal inside truck (thanks to this site for the idea)
microwave (for miserable-cold weather when I can't / won't cook outside
room for lots of gear without needing a roof rack
room for five to sit upright and enjoy the visit
diesel engine conversion

I think that's all of it. I hope you folks enjoy the build. All ideas and input are welcome! If I'm screwing upsomewhere, please jump right inand tell me. This is my first build of this kind.

Roy

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
That's is awesome, I love those 1st gen 4-runners.

What diesel are you looking at? Keeping it Toyota or maybe Mercedes Benz?? Not sure what the smog laws are in MD, but you may want to check into it. Could be VERY painful or easy depending on the laws regarding the engine swap.

Just saw that you are in Frederick, my wife went to HOOD. Needles to say I have spent many weekends up there.

Last edited:
ChuckB said:
That's is awesome, I love those 1st gen 4-runners.

What diesel are you looking at? Keeping it Toyota or maybe Mercedes Benz?? Not sure what the smog laws are in MD, but you may want to check into it. Could be VERY painful or easy depending on the laws regarding the engine swap.

Maryland said "bring it in when you get the emmisions notice, we walk out, see it's really a diesel, and we write up a waiver."

I already have the Mercedes turbo-diesel and auto-transmission.

Roy

I found this little beauty on eBay. Cost-$3.00........but I did have to drive two hours to get it. It was about 12" too long for the 4Runner, and it obviously wasn't going on the truck without some mods. I kept only the top 6" of the top, and i trashed the rest. I was going to use the rear doors, but the skin was really thin steel, and the inner structure was aluminum. I don't have a TIG, and using bolts wasn't an option.

So, I removed the fiberglass top and tailgate. (rusted out and rear window broken)

Then, I came across a PC server cabinet that was being tossed. This thing is incredibly well made and heavy-duty construction. A great source of body panels and thick reinforcements was now in the garage.

Last edited:

jingram

Adventurer
I was watching your thread anxiously over on 4wdtrips.net. It was a really great thread and you were doing great fab work. Why did you have the thread removed and are acting like you just started the build? You were really far along in the process and had some great pictures. Did you start over? Looking forward to seeing the end result! :ylsmoke:

jingram said:
I was watching your thread anxiously over on 4wdtrips.net. It was a really great thread and you were doing great fab work. Why did you have the thread removed and are acting like you just started the build? You were really far along in the process and had some great pictures. Did you start over? Looking forward to seeing the end result! :ylsmoke:

I didn't mean to imply I just started the new build, only that I just started the new thread. The reason I deleted the thread, is that I gutted almost all my work and started over. It is a better design top to bottom.

I thought the fact that more photos would be posted today would give away the fact that this was started a while ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater