1995 Ford F250 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

psdfrank

Observer
I'm new here, just picked up an F250 4x4 recently and plan to make it into an expedition rig. Wanted to get some input/recommendations and what I can or should do to this truck. I'm planning to use it to mainly go camping on trails not so much rock crawling obviously since this truck is so long.

Its a extended cab long bed, bought it w/ an 8" lift on it, the mods I have planned are:

removing the 8" lift (blocks) replace it w/ a 2.5" lift, single shocks all round.

cut/trim fenders to fit the current tires which are 36.5" I measured them they are about 50% tread left and are actually 35" I want to trim enough to possibly fit a little bit larger tire - any input on this?

Winch bumper (front and rear), too bad can't get ARB, they don't make it for this year, but I've seen some on bronco grave yard - any leads would be great!

I took the tool box out, don't think I will need it not sure yet, I'll prolly sell it.

I'll need to fab up some kind of snorkel for it, ARB doesn't make on for this year either.

Waterproof the electronics/engine components as needed.

Lastly but def not least, I'm planning to build a custom camper, I'm thinking of using a ladder rack as a frame, I've only sketched some plans but no floor plans yet, anybody do this before.

Oh ya, also more lighting fog lights and stuff and make redo the interior.

any other ideas or recommendations?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• f250_qx4.JPG
    f250_qx4.JPG
    556.2 KB · Views: 6,161
  • f250_side_rear.JPG
    f250_side_rear.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 6,163
  • f250_leo_side.JPG
    f250_leo_side.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 6,291
Last edited:

1leg

Explorer
Why lower if your going to keep the wheels and tires? Maybe get springs to replace the Blocks. you don't have to be low to be expo!

The ladder rack idea would be cool if you used some canvas to cover it. I'm not sure how you would hard side? But anything can be done with enough time and money....

Good luck.

Cute pup too.....:smiley_drive::smiley_drive::smiley_drive:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I've been putting some thought into the expedition build on my 2001 F250 Crew Cab Short bed that I think would work for you, or at least give you some ideas.

I think you are on the right track by starting out lowering the truck and doing some mechanical work. Before you get into anything too big my advise would be to keep an eye on your oil consumption over a 3000 mile interval. Ford "officially" says consumption can be as high as 1 liter per 900 miles, but users consider this high. Solve any oil use problems, most likely culprits are the O rings on the high pressure oil system, O rings on the turbo, or O rings on the injectors. Once you have these issues resolved I'd start on the mods.

I am planning the following:
I'll start by linex-ing the bed , then installing an AT FlipPac shell, internal storage on passenger side to hold stackable storage containers, top of storage unit forming work surface/extra bed, install Heatsource heater, install water tank and shower system

On the exterior I'll be installing an awning and a removable kitchen work surface and sink.

I'm trying to get all the work done in time for Overland Expo in April 2010

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Lower CG is always a good thing. Makes climbing in and out of it more pleasant too. Generically the flatter the leaf spring, the better that it will ride.

I would suggest investing in some high quality shocks. Chain store offerings will fall short in life and in ride quality.

Tire size is personal, but I would look into the gearing recommended for whatever tire size you choose. Might see if you can borrow some stock size tires for a short while and see how the truck performs with those. Then you'll have a baseline to work from.

Are you familiar with PSD's? If not I'd have a look at the various diesel forums for weak points and recommended tools and spares. One particular spare that I'd recommend is the Cam Position Sensor. Have one go gunny-sack and where you are is where you'll be until another is brought to you. I saw this happen to a PSD at Race Mile 620 just after the '02 Baja 1000. RM 620 is a good 30 miles from the nearest town of an any size (San Juanico) and they don't have a parts store there. It is right up front on the engine and reportedly a fairly easy item to R&R.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Yes the Cam Position Sensor is notorious for failing, and leaking oil, replacement is easy so long as the bolt holding it in place hasn't seized up. The other part that can fail is the glow plug relay, after a while it fries itself internally. There is a good replacement relay made by Stancor that pulls 200 amps. My stock relay tested at 168 amps. Lots of good information at http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/index.php as well as the regular Powerstroke forums. Youtube also has so good how to videos.

On the tire size I went from 35" to the stock 265/70/16, this was to enable the engine to get into the power band at 2100 - 2300 rpm. With 35's the transmission was switching in and out of overdrive to get there, which I understand is one of the contributing causes of the automatic transmissions failing. As Andre (dieselcruiserhead) keeps telling me "It's not if the transmission will fail, it's when". On this one issue I have chosen not to believe him :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The solid front axle on that truck isn't stock as far as I remember, it is most likely donated from a F350 maybe? Its a NICE addition for sure over the TTB stuff.

I would lower it as much as practical with a good set of custom springs. Even the stock F250-350 stuff sat pretty high. A shackle reversal in front might be a good addition also.

I like big tires :) You might want to look into the desert racing fiberglass fenders and bedsides. They generally allow a 37" tire with little if any lift on a 4wd truck. I think 37s are about the best compromise tire. Not too big, not too small, just right. They are also pretty common these days and tend to be rather easy to find. There are also a good selection of 17" wheels on the market including some really neat hummer style wheels from hutchinson.

My advise. Keep it as light as practical. Minimize the weight of the additional stuff you want to add. A light truck is a happy truck. Its amazing how easy it is to really go overboard on bumpers, armor, and accessories.

Looks like a fun project!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Not on most of the F250s I have seen, they usually all have the TTB D50 with leaf springs.

Rot Box

Explorer
The solid axle is great bonus imo and you are lucky enough to have the king pin style which holds up to the weight of the diesel much better than the later ball joint versions. Solid axle Dana 60's never came in the F250's later than 79. The only trucks that had them were the 85.5-97 F350 regular cabs or four doors. 99 and newer are all solid obviously...

That's a great platform to start with. I cant recommend much as the first gen PSD's are already a good truck but if you have an automatic plan on putting some money into it or if you are like me and prefer manuals converting it to the ZF-5 5peed wouldn't be a bad idea. Also if you have the stock turbo down pipe you should toss it in the scrap bin in favor of a 3" aftermarket replacement. The stock pipes are so restricting--if it still has it you'll know what I mean the first time you look at it. Keep up on preventative maintenance and oil changes! Due to the HEUI injection design neglecting the engine oil also means neglecting the injection system and replacement parts will cost quite a bit.

Performance wise a down pipe, TS chip and a smaller (exhaust side) turbo housing will bring new life into that truck. I have two friends with these trucks. One has 789K miles and the other just turned over 300K with the factory engine and injector pumps :elkgrin:

psdfrank

Observer
cool, thanks for all the tips. yeah i did forget to mention it does have some mods on it before I purchased which are the 3" down pipe, exhaust, has manual hub locks, they have the plastic dials, not sure how good they are, has a spray in bed liner too.

I've never done any diesel before but have gotten my feet wet w/ an oil change, air filter, fuel filter, and belts. There is an oil leak, i thought it was transmission leak at first since it was dripping off the tranny pan but on closer inspection, its starting to look more like oil, hard to tell by fluid color since the pan was so dirty on the outside.

Anyway, anyone have any pics of their F250?

I'll post updates as I go along...

edit/update: my leak ended up being trans fluid, i changed the gasket on the pan but i think it leaks only a bit so i tighten it up where needed and no leaking now but i need to check if it leaks after its been running.

Last edited:

psdfrank

Observer
Why lower if your going to keep the wheels and tires? Maybe get springs to replace the Blocks. you don't have to be low to be expo!

The ladder rack idea would be cool if you used some canvas to cover it. I'm not sure how you would hard side? But anything can be done with enough time and money....

Good luck.

Cute pup too.....:smiley_drive::smiley_drive::smiley_drive:

like some have said, its little too uncomfortable for my taste (and gf's) too high tho its starting to grow on me, but i feel w/ the amount I want to spend on the suspension, it would be more durable to keep it low...

psdfrank

Observer
Martyn, you recommend changing these things out anyway??, i got this truck w/ 220k miles on it.

I've been putting some thought into the expedition build on my 2001 F250 Crew Cab Short bed that I think would work for you, or at least give you some ideas.

I think you are on the right track by starting out lowering the truck and doing some mechanical work. Before you get into anything too big my advise would be to keep an eye on your oil consumption over a 3000 mile interval. Ford "officially" says consumption can be as high as 1 liter per 900 miles, but users consider this high. Solve any oil use problems, most likely culprits are the O rings on the high pressure oil system, O rings on the turbo, or O rings on the injectors. Once you have these issues resolved I'd start on the mods.

I am planning the following:
I'll start by linex-ing the bed , then installing an AT FlipPac shell, internal storage on passenger side to hold stackable storage containers, top of storage unit forming work surface/extra bed, install Heatsource heater, install water tank and shower system

On the exterior I'll be installing an awning and a removable kitchen work surface and sink.

I'm trying to get all the work done in time for Overland Expo in April 2010

chasespeed

Explorer
If you have oil leaking down on the trans... trace it UP... its either the rear main, or the turbo o-rings

Chip... thats more of a personal thing.. I had a TS... had it reprogrammed, and viola... HAPPINESS.

Good look, I loved my 7.3s.....

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad