1998 Dakota A few question?

m_tav

Observer
Does any one know any thing about the rear axel it is a chrylser 8.2. Anti slip diff. Torque lock convrter. I guess the big qestion is do i need lockers? also does anyone know any thing about waterproofing the distributor cap?

jcbrandon

Explorer
I drove a 2000 Dakota for eight years and really liked it. Mine was the 4.7 liter V8 and automatic transmission, limited slip rear axle, full-time four wheel drive. Its limiting factor was ground clearance, not traction. I had about 300 pounds of extra weight over the rear axle and believe that helped a great deal with rear-wheel traction.

Are you getting stuck frequently? Is it due to a lack of traction? If the answer is yes, then locking diffs will help. If no, then you might consider spending that money on something else.

m_tav

Observer
no not getting stuck at all. trust me that is good cause i dont have lift kit yet. Need one for the places i go!

el-cid

Observer
I'll chime in as far as waterproofing the distributor cap. If you're getting your truck deep enough to get it wet you'll probably be sucking water into the intake and will have bigger things to worry about :snorkel:. I wouldn't worry to much about extensive waterproofing unless you're mudbogging all the time. Like the guy above said, a selectable locker is great if you really need one; I'd start by looking at suspension/tire upgrades and when you're done building up and have to possibly change gearing then look for a locker then (it's the most logical time to install one too).

m_tav

Observer
I dont get water in the intake but a do mudd bogging a lot and rock crawling. But lately when i go through deep puddles it splashes up and gets on top of the distuibtor cap. then i start to miss fire

Last edited:

el-cid

Observer
One thing you could do to help with that is use some dielectric grease inside the cap. You should be able to get it at your local parts store and use it to seal up the cap to the distributor body.

Bcghosttowns

Adventurer
When i was a kid i found spray silicone worked very well for caps,plugs and boots.But as i got older i realised the cap was the least of your worries,i don't play in puddles anymore.A nice slow creek crossing but only if i need to get across.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk