1995 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 - Adventure Rig Build

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Dave, any news on the idling/missing/hesitation issues? Hope all is well!
Hey man.. no news yet. My coolant temp sensor should be in my mailbox today and I'll probably install that this weekend to see if it's as simple as a bad sensor.
If it continues after that.. I will start looking into the things Larry just rocked my knowledge world with. hah. :D

WOW! That turned out great Dave! Looks awesome :drool:

By the looks of your work, you are not a rookie with a wrench so my .02 cents are probably things already on your to do list. Anyway, a few thoughts…… it sounds like the erratic idle and hesitation only occur before the engine comes up to operating temperature? If that is the case I would suspect a vacuum leak somewhere near the throttle body and intake. It is not uncommon for a vacuum leak to be present only when all the metal and aluminum things are cold. Once they heat up and expand the vacuum leak source can seal and symptoms go away. Spray some carb cleaner around the throttle body and intake when cold and see if you notice any changes in RPM. With the issues you had with the EGR valve port machining would be another great spot to inspect closely with some carb cleaner as well.

As you are most likely aware, when the engine is started cold the ECM operates in Open Loop status and ignores the O2 and loosely calculates the air fuel ratio based on inputs from only the coolant temp sensor and MAP. Much of the engine operation calibrations in Open Loop are predetermined by ECM PROM programming. Once the engine comes up to temperature, starts reading the O2 and goes into Closed Loop the ECM takes inputs from all sensors more seriously to make adjustments to the air/fuel mixtures, ignition timing, etc. With that, it is possible there is nothing actually wrong with the engine but something out of whack with Edelbrock’s ECM prom tuning (I saw an earlier post where Edelbrock did the prom tuning). Who knows, they may have the engine going into Closed Loop too soon or something along those lines. But before reaching out to Edelbrock check for vacuum leaks as mentioned above as well as verify the MAP sensor is receiving the proper manifold vacuum signal. I played hell with a TBI 7.4L swap not long ago and made a total rookie mistake by plumbing the MAP to ported vacuum but I played bigger hell pulling my hair out trying to find the root cause of a rolling stop dying problem. Come to find out, there was nothing wrong with anything on the engine it was the prom tuners mistake by calibrating it to an automatic instead of a manual trans plus they had it programmed to always run in Closed Loop, even ice cool! My point is, once ECM work has been done don’t always assume the tuners don’t make mistakes too. When doing major engine work and ECM tuning at the same time makes it hard to separate the straw from the manure chasing drivability issues afterwards to figure out what is tuning related and what is not. If you have access to a scan tool to monitor what the sensors are doing would make diagnosing this much easier and verify if the issue is only present during open vs. close loop and determine if there is a real issue with the engine or just a ECM tuning issue.

Say, how do you like that K&N air intake? I used that same one on a TBI 4.3L V6 to TBI 7.4L swap recently and the air horn that mounts to the throttle body doesn’t seem to fit very well as it seems to move those three studs around and keeps squeezing out the foam seal between the air horn and TB. K&N was nice enough to send me a couple extra foam seals but I am still not happy the way the air horn seals. To me it seems like the 3 holes in the air horn are not drilled in the right spots.

The little ½ ton short bed Sportside runs like a scaled dog with a big block though.

Your work looks great! Keep us posted

Wow, Larry! Thank you so much for all of that information and for the kudos. It's like Picasso just told me I can paint pretty well. haha! :D
I had a lot of help with the motor swap.. this was my first one. My father in law though (owner of the shop and the major tools I used to complete this job) has done a couple motor swaps in his day, so he was guiding me and helping me along the way. Was a great experience though and I feel like it was a great success as well! :) Thanks.
As for the vacuum leak.. that sounds like a complete possibility. So with the carb cleaner trick, do you mean to just spray a mist of cleaner into the air around the TBI as it runs and the idea is if there IS a leak, it'll suck it in and change the RPM? Just making sure I understand the process before I try it. :) Thank you.

The Edelbrock tuned piggy-back chip is something in my mind as well. It will definitely be lower on the list though (as you said too) as I want to make sure the rest of the possibilities are corrected and be sure I've narrowed it down that all the things we did are solid. If it still continues at that point, I will call the contacts over at Edelbrock and explain the situation I have. The great thing about living in the same city as them is I can probably just drive the thing over there and talk to them direct and see what they can do for me.. :D

As for the K&N, yeah, I've noticed the same thing. That little gasket foam piece tore already on this one and I had to glue/gasket seal the thing back together. How did you get them to send you a few more? I need to do that as well. I notice that if you pull the intake off a couple times, that foam is basically shot, making the next time you re-install it that much harder to get it to seat right.
Aside from the foam piece though, I really like the intake itself. Mine seems to bolt up pretty well on here. The only issue I have is that I need to get a longer breather tube from the back of the horn because I actually have one of those air spacers in between my TBI and manifold and it raised it up a couple inches and now the tube they gave BARELY reaches my stem in the valve cover. Outside of that though, fantastic system and I still recommend it to others over any other ones I have seen that don't look like they work as well.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
As for the vacuum leak.. that sounds like a complete possibility. So with the carb cleaner trick, do you mean to just spray a mist of cleaner into the air around the TBI as it runs and the idea is if there IS a leak, it'll suck it in and change the RPM? Just making sure I understand the process before I try it. :) Thank you.

As for the K&N, yeah, I've noticed the same thing. That little gasket foam piece tore already on this one and I had to glue/gasket seal the thing back together. How did you get them to send you a few more?

Yes siree, you got the idea. Just spray around the TB base plate, intake, EGR, etc. when the engine is cold and observe a noticeable change in RPM’s (be careful not to spray any on that K&N foam gasket, it melts…I learned that one the hard way!). If you find a spot that causes RPM fluctuation, then you have found your vacuum leak. Sometimes leaks also occur when the engine is warm instead of cold. It all depends on which way the metal is moving as it expands or contracts and which gaskets are not making a good seal. Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak when cold more so than warm.

Keep in mind the liquid you are spraying is highly flammable so use it liberally and don’t spray it right near an ignition source such as the distributor. Spraying it on a cold engine isn’t nearly as exciting as squirting on a warm engine. :campfire:

Regarding the K&N gasket, I called K&N Tech Service as the gasket that came in the box with the new air induction pipe kit was bent and smashed all to hell and the sticky backing was peeled off so I phoned K&N with my Summit Racing order number and order date. The guy was real nice and apologetic and sent me 2 or 3 more gaskets at no charge. Life was good after that but I am still not real happy the way the air horn seals to the TB.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Thanks for all the info Larry! You rock man. I'll probably start playing with things tomorrow..

As for now.. no update on the "build." I'm just driving her, enjoying her, and taking pictures of her.. hah. :D

9678667729_9da82f5ab9_c.jpg

Last edited:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Put in the new coolant temp sensor just now and it's still reacting the same way. Cold startup rough bouncing idle and hesitation/choke upon throttle..
Next I suppose I'll need to try out the vacuum leak test you recommended Larry.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Um off point question.
As I was reading the wife looks over my shoulder and asked me if this was a GMC as most chevys have a bar in the center. I'm sure its stated but its hard to read this whole build on my cell phone.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Well even with an erratic idle it sure looks sexy sitting there :sombrero:
haha. I do agree with you. But man.. I have this OCD about my vehicles. I need them to be running properly. I just cant hang with a vehicle that has annoyances. It brings down the whole joy level for me. :( I want to be able to say the thing is awesome all around! But at this point.. all I can say is that it runs great when its hot.

Um off point question.
As I was reading the wife looks over my shoulder and asked me if this was a GMC as most chevys have a bar in the center. I'm sure its stated but its hard to read this whole build on my cell phone.
Yep. I've had the confusing looks about this same issue a couple times before. It is a Chevy Tahoe. My father in law (the previous owner of the vehicle) liked the GMC grills better, so when he had everything off to repaint the thing, he bought this GMC grill and swapped it over.
I however am the opposite. I love the Chevy grills WAY more. So I am on the hunt for one of those whenever I get some spare cash for it (he didn't keep the original grill).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I drove the thing to work today. Still had its cold startup issue this morning but once it was hot, again, everything seemed fine.
About 8 minutes into the drive.. Service Engine Soon light comes on. "What the heck?? :eek:
So I rolled down windows, I turned off the radio.. I listened, I felt, I smelled, I looked. No power loss. No strange smells. No strange sounds. No leaking fluids. 10 minutes later in the drive the SES light turns off and it continues to run just as normal as it has been.

I get to work, pop the hood. Inspect everything while it sits there and idles perfectly. No SES light. No claim to any issue whatsoever.

:rolleyes: So now what? :confused:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
PS.. I checked the code at lunch break just now.. Throwing code 14. "Engine Coolant temp sensor error (high temp indicated)."
This does make sense to me though, because I put in the standard 195 thermostat. It actually doesn't open until much hotter than I really want my motor to be. On my gauge, the thermostat doesn't open until it reaches the 3/4 mark (way too close to max 260 mark in my opinion) then it drops and operating temp is spot on the 210 half way mark.
What say you all?? Too hot?

98dango

Expedition Leader
Dose your year have 2 a sensor and a sender. I have run in to the past that one reads one and tells the computer a Nother also found bad connection on the plug or half broken wier.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Yes.. I have two. I have one in my manifold that I have read feeds the computer with the data needed to calculate how much air/fuel to be bringing in and then there is one in the side of the drivers side head that has a single wire running to it that I read feeds the gauge on the dash.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
So I don't imagine You are too worried about the rear door speakers right now but.. I had the same problem in my '99 burb, turns out the rear doors are run by a small amp hidden deep under the dash, I see You have an aftermarket stereo so if You pull the stereo out and check the factory wiring there should be a pink wire that is not hooked up, if You connect the pink wire to the aftermarket wire marked "amp remote" or "remote turn on" which should be blue or blue with a white stripe it should fire the amp and make the sounds a whole lot better. hope You get all the little problems worked out and get to enjoy Your Tahoe soon!!
Sorry for the long post!

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
So I don't imagine You are too worried about the rear door speakers right now but.. I had the same problem in my '99 burb, turns out the rear doors are run by a small amp hidden deep under the dash, I see You have an aftermarket stereo so if You pull the stereo out and check the factory wiring there should be a pink wire that is not hooked up, if You connect the pink wire to the aftermarket wire marked "amp remote" or "remote turn on" which should be blue or blue with a white stripe it should fire the amp and make the sounds a whole lot better. hope You get all the little problems worked out and get to enjoy Your Tahoe soon!!
Sorry for the long post!
Wow. Thanks for the info! I'm going to check this out for sure. This is still a constant annoyance of mine. I'm running on only 5/8 of the speakers (my drivers side large speaker is legitimately blown). Two of which are just tweeters. :( I gotta have good tunes! Thanks for tip. I will check into it. You rock. :D

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
So, after a mess of issues happened and it wouldn't start anymore (see here: http://www.gmc4x4.com/topic/1789-wont-start-without-full-throttle/) I ended up replacing a few parts.

New AC Delco Coolant Temp Sensor, new coolant temp sensor connector, new Throttle Position Sensor, and it finally was running like a champ again.

However, during all the mess, there was plenty of running rough, blowing smoke, flooding engine, etc etc..

So I decided I also should replace the Oxygen Sensor (still the old one that was brought over from when I bought the thing).

And when I got the old one out.. yes.. it was DEFINITELY a good idea to change it. hah. I'd say this old one probably wasn't functioning the best it could be.

9634541476_61eec9b8c1_c.jpg

So with all the fresh sensors and everything, the truck appears to be running fantastic! I'll keep driving it and breaking it in.

I'll need to change the oil soon as I'm about 40 miles away from hitting the 500 mile mark on the new motor and will need to get my normal oil and the oil cooler lines back in the Tahoe. :)

But for now.. just driving it. :D

9634542482_0268e6f431_c.jpg

Last edited:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Sorry for the long post!

So I looked into this today and it looks like the pink wire from the original wiring harness turns into a grey wire from the aftermarket harness. That grey wire DOES in fact plug to the blue/white wire going into the back of the head unit.

The only wires coming out of the aftermarket harness side that are not hooked up are for "antenna" and "illumination". Both Orange in color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy