1995 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 - Adventure Rig Build

Rebelord

Semper Fi
700R4 transmission? If so, is it computer controlled or does it have a Throttle Valve (TV) cable? Would be a cable that runs from from the throttle body to the passenger side of the transmission.
If it has a TV cable. Then it needs to be adjusted. If its computer controlled. IE separate TCU, then that may need to be diagnosed.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
700R4 transmission? If so, is it computer controlled or does it have a Throttle Valve (TV) cable? Would be a cable that runs from from the throttle body to the passenger side of the transmission.
If it has a TV cable. Then it needs to be adjusted. If its computer controlled. IE separate TCU, then that may need to be diagnosed.
Great question.. I will need to research that.
Thanks for the tip and info though.. Gives me a leg to run on. I'll report back..

Edit - it's a 4L60E which would be computer controlled me thinks. Don't believe I have the TV cable runnin to it.

It sounds like the TC is locking up too soon. There by giving 3rd locked or even 4th locked...just too soon. I think you were TBI as well? Not sure on that system but it should be a mechanical kickdown like my 1997 with Vortec, just a cable driven throttle. I would try taking it to a transmission shop that has reputation for these transmissions and have them check the solenoids.

My 4L60E was acting queer like that directly after my rebuild, and the TC would lock in 3rd and then it would not grab 4th... two solenoids had failed after being replaced during rebuild.

I would try a scan tool and see if you are getting P1810 (IIRC) means a generic trans code, that's what I would get, key cycles would reset the code though.

It could be going into limp mode also??? Sort of like starting out in 2nd gear and then shifting very slow and very hard when it finally does shift..

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
It sounds like the TC is locking up too soon. There by giving 3rd locked or even 4th locked...just too soon. I think you were TBI as well? Not sure on that system but it should be a mechanical kickdown like my 1997 with Vortec, just a cable driven throttle. I would try taking it to a transmission shop that has reputation for these transmissions and have them check the solenoids.

My 4L60E was acting queer like that directly after my rebuild, and the TC would lock in 3rd and then it would not grab 4th... two solenoids had failed after being replaced during rebuild.

I would try a scan tool and see if you are getting P1810 (IIRC) means a generic trans code, that's what I would get, key cycles would reset the code though.

It could be going into limp mode also??? Sort of like starting out in 2nd gear and then shifting very slow and very hard when it finally does shift..

It used to have that hard shifting back before the motor swap and trans rebuild. But I haven't had it since.. It runs great through normal driving. But its now just acting up when I am running 50+ mph and at cruising speed..
Thanks for the info on this though! :) Every little bit helps guide my thoughts and research.

Rebelord

Semper Fi
4l60e. Yup it has a computer controlling it. Id go back to the shop that rebuilt the tranny and tell them the issue. If its acting up you can pull codes from a 60e.

Sent from my Moto X

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Hey all, thanks for the info. I originally thought motor issues again but you guys pointed me towards transmission. I did a bunch of research on 4L60E's last night and everyones common issues.. and a few people would get it to lock up in 4th like mine does. And no matter how much gas they gave it it wouldnt unlock.. However, if they would tap the brakes, it would unlock and RPM would come up as it should!
So.. I tested that on the way to work and bingo! At 45 MPH, my truck drops into 4th gear (too early in my opinion). At that point, if I get on the gas, instead of it unlocking the TC and actually controlling the RPM better, the motor is trying extra hard to pull the thing up to speed in low RPM 4th gear. If I then take my left foot (while right is on the gas) and tap the brake.. boom, unlocks the TC and RPM jumps up and it accelerates as expected.

So... now I need to get this back to the trans shop.

Thanks for the insight everyone! :D

justcuz

Explorer
So did the trans shop fix the torque converter lock up solenoid?
I have the same tires on my 2000 Suburban. We have about 10,000 miles on them and you can't see any visible wear on them. My wife's is religious about having them rotated about every 9 to 12 thousand miles and we have been getting 50 to 60,000 miles out of a set of tires. These my even beat that!

Oh and to follow up on Larry's comment about Fords. The 97 and up F150's and Expeditions seem to mostly suffer from the modular engine failure. In cars they last pretty well with routine maintenance, but they are not a good truck engine, are expensive to replace and from what I hear not recommended to rebuild. That being said an Expedition with a 5.8 Windsor engine might be comparable to a Tahoe. Unfortunately you could never do this in California since the Air Resources Board won't let you install an older style engine than the year of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
So did the trans shop fix the torque converter lock up solenoid?
I have the same tires on my 2000 Suburban. We have about 10,000 miles on them and you can't see any visible wear on them. My wife's is religious about having them rotated about every 9 to 12 thousand miles and we have been getting 50 to 60,000 miles out of a set of tires. These my even beat that!

Oh and to follow up on Larry's comment about Fords. The 97 and up F150's and Expeditions seem to mostly suffer from the modular engine failure. In cars they last pretty well with routine maintenance, but they are not a good truck engine, are expensive to replace and from what I hear not recommended to rebuild. That being said an Expedition with a 5.8 Windsor engine might be comparable to a Tahoe. Unfortunately you could never do this in California since the Air Resources Board won't let you install an older style engine than the year of the vehicle.

Nice! Thanks for the comments.
So quick update here too since you were asking.
I chatted with Larry more on possibilities of this situation I have. Then took all the theories of what could be wrong and went to my mechanic buddy who has been helping me with this thing.
We hooked up the computer and did a live scan while he was driving it and idling and everything.
Sensors all ready proper. TPS, IAC.. We checked for vacuum leaks to rule that out.. Everything looked good.
Then he floored it off a take off and the thing was pinging like crazy (same sound I had going in 4th gear). He instantly says "yep.. The timing is wayyy too advanced."
So we got back and checked timing. Advanced by about 6 degrees. He backed it down to about 3. Plugged computer back together and drove it again.
Much less pinging. Still SOME.. But it was better.
So he backed it down to about 1 degree and then it drove MUCH better. Out of not wanting to then go too far the other way, we left it here.

Today, I decided to take it on a test road trip. We were going to a birthday party about 30 miles inland, so perfect short trip to test freeway driving.

I still hit a couple times that I could get it to ping when about 40% throttle in 4th gear, but if I then stomped it a little more, it would kick down properly and accelerate.
So I definitely know the trans is all good. It's just a matter of timing.

So we're going to give it another finer tuning hopefully soon and see if I can get it dialed a little closer to perfect place for the fuel I'm running.
Otherwise, maybe I'll upgrade to 89 octane for a while and see if higher grade gas burns better. I'm told it will. :D

justcuz

Explorer
We set my sons at zero. With the aftermarket cam allowing more mixture into the engine and the factory timing curve in the computer, I suppose we could have advanced it. It works fine as it is so we just left it alone.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
We set my sons at zero. With the aftermarket cam allowing more mixture into the engine and the factory timing curve in the computer, I suppose we could have advanced it. It works fine as it is so we just left it alone.

Yeah I'll be trying to get it back to 0 too.
The issue we had was upon initial timing set, when we got it to where it stated 0.. It was BARELY running. So we had to keep it advanced just to have it idling properly. I then later found and fixed a slew of messed up sensors and vac leaks and chased my tail on a bunch of other things.. We never did get back to correcting the timing though. To be honest I had sort of forgot we had it advanced so much..

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
And just because I was out for a drive this weekend to test out the new timing on Saturday... Decided to snap a couple road shots. :)

13499411303_e846b47643_c.jpg

13499400953_a9517fe724_c.jpg

13499344405_19424590c3_c.jpg

Last edited:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Well.. so we've now officially reached the 0* timing and everything appears to be running quite strong so far this week.
After getting the 0* timing set, I took it for a freeway trip real quick to burn off the last bit of 87 octane fuel in the tank and it still had occasionally pinging when about 60mph and I gassed it. It would ping for a second before downshifting and revving up.
So then on my way home, filled her up with 91 octane. What a difference! This motor feels like it just wants to run away now! hah. It's feeling very good. Haven't been able to get any pinging on any normal road driving.. yet to test it on the freeway though.
I'm planning on taking it on a road trip this weekend up to my parents house (about 175 miles away). Get a little freeway miles under it and see if it's TRULY fixed and ready. For now though, I'm very happy with the way it feels. Hasn't felt this strong and steady yet. It's at it's best point so far in my 1 year of ownership of it. :)

Will report back after I see how the road-trip goes this weekend (if it happens). :D
Thanks for all the input everyone.

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
That's a sharp-looking rig! Congrats! I like seeing adult-sized SUVs, generally regulated to shopping malls, getting geared-up to explore :)

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
That's a sharp-looking rig! Congrats! I like seeing adult-sized SUVs, generally regulated to shopping malls, getting geared-up to explore :)
Thanks! Yeah.. she's still a mall crawler at this moment.. But every step I've been taking is a step towards the goal of getting out to adventure. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online