1991 B250 4x4 build

bernefj60

Hi guys,

I'm a new poster, but have been lurking for years. I finally got a van that i can build into a multi-purpose work/play truck (so my Denali stops getting the crap beat out of it.) I'll use it during the week for taking large projects (i own a sign company) to clients, and on the weekend/vacations for trips. I'd like to build it like a Weekender. Enough room for 6 to ride and sleep comfortably, with room for gear. It's huge - i don't see it being an issue.

So, to whit I found and purchased, much to my wife's ire, a 1991 B250 (long) RamVan on CL for cheap ($350!). Runs great, looks like a bag of *****. Peeling paint, minor rust. Engine and trans are solid, though!

the main problem was that the front suspension was a mess. I needed to replace an upper control arm (ds), ball joints, shocks, sway bar end links, etc. Looks like it had been parked in seawater for a year. Oh yeah, the entire upper control ARM had to be replaced - the whole thing. Why? Yeah, it had rusted through at the rearmost bolt. You heard me right - it had separated from the rearmost bushing eye. I've seen some rusty stuff before but that took the cake.

Anyhow, I've been Land Cruiser (hence the name) guy for years and finally sold my last 40 (kids). I owned a 77 Tradesman in college (total shaggin wagon) ago and so I figure this van can pull double-duty as a work hauler and family (minus the wife - she refuses to get near it) camper, but...

It needs four wheel drive.

And I need a project.

Judging from my trip to the end of the Internet and back, i'm not the only one lamenting the general dearth of information/parts/interest in a kit of any sort for this application. The consensus seems to be that it's a complete waste of time and next to impossible without copious amounts of money and general lack of good sense.

But, after staring at it for a long time i'm thinking it cant be that hard. (famous last words, right?)

So, i need you all to tell me how wrong and nuts I am, if i am…

I want to run 33's. So i'm not going for a ton of lift. SO, here's the plan:

1. source complete front axle. Make sure the gears are the same and pumpkin is offset to the drivers side. Looks like the 73-79 Fords had a 66" WMS measurement and a drivers side offset…66 is probably about right for the width.

2. Remove (torch) off all the front end brackets, etc. Only issue i can see here is that the front crossmember supports the engine, too. So I'll add some bumpstops to stop any contact - even though i plan on using fairly flat springs, I doubt it'll articulate enough to make contact.

3. Postion the axle under the van and, using a plumb bob, position the axle in the center of the wheel arch. (I may have to reposition the perches to align with the frame, but lets assume i've done that and the spring hangers are built for the rears.)

4. Fack rear spring hangers in place. measure the distance from end of the frame to end of the spring. This will be the length of my frame extensions, which, judging from the snubbed dodge front end, i assume with be necessary.

5.Fabricate front frame extensions, permanent rear spring hangers. (sleeve tube stock, 1/4" plate lots of bolts and welds, etc. Obviously safety and accuracy is a priority, so I'll model all the parts in Inventor before i have them laser cut). I plan on building a front bumper for this and integrate the suspension design into it.

6. Sort the steering out. Double steering arm may be in order. We'll see. There are a ton of arms our there for the dana 44 that i'm sure I can have reamed to the proper dimension to accept the Dodge TRE's. AS the current setup is IFS, I figure the entire steering setup will get redesigned. there's currently an idler arm and center pivot, which will all go away in favor of a simple push-pull setup. (box drives steering rod to passenger side, which drive tie rod to driver. Drop pitman arm? probably) Again, i can't see this being terribly difficult so far, just time consuming.

7. once this is all set up, i'll add the shock towers (F250?) to the frame and shock tabs to the D44. They'll likely sit at the axle centerline.

8. Now to the rear. I want a low lift, so i'll probably just level it out so it's even with the front with some 2" lift springs and level it as need be with (ugh) blocks. I know, but i can't imagine they'll be taller than an 1" or so.

9. Source a drivers side drop 205 or dana 300. Ford made a drivers drop 205, i know. I'd like to use off the shelf parts as much as possible, to make replacement that mush easier. So if i get a ford front axle and t-case, so much the better. I'm sure if i poke around enough i'll find a 300 flip kit. I'll need a clocking ring to get the t-case output and pinion flange to line up a little better. They maybe be off by a bit, but that's not a big deal. I've seen a lot worse.

I haven"t decided whether or not to use a divorced setup or mated. Divorced sounds easier, but if i can find a 727/205 or 300 combo i'll use that. I considered swapping out the 727 for a 518 (727 with OD) but the OD os so tall on the 518 (basically a 727 with an OD unit) at .69, i think that the trans would hunt with the 318 and big tires. So, i'll just stick with the 318. At 171K it shifts well, but I'll be it could stand to be refreshed soon. For now, a fluid change will suffice. Once everything is up i'll find/fab a crossmember, measure for the driveshafts, and have them built. I *might* get lucky with having the truck driveshaft lengthened/shortened, we'll see. Thoughts?

I'll have to fabricate the linkage for the t-case, but after some head scratching and some knuckle banging, I bet I can get the truck linkage to work.

Looking at the exhaust i don't think it'll be in the way, but it's pretty straightforward if i have to move it.

So, besides being a ton of work, are there any obvious flaws in my plan?

Once the suspension is sorted i'll move on to the interior. that's another can of worms entirely. Where the H#ll do i find a pop top for one of these???

TIA

Rob

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
arnt the dodge vans partial uni-body?

ford has a 205 driver drop.

a 44 will handle the weight as long as your not thrashin on it..just watch your clearance on the exhaust with the driveshaft..

why not do a coil over suspension and you can limit how tall it is (unless your going for height)..but the leafs do add a simplicity factor.

head to pirate 4x4 and do a search on people converting 2wd to 4wd or the f150's swap to solid axle (SAS swaps)...

but sounds like ya know what needs done...

good luck finding a top...I was gonna get another van of the same year and peel the roof off and to a GTRV style pop-top (the whole thing goes up not just one end..but slim-compared to the sportsmobile)..

bernefj60

arnt the dodge vans partial uni-body?

Reply: You know, i've seen that a few places, but looking at it, i see a body on frame. Unless i'm blind...

ford has a 205 driver drop.

a 44 will handle the weight as long as your not thrashin on it..just watch your clearance on the exhaust with the driveshaft..

Reply: Good call, was just out wrench on the front end, again, and noticed it may be tight.

why not do a coil over suspension and you can limit how tall it is (unless your going for height)..but the leafs do add a simplicity factor.

head to pirate 4x4 and do a search on people converting 2wd to 4wd or the f150's swap to solid axle (SAS swaps)…

Reply: I thought about this once i saw this photo (see below). Doesn't seem like a bad idea if by some stroke of luck the coil buckets line up with the frame rails. I get to ditch the IFS and still keep the coils. Keeps me from having to build the frame extensions...

but sounds like ya know what needs done...

good luck finding a top...I was gonna get another van of the same year and peel the roof off and to a GTRV style pop-top (the whole thing goes up not just one end..but slim-compared to the sportsmobile)..

Reply: Why didn't you?

Attachments

• dana44_solidf150.jpg
    dana44_solidf150.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 70

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
fuel mileage decrease
ride comfort
ability to fit into standard garage..

and I always have another 4x4 to do pullin duties at the farm..but alas Im now in the suburbs and have a flat and small yard...

bernefj60

OK, I've been doing some pretty intensive research and have figured out what's possible and not concerning my conversion.

So, what I've discovered is that a front axle and case from a Ford truck will fit, but as i was driving around that other day I noticed that Jeeps have that same dana 44 and drivers' drop case. Looks like the Grand Wagoneer from the 80's also MIGHT be about the same width. Also, if I'm not mistaken, both Dodge and Jeeps used the 727 trans.

What i'm thinking is that i can replace the tail housing (or the whole trans if the spline counts are different) from the 4 wheel drive Jeep 727 and add some Coil buckets to the front axle and...Viola! I'll obviously need to add some custom trailing arms and a track bar, but that's the easy part. There are a million parts for Jeeps and the MOPAR heritage is still there, so it seems there would be some crossover parts.

What i need to know is if the bell housings on the transmissions are the same? Anyone know the WMS width on the Jeep Dana 44? Are there obvious flaws in my plan? It can't be this easy or someone else would have done it, right?

Also, somewhat unrelated, but i saw this van while I was visiting my family last week in LA. Lifted. I think it's 2 wheel drive - i have my nephew taking pics tomorrow.

Rob

Attachments

• jeep-grand-wagoneer.jpg
    jeep-grand-wagoneer.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen shot 2010-08-08 at 9.25.34 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-08-08 at 9.25.34 PM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 40

scotter

Observer
converting your 727 to 4x4 is pretty strait forward. you will need to change out the mainshaft and tailhousing. If you want to go that route I have and extra shaft and tail housing for bolting up to a 208. I might even have a 208 kicking around.

I am also doing a 4x4 dodge van, but am using a chevy axle with the pass side drop. The front axle I am using for now is from an 82 K20 truck and the width is just under 69" wide from WMS to WMS It has drive flange hubs from a 74 K20 but I dont think that has changed the overall width.

For the rear I found dana 60 from the rear of a 74 B300 van. It's a direct bolt in for my 84 and is 70" wide from WMS to WMS. the stock 84 Dana 60 is much narrower and this fixxes the goofy narrow track. they were avail in the 74-75 b300 vans and possibly others (motor homes come to mind). mine is clearly set up for duals even though I will be running a single rear wheels

The dodge vans are unibody by definition because the floor pan and bodyshell are welded to the frame rails and crossmembers. You can pretty much do you conversion just like any other 4x4 project you just cant take the body off of the frame.

Whatever axles you chose look for ones that are in the 68 to 70 inch wide range between the Wheel Mounting Surfaces and they should work out well under your van :smiley_drive:

Regarding the springs I choose to use rear springs from a F250, they are only 24" from the centering pin to the front bushing and they are 3" wide. This puts them right under your bumper. You shouldnt need frame extensions, just fab a cross member of sorts that has you spring hangers built in. Another benifit to this configuration is that it will reinforce your frame (a good thing if you are going to notch the crossmember) I did this exact setup on my last 4x4 van and it worked very well. the only problem I can see with the Ford springs is that they may not be flat enough for you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat