Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Glad to hear it is running well! Sure looks good too :elkgrin:

Thanks Larry... I do agree. :D

11370434684_8d83cf46a2_c.jpg

Last edited:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Man Dave, glad to hear you got it worked out! Do you know what sensor was the culprit? Looks good! I agree with Larry and Chili on that one! Cheers!

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Thanks guys!
The culprit was the coolant temp sensor. I replaced it with a substandard brand and it worked decently for about a week and a half and then died. The computer couldn't handle it. As soon as I got a new AC DELCO coolant temp sensor in.. Worked well!
After that.. Just in case.. I also replaced the throttle position sensor, new electrical connection to the coolant temp sensor and then shortly after that, oxygen sensor. Now that all of those sensors are reading right.. It appears to be running well!

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Well that makes me happy Chev. Nice looking rig!:wings:

Thanks Chilli! Yeah, its nice to finally be able to climb in the thing and drive without watching the gauges constantly, listening for noises instead of the radio, and feeling for any strange vibrations instead of just the wind through my hair... hah.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Thanks Chilli! Yeah, its nice to finally be able to climb in the thing and drive without watching the gauges constantly, listening for noises instead of the radio, and feeling for any strange vibrations instead of just the wind through my hair... hah.

Don't let your gaurd down lol

Such a nice truck man, glad to see your hard work pay off.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Don't let your gaurd down lol

Such a nice truck man, glad to see your hard work pay off.

haha. Thanks. Yeah, I'm tempted to start claiming its running perfectly as well. That way if something else is going to break, it definitely will after I make that statement. :D

Thank you! :)

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Ok chev, I think a couple of pics cruising your ride by the bikini babes would not hurt our viewers here on Expo.....:ylsmoke:

B 1000

Nothing special
Sooooooo when are we going to put 37's on that thing? Haha

Looks good Dave. Glad to see it all come together.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Sooooooo when are we going to put 37's on that thing? Haha

Looks good Dave. Glad to see it all come together.

haha! I MIGHT be able to stuff some 35's.. But with the 4" I think they recommend 33". :D
That being said, thanks man! We gotta hang out again soon. I haven't got the Tahoe yet to a state that I would feel 100% comfortable taking it out on a long trip but hopefully after I get some miles on it, get the motor into its normal processing with regular oil and all of that.. THEN my confidence will be a little higher and maybe I can join you on a run sometime. :)

Until then though, we'll still have to hang, catch up, and talk rigs. :D

B 1000

Nothing special
haha! I MIGHT be able to stuff some 35's.. But with the 4" I think they recommend 33". :D
That being said, thanks man! We gotta hang out again soon. I haven't got the Tahoe yet to a state that I would feel 100% comfortable taking it out on a long trip but hopefully after I get some miles on it, get the motor into its normal processing with regular oil and all of that.. THEN my confidence will be a little higher and maybe I can join you on a run sometime. :)

Until then though, we'll still have to hang, catch up, and talk rigs. :D

Yeah most definitely. I'll text you and see what you're up to this coming weekend or the following.

35"s would look pretty sexy on the Tahoe, but it might be too much for an expo rig. I went to 35"s on my JK and I'm thinking it's a bit much.

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
How's that sexy hotrod Tahoe doing Dave?

Hah. Thanks Larry. It's doing alright. Last week I had a little bit of a scare.. the thing was feeling really rough and not sounding great, but I could tell I had an exhaust leak going. So I assumed it was my header bolts backing off a little again, so I went around and checked the bolts real quick.. everything was solid. So I knew it was lower somewhere but I didn't have the time to keep going. Filled the tank back up with gas and did my first MPG calculation (since there has been consistent issues with it every tank, this was my first full tank of gas where I felt it ran normal).

A whopping 8.83MPG! Ouch. :(

That being said, I think it's a combination of things. These tires I'm on don't seem to hold air very well so I find that after a week or two, the thing barely rolls on its own when I let off the brake (automatic.. should try and walk a little), the oil is still the initial break in oil so I'm assuming when I go through and change to a standard synthetic blend motor oil and I get the oil cooler re-installed, it should be running a little smoother with all the worn gunk that's in there now. And to top it all off, I'm commuting this thing up and down Pacific Coast Highway, 9 miles each way, in morning LA traffic. Stop Go. Stop Go. Stop Go. Stop. It barely ever gets over 45MPH.. so I'm sure I'm running on the very bad side of fuel consumption.
If you have any thoughts on why it would be so low though.. I would love to hear them. I was hoping it would be at least about 11-12 and then 14ish for freeway.. but that's looking to be a feat at this point.

But after that bad morning (driving a rough truck to work while stewing over the low gas mileage calculation), I sat here all day contemplating whether I even wanted to KEEP the thing. hah.

So by the end of the day though, I had talked myself back into it. I went out after work and crawled underneath it with my socket set and tightened up the very loose bolts connecting the Y-pipe to the header collectors. Started it up and the thing purred like it should. :D Semi-renewed of faith; I hit the freeway to get her up over 70 and leave my troublesome morning in the review mirror.
I then ran her around running errands. I got oil, I got my oil cooling system all ready, picked up the new gasket set for it, picked up the new bolts for it (I lost the old bolts somewhere during the whole process.. :( ) and also took the time to pick up a spare key to be made. When I bought the thing it only had one key. So now Ill have at least one spare.

So probably sometime during this week I will get the new oil in and see how she runs with fresh synthetic blend coursing through the veins. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy