1991 RRC vs 1995 Disco

Charo

Observer
Thought I'd get some input from you guys on an upgrade option I have found. Currently I'm driving a 91 RRC with 215,000 miles on it. The engines got some issues and I'm needing to do something about it. Ran across a 95 Disco with 5 speed that only has 97,000 on it. I didn't realize how bad my 3.9 sounded until I fired this one up. The truck seems good mechanically, but is suffering from a few cosmetic issues - mainly the typical dash falling apart, worn out seats and it's missing the bumpers. Otherwise the body is straight. The guy is only asking $2500 on the Disco and I could move my OME suspension from the RRC across. I'd love to have a 5 speed, but prefer the looks of my RRC. Any thoughts from you guys with experience on either of these?

evilfij

Explorer
95 disco 5 speed is as good as rovers come. No stupid pump based brakes, 14CUX but with the serp belt front cover. If the trans is in good shape and it is rust free, I would go for it. Someone will probably give you the bumpers for free. I actually preferred driving my discos to my current LWB.

94Discovery

Adventurer
i will go with the disco i had an rrc and when i bought a disco i fell in love with it and 94/95 is trouble free with the 14cux and dizzy ,and with the raised roof i can drive without tilting my head foreword like in the rrc

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Other than the engine, what condition is your RRC in compared to the D1? If the engine is the only thing that is "knackered" then why not keep what you have and put a rebuilt engine in it. Much easier than sorting out a car you dont know the history on and swaping your suspension parts. Besides, you can use this as an opportunity to upgrade to the 4.6 or do a 350 conversion. If you really want to row your gears, then why not find a rebuilt 4.6 and 5spd transmission? Just some thoughts.

I've owned 7 land rovers. Obviously, not as many as some on this board (and other boards) have owned, but enough to have learned that I would have been better off keeping what I had and fixing it vs. buying another LR thinking I would get something better. That's a generalized statement, and doesnt mean that I havent enjoyed all of my LRs, but fixing what you have generally is better than buying something else in my opinion.

rover4x4

Adventurer
buy the Disco and put the driveline in the Classic problem solved. RRC's are the best thing that ever left Lode Lane

greenrover

I'd fix the RRC, or buy the Disco and swap to the RRC as suggested. I miss, and regret selling, my 87 RRC - and always will. Then again, I am partial to the 87-89 vintage.

Dave

Charo

Observer
buy the Disco and put the driveline in the Classic problem solved. RRC's are the best thing that ever left Lode Lane

That was certainly a thought. I had figured when the engine cratered on the RRC, I would look for a wrecked Disco with the 5spd and do the swap, but this one is rust free and seats 7 which makes it more family friendly. The RRC doesn't have a straight panel on it, the heater core flooded the interior so it has no floor mat/carpet in the front and gets hotter-n-hell in the summer. The rear end needs rebuilt, etc, etc. Having no bumpers on the Disco would be a really good excuse for an ARB replacement too!:)

Charo

Observer
Much easier than sorting out a car you dont know the history on and swaping your suspension parts. Besides, you can use this as an opportunity to upgrade to the 4.6 or do a 350 conversion. If you really want to row your gears, then why not find a rebuilt 4.6 and 5spd transmission? Just some thoughts.

but fixing what you have generally is better than buying something else in my opinion.

I tend to agree with you on this - better the devil you know than the one you don't. Rovers are hard to come by in this part of Texas and are generally used as soccer haulers rather than off-road. This RRC is my second Rover, my first was an 83 110 and my third (just acquired) is a '63 Series IIA. The crazy thought of buying the Disco and putting the Series body on it has even crossed my mind.:Wow1:

cosmic88

Observationalist
Disclaimer...

...I am completely biased. :)

Between the two you have though I'd have to go with the D1.

HOWEVER, if you can unload the '91 and pick up a late '93 or '94 RRC then you'll be sittin pretty! A 4.2 would be the cherry on top...

apexcamper

Carefully scripted chaos
Seems as good a place as any to post this.

I have a '94 RRC LWB (with the 4.2). Engine runs good, not great, but good. 140,000 on the OD and the body is in great shape. Truck is rust free and with some small cosmetic exceptions, interior is pretty good. I had a '98 D1 and loved it, but like the added rear leg room and storage space of the LWB.

I want a diesel and a manual tranny...the 4.2l drinks gas (dont want diesel for mileage in terms of saving gas, but more for getting longer range on a tank...shooting for at least 1000 miles between fill ups) and with third-world destinations on my list, not being picky about fuel quality is important. Clearly my options here are:

A. Ditch my RRC and buy a diesel Land Rover. On my budget I could afford an older 110 or series III 109, dont really want a short wheel based RRC or Disco...trying to stay at or above 108" and need 4 doors. I have also heard great things about the 200TDi and 300TDi...and nothing outstanding about the 2.5 diesel turbo in older LRs

B. Convert my RRC to a 200TDi with a manual tranny with the help of a strong engined, yet major rear-end body damage, 1992 D1 donor vehicle.

Option "B" makes me ask; Are many of the parts from the D1 exchangable on the RRC, would it be a pretty simple (little to fabricate) bolt-in swap?

I guess that is the real question here, is the swap a worthwhile pursuit...I LOVE the look of my RRC and the interior comfort it offers over the older defenders and series III, but not looking to majorly carve up my truck if it is a better option to just get a different.

My RRC LWB
Peacock_flats(206).jpg

Last edited:

Snagger

Explorer
I have to be honest - while the body shell of the Discovery is more practical, allowing seven occupants if you have the dickie seats or five occupants and agood amount of boot space, while the RRC's second row passengers are more squeezed with poor leg room (unless you have an LSE) and relatively poor boot space, the RRC just looks so much nicer. It's a bit better for driving around town, too, just because you can get it into multi-storey or height restricted car parks which often preclude Discoverys and Defenders. I still don't much like the dash of the standard RRCs - the 94/95 soft dash was a huge improvement, but I don't like the 200Tdi Discovery interiors either.

So, I think on balance that if the choice was between an early discovery and the RRC, I'd have the RR; between a late DI and a typical RRC I'd have the DI, but any DI vs a soft dash and I'd have the RR.

I'm lucky - I have a coil sprung 300Tdi manual soft dash RRC, and these sorts of discussions assure me that I'm not crazy in spending a small fortune in trying to look after it and planning to restore it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk