1993 Starcraft Roadmaster 850. Finally out camping.

jrod420

Observer
Pretty sure this is the one and the same. Was it on a lifted red black Super duty?

Got the rotted wood filled on the sides. Filled with pl400 and then used a die grinder to reshape the ends. I will post some pics later tonight. Painted the corner brackets and drilled for the Heco brackets to fit inside them. Looks nice, gonna work great I think. I will post some pics tonight.

jrod420

Observer
From this:
20150516_144640.jpg
to this:
20150526_063830.jpg
To this! I 'm trying to see if I put enough tools close to the problem area if it will fix itself!
Also you will notice I trimmed 3.75 inches of the tin off the rear. It was the tin that was compromised by the clearance lights and cam buckles. Also compromised by some huge lag screws that the PO used in a repair attempt.
20150621_230630.jpg
So the sides were pretty rotten near the ends. I would say about 1.5 inches of wood was compromised at the deepest points. Both from the ends and from underneath the sides.
20150526_063807.jpg
This is after I filled the area with pl400 and ground it to shape. Looks good and really solid.
20150616_112251.jpg
So these are the brackets that I built to strengthen the rear corners and distribute the twisting force of the Heco lift system.
20150616_112353.jpg
They are a little crude but will get the job done really well. I also plan to use them for the awning mount, lights,
20150616_112407.jpg
Bracket from the inside.
20150621_230720.jpg
From the outside
20150621_230546.jpg
You can see how it fits together.
20150621_230555.jpg
Gotta trim down some of the vinyl to the roof contour and will take some pics after.

brodiee2

Yea that would have been the one red super duty in his back yard. I did see that other one jrod but he wasn't willing to negotiate on his price at all sadly.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Those brackets are very nice. I'm thinking for someone not doing the same amount of disassembly as you but wanting to reinforce that area, an L shaped bracket on the outside and one on the inside, bolted together would also provide significant reinforcement even if not welded together.

Last edited:

jrod420

Observer
Thanks for the compliment! The brackets are way overbuilt for the application. A much simpler corner bracket on the outside would stop the bolts from damaging the roof and twisting the rear panel upwards in the middle. I did mine that way because it the lumber was totally missing in the rear ends of the side panels. I hope to add a strong awning mount and light mounts to the brackets.

Last edited:

jrod420

Observer
20150701_221725.jpg
Here is some update pics. The white wood is vinyl.
20150705_161502.jpg
Shot of the corner bracket installed. No caulk yet. The lower edge of the vinyl is beveled 30 * to the inside to create a drip edge away from the camper. The front will be the same minus the brackets. The old tin is sandwiched between two pieces of vinyl 3/4 board. Very stout and waterproof.
20150705_161525.jpg
You can almost see the new FantasticFan. All these tools are required to install fan.
20150705_161546.jpg
Front corner pass side. Dont know where the small pinhole came from...Rock or branch or something PO related.
20150705_161601.jpg
Front corner drivers side. The brown is PL400 adhesive. Should waterproof the front edges of the side boards somewhat.
20150705_161610.jpg
Pic of the new front. I cut out the tin that was riddled with holes from the lights. What a silly way to build, 6 lights with 2 small and 1 big hole each. Sounds smart on a forward facing flat surface. Anyway, my new front has no holes, and no lights. Take that DOT! I will add reflectors of I get in trouble.
Picking up canvas tonight or tomorrow. Finished roof today so I will update pics as soon as I hire someone to clean all the tools off the roof and my tidy my garage.

jrod420

Observer
Sheesh, got the roof back on. Sure looks nicer than the green tarps I had on it.
20150708_064431.jpg

20150708_064443.jpg
When I purchased the camper I could put my hands in through the back just above the door. I could see inside the camper with the lid latched, there was such a gap. The roof was seriously twisted either from an impact or the torsion lift or a combination. All I have to do now is zeus the catches onto the rear corner brackets for the rear latch system. Install the canvas. Canvas guy is another story...Install the seal and go camping this weekend.
20150708_064459.jpg

jrod420

Observer
This past weekend the wife and I made it to the mountains with the Yamaha's and the refreshed Starcraft Roadmaster 850. I don't know how many times in talking about this thing I have called it a Skamper...Explains some of the strange looks.
So all in purchase price included all mounting hardware, jacks, extensions for lifted rigs, tripod feet, rotted roof front and rear, gross mold, bad roof electrical, tons of dog hair, stairs for lifted rigs, propane tank, working fridge, working stove, working furnace, working inverter, gross moldy/threadbare canvas, and other small awesomes that I have forgot to mention. Anway, $2500.00CAD.
We had the canvas remade with new tinted windows and screens, zippers and the lower flaps extended by two inches. It may not seem like much but the added coverage is piece of mind. Also the front of the camper gets covered in bug guts while mobile and we found that when the flap is deployed while camping it is in contact with the fresh bug juices. Canvas guy sewed in a heavy duty vinyl backing into the front flap that is very easy to clean. Canvas guy $800.00CAD
The vinyl boards that I used to repair the front and rear roof panels were $31.00CAD each. I used 4, and have enough leftover to cover the rest of the light holes in the roof panel to eliminate any further leaking. $124.00CAD.
Rubber bed mat=$125.00CAD
Fantastic Fan, screw strip flat and edge, screw strip cover, porch light, butyl tape, caulking, hardware, adhesives $350.00CAD.
$3900.00 after the repairs, what matters is that its weatherproof and ours. :ylsmoke:

Lynx Creek 2015.jpg

It felt great going down the highway, the low profile is way better than the early 80's hard side I used for only 1 camping trip(too heavy for offroad camping). We used to tent out of a Jeep and were trying out options.
The old Ford is a 7.5Lgas f250 2"lift, 35,000 miles, with a 5speed Manual and has no trouble with the weight of the Starcraft and trailer/quads. In the picture I am trying out a new tilt loading atv trailer I purchased, don't know If I like it or not as it sure rattles and clangs going down the road or trail. Both atv's fit side by side north south, my other trailer is side by side east west. I like the narrower trailer for the tight trails. The point is the tilt trailer is too low for some spots I like to camp in and It sure got drug around on its frame getting to the creekside.

Lynx Creek Camp August 1015 (12).jpg

The extended flaps are pictured here. Cord is for the solar panel that is temp on the roof. I don't know whether to hard mount it or pack it inside the camper all the time...
There is slack in the corners of the canvas because the wife and I have been wondering what the best solution for retaining the canvas in the corners might be. When it was removed it was bunched up and screwed to the wood with wood screws. It did hold for 25 years that way I guess. The wife thinks some HD velcro might be the ticket. Still worked great, water tight, and we got some, windproof as it blows 40 mph sometimes.

Lynx Creek Camp August 1015 (9).jpg

I knew the front of the camper would get pasted in insect carnage when driving down the highway and had the canvas guy sew in a cleanable liner to the inside of the front flap. He used a HD vinyl that wipes easily. Wish I would've taken a pic of that, maybe I will this weekend... It did its trick, regular canvas would soak up those juices on contact....Ewwwww. :ylsmoke: Don't mind the caulked over light socket, I have plans to remove all of them and replace with vinyl board as well. Some things were done in haste to get going(I procrastinate...):ylsmoke:

Lynx Creek Camp August 1015 (10).jpg

We bought this when we used to tent camp. It serves as the bugproof/waterproof kitchen and dining area if need be. Entry on either side with awnings on all 4 sides. A super sturdy camping utility table holds the Coleman two burner and a flat folding table for preparation. The black table in the pic is actually the bottom of some tubular racking that I found sitting just like that in the middle of the highway. Undamaged. Been using it for years as it also colapses flat and stores well. In the bottom left are some zero gravity chairs. Long gone are the days of those peasant camping chairs, you know, with the soft horrible cupholders and the low back that had no support and the front edge that seemed to put your legs to sleep. Anyway, if you have never tried a zero gravity chair, you should. You won't go back, and they fold up pretty flat as well.

Lynx Creek Camp August 1015 (7).jpg

Here is another with the chairs:ylsmoke:, and the rear of the camper. The camper is not really level here and pulls the canvas funny. I have some nice carpet to cover the tailgate/porch.

Lynx Creek Camp August 1015 (8).jpg

Pic of my wonderful wife and the mountains. Always thankful that we can go to these places...
It was 35 degrees Celsius during the day in the sun. We stopped here to wash the dust off our faces and have a hot coffee. I have a thing for perked coffee in the mountains...

LostCreekLoop August 2015 (5).jpg

We had a great time in the new to us camper. I hope that it will last another 25 years! I hope to get some wheeling pics up this year with the camper and the truck on 40's. We will see how the year progresses! Thanks for all the help and advise during the roof rebuild, things were learned, tools were used, time was saved, fun was had. I have some other questions that I will post up later.:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater