1995 Ford F250 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Most TTB & TIB related unusual tire wear is due to poor damping rather than alignment issues. Usually not enough rebound.

Maybe, but after a rough trip, I would have to take it to the dealer for an alignment or the tires would be toasted in short order. Other than the front end issues, it was a great truck. It is still on the road 3 or 4 owners later.

psdfrank

Observer
Finally had a chance to look at your links, been working on retro fitting a bumper i picked up, even broke my drill. thanks for the info!

I've been putting some thought into the expedition build on my 2001 F250 Crew Cab Short bed that I think would work for you, or at least give you some ideas.

I think you are on the right track by starting out lowering the truck and doing some mechanical work. Before you get into anything too big my advise would be to keep an eye on your oil consumption over a 3000 mile interval. Ford "officially" says consumption can be as high as 1 liter per 900 miles, but users consider this high. Solve any oil use problems, most likely culprits are the O rings on the high pressure oil system, O rings on the turbo, or O rings on the injectors. Once you have these issues resolved I'd start on the mods.

I am planning the following:
I'll start by linex-ing the bed , then installing an AT FlipPac shell, internal storage on passenger side to hold stackable storage containers, top of storage unit forming work surface/extra bed, install Heatsource heater, install water tank and shower system

On the exterior I'll be installing an awning and a removable kitchen work surface and sink.

I'm trying to get all the work done in time for Overland Expo in April 2010

psdfrank

Observer
Update on my project truck:

Installed a solid bumper bought used for 200 bucks the winch was busted so I will need to get one, had to do lots of drilling and cutting to get this sucker in.

In the process of dropping the 8" lift to a 2.5" lift, didn't realize that the solid axle might sit higher, hope I don't have to go back and remove the leaf pack in the front. I had a problematic day today working on the rear suspension, hopefully I will be done early next week then post some better photos.

Next is new ball joints and steering stablizer. Then fix a few leaks.

BEFORE:
attachment.php

AFTER: Bumper and front lowered
attachment.php

Last edited:

psdfrank

Observer
btw, anyone have a picture of the driveshaft carrier bracket? mine has a support bracket that drops it down, i'm not sure how the stock one is setup.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Here you go...

From the rear

centersupport01.jpg

From the front

centersupport02.jpg

This is on my '96 F250

Just replaced the center support bearing last week.
Doing a rear end service this weekend. :)

psdfrank

Observer
dang firefox won't upload correctly....

BEFORE
attachment.php

AFTER
attachment.php

Attachments

• f250.jpg
    f250.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,578
  • f250-1.jpg
    f250-1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,574

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Cool thx idasho, that looks like what i have, this is stock right?? thanks again!

Yep, all the hardware in those photos is stock. (except exhaust)

Both the extended cab and quad cab pickups have the 2-piece driveshaft that requires a center support bearing.

Standard cab rigs do not.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just re-read the first post on this and you said the tires were 36.5 but measured 35"s. Am I right in assuming they say 36.5 on the sidewall but actually measure at 35"? If this is correct, how did you measure the 35? From center of hub to top of tread and double, or, from ground to top of tread?
I have 35-12.50s on mine with the 3" reversal lift but want to run 37s. Do you have any rub as it sits now (after lowering it)? Thanks.

psdfrank

Observer
actually, i only measured the outter edge to edge, my front is completed w/ a 2.5" lift but i have a solid axle which i hear sits a bit higher, it seems i have more space to fit maybe 37's but my front bumper is off.

some ppl put big washers to push the bumper out, on the rear, if u trim a bit on the front side of the fender just a bit should work too

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Mine is solid axle as well being a 350, and the 35s touched the front bumper a bit at full lock, but I have trimmed it a bit and no problems. It has a 3" lift too. I was just curious if the tires rubbed on the frame when turning. I guess it depends on rim offset too.
When you do the ball joints, make sure you buy the premium lifetime warranty ones. They ALL wear at about the same rate, but with the warranty all you pay is labour from the first purchase onward.

psdfrank

Observer
I just found out today that I don't have ball joints but rather kingpin and knuckles. when got the truck it had the "death wobble" which i've read about found out that ball joints can cause this issue, would worn out kingpin cause this too?

is there any upgrade to this?

psdfrank

Observer
What do you think guys, is this too low? With this height the track bar the truck came with doesn't fit anymore, also i see my d60 axle sits very close the the engine cross member, i don't think even a stock track bar would fit w/o a drop bracket, considering bumping it up an inch or so all the around, any input??

attachment.php

Attachments

• f250-side.jpg
    f250-side.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,713

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad