1994 Land Cruiser Build! Pic heavy.

60Dan

Explorer
Doubt it, the seal was probably the original.
Changed my diff oil last year and the seal blew out about a month ago

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
Don't forget to do a break in on that new diff! It'd be a shame to weaken it after forking out the dough for a new one.

ETA- you old housing is worth a fair amount. Guys with smaller Toyotas like the high pinion diff for reducing driveline angle.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Great pics btw! It's a great feeling to get into those diffs and get new bearings anyway. I'd be happy to find a new home for the gears :)

Also, remember that 7-pin mod whenever one end is behaving badly you can drop and axle and 2wd it home.

Paul

Added note - if you lock the center diff and pull the fuse it will stay locked without a pin 7 mod. Also when removing the front drive line you need to remove the drive plates to keep the diff from turning.

Smart repair by replacing the 3rd

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Oh man, those pics are tough to go through, good to see it getting put back together right, that new third is beautiful!

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Diff has been in for about a week and a half now and is doing great, putting in the local break-in miles, at about 170 now.
Good to know the old housing is worth some money!
I have a CDL switch installed but haven't done the 7pin mod, been reading up about it on mud and that may be my next project for it.
Old diff had never been touched by the looks of it, seal was definitely original, no telling how often (if ever) the diff oil was changed. Mileage finally got to it I guess!

And I know this is in the wrong section but I picked up this thing a couple days ago about 2 miles from where the Land cruiser broke up in Camp Verde,
1979 Subaru brat, 4speed, red with black interior, 146xxx on the clock, $900 later and it was mine, runs and drives! Not a single drop of anything underneath it, been sitting for the past 6 years. Hoping it will join me and the land cruiser at overland expo this year. I'll be painting it myself and doing some small affordable mods.

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_8907.jpg

Last edited:

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
Love the Brat. I used to ride in one going hunting as a kid. I like the rear "rocket" seats in the bed. $900 seems like a steal to me. Those are fun, capable car/trucks!

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Love the Brat. I used to ride in one going hunting as a kid. I like the rear "rocket" seats in the bed. $900 seems like a steal to me. Those are fun, capable car/trucks!

Thanks! A lot of people have talked to me about it already, it's funny how many know what it is and talk about riding around in them when they were younger, unfortunately the seats are missing but I hope to find some

DesertFZJ80

Observer
Decided to hang on to it, the thread lives on! My dad will be continuing the build of the land cruiser while I focus my attention on my new tacoma

IMG_9439.jpg

GOPR0240.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_6961.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater