1997 discovery xd

MaDMaX915

Observer
I have also found a 2001 disco II with 101k miles on the body. It has had a new motor installed aswell as a new transfercase. It is also lifted with a rack bumpers winch rock sliders snorkel and I believe the airbags in the back were taken out and replaced with coil springs. They are asking 8k for it but I was thinking of offering 7k if the vehicle looks to be in good shape.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Have you read up on the differences between D1's and DII's. There are some significant ones which may factor in to your choice.

Canito is1

Sounds like you are looking for an "iconic" vehicle based on the vehicles you are suggesting. Have you thought about looking for a similar high mileage D-90? Buy one for less than $20k, enjoy it, and when the new ones come out, it will probably drive the value of the said vehicle up. Thus you will have driven for a few years with zero depreciation, enjoyed many conversations at the gas pumps, and continually lusted after a vehicle with a decent enough power to weight ratio that the speedo doesn't drop 10mph on every hill that you go up.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Sounds like you are looking for an "iconic" vehicle based on the vehicles you are suggesting. Have you thought about looking for a similar high mileage D-90? Buy one for less than $20k, enjoy it, and when the new ones come out, it will probably drive the value of the said vehicle up. Thus you will have driven for a few years with zero depreciation, enjoyed many conversations at the gas pumps, and continually lusted after a vehicle with a decent enough power to weight ratio that the speedo doesn't drop 10mph on every hill that you go up.

I spent my entire 12 month deployment looking for a good D90/D110. I was going to come back with a grip of cash and was ready to sink it into a Defender.

You can do well for $25k-$28k, but $20k means it's either high mileage (like >150k mi), rashed up, or there is something "weird" going on with it -- like it's RHD, a fastback or hi-cap or something people pretend to like but only buy because they're $5k cheaper than the cooler one. :sombrero:

Legit NAS D90s/D110s hold their value like nobody's business. You're not getting a clean, ************, low-mile Defender for $20k unless you're super lucky. Double that for an equivalent D110.

Check out RoversOutEast.com -- he always has a bunch of affordable and interesting Defenders that for similar reasons as I listed don't command the same kinds of crazy prices you'll see with the NAS stuff.

YMMV of course. I'm sure people will jump on me for this one. :snorkel:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I spent my entire 12 month deployment looking for a good D90/D110. I was going to come back with a grip of cash and was ready to sink it into a Defender.

You can do well for $25k-$28k, but $20k means it's either high mileage (like >150k mi), rashed up, or there is something "weird" going on with it -- like it's RHD, a fastback or hi-cap or something people pretend to like but only buy because they're $5k cheaper than the cooler one. :sombrero:

Legit NAS D90s/D110s hold their value like nobody's business. You're not getting a clean, ************, low-mile Defender for $20k unless you're super lucky. Double that for an equivalent D110.

Check out RoversOutEast.com -- he always has a bunch of affordable and interesting Defenders that for similar reasons as I listed don't command the same kinds of crazy prices you'll see with the NAS stuff.

Yeah. I've been on and off about Defenders for that very reason. I mean, the least expensive route is to import a 25 year old vehicle, but then you're looking at a complete rebuild, including chassis maybe due to corrosion, etc. Once that's done, then you start modding it, and 20-30K later you're done. Then there's the comfort factor. Defenders are akin to CJ Jeeps in their creature comforts, so your tough side is going to have to come out on a long trip in one. On the other hand, a Disco 1 or Range Rover Classic has the same as or better capability with way more comfort than a Defender at a rock bottom price by comparison. Same chassis design/drivetrain and everything . . . So, you're starting out very low for the base vehicle and by the time you mod it, you're way ahead financially compared to a Defender.

David

rijosho

Adventurer

Eh, if you're looking for a recently imported 90, they're typically a bit less than the newly imported 110s. I took over a year looking for the right NAS 90 for me. I had started off looking for a low-miles one that would be near the top of my budget, then after reading literally hundreds of times that the higher miles ones were "better" for what I'd use it for, I finally listened and got the color I wanted (black), already equipped (saves thousands), and with a bunch of extra Badger Coachworks tops. Sold off the stuff I didn't want, which funded the projects to make the truck more personal to my tastes as opposed to the PO.

Long story short, you can find plenty of NAS trucks in the same price range as these older ones that are being newly imported. Sure the miles may be a little higher, but at least with a NAS truck you're getting a truck that is likely known by one of us here in the States, has been driven (ie the ones that sit tend to have gremlins that were unknown at time of sale), and if you're financing you'll have a little better shot. Plus, the NAS ones should hold their values in the long run way better than a 1983-86 you can buy today.

Now if you're looking 110, yes...go import...way more bang for the buck in my opinion.

MaDMaX915

Observer
As much as I would love to have a defender there are a few things holding me back. Everyday driveability I need something a little more practical and with defenders riding like jeeps I already have a fixed up CJ-5 and I love it but I don't love to drive it everyday and on long trips. Also I need something with lots of room as I have a 19 month old and wouldn't leave home on a camping trip without him, and for anyone with kids they know how much stuff you have to pack to take a kid away from home for a few days. It would also be nice to have something my wife can occasionally drive to work to keep the miles off of our 09 Grand Cherokee and she would be more likely to drive a discovery than a defender 90.

rijosho

Adventurer
As much as I would love to have a defender there are a few things holding me back. Everyday driveability I need something a little more practical and with defenders riding like jeeps I already have a fixed up CJ-5 and I love it but I don't love to drive it everyday and on long trips. Also I need something with lots of room as I have a 19 month old and wouldn't leave home on a camping trip without him, and for anyone with kids they know how much stuff you have to pack to take a kid away from home for a few days. It would also be nice to have something my wife can occasionally drive to work to keep the miles off of our 09 Grand Cherokee and she would be more likely to drive a discovery than a defender 90.

Yeah, sorry about that. I should have read the thread a little closer; I thought Lt Fuzz had started it...I kind of took this off track. Hijack over.

MaDMaX915

Observer
No problem at all with the hijack its good to hear what everyone has to say. Being an absolute new guy to the rover world ill take all the advice i can get

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77