1999 GMC Yukon Build

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Recent trip to the Rubicon and Oregon coast.

This thing is a tank! Went over everything I pointed it at.
dd5d49ac7624b8119454179f85afc265.jpg

7eecae27eba1d4618e535294d0b6e431.jpg

4db54738b7ddc58b7c12ad9eed27f3ba.jpg

fd9d742d5c4382c12d12627cadca167e.jpg

99adead8e768aaf1dbd313e449059743.jpg

sent from a slablet

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I did the portion from loon lake to little sluice, a total of 3.5 miles, took me 5 hours to do going in, 3 going out. I don't have rocker protection or a front locker so my trail guide didn't want me going further just to be safe.

sent from a slablet

justcuz

Explorer
Good call, rocker protection is nice to have but not a requirement. The front LSD or locker makes life much easier.
You still got to see some beautiful country.
We did a trip down the Washington and Oregon Coast last year starting in Port Angeles. Hurricane Ridge, Hoh Rain Forest, etc. etc., I love the PNW. We try to get up that way at least once a year.

thethePete

Explorer
Check your IAT and ECT signals for your hard-start issue while cold.

Your death wobble is probably insufficient castor, and worn kingpins.

Nice project. Sent it to my buddy to inspire him to sack up and SAS his 89 half ton.

Ghostwarrior

Nice build. I read your message in mccustomize about my plan like his so I click yours to see your build. I would use the original upper control arm mounts to attach the coil over shocks. Right now I have rough country 6" lift kit and had no plm with it for 2 years even travel trans America trail on dirt roads. Only had trouble along the travel is worn out pitman arm and idler arm ball joints. I don't want to use 8 lugs axles. I want to keep in tight budget. I like mccustomize s work as keeping 6 lugs.

justcuz

Explorer
Check your IAT and ECT signals for your hard-start issue while cold.

Your death wobble is probably insufficient castor, and worn kingpins.

Nice project. Sent it to my buddy to inspire him to sack up and SAS his 89 half ton.

I will add that the injector spiders on these engines are notorious for leaking. The replacement spiders are much improved. The fuel pressure regulator may be shot too. To test it, clamp or plug your return line from the regulator to the tank. Turn on the key and listen for the fuel pump to run and stop. Try starting. If it starts right away, it is the regulator.

Ghostwarrior

how about ABS ? im sure older ford dana 44 dont have front ABS sensors.. i know it will light come on when computer dont see pulse from sensors and will turn light on..

justcuz

Explorer
I don't recall what he did, but if it was mine the ABS would be long gone. I've had ABS exhibit some strange symptoms after extended washboard road travel that make the brakes less effective than without the ABS system functional.
His front axle is a Dana 60.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
No mo abs, my font axle is too old. I still have the abs module as it acts like a proportioning valve. Pulled the fuse and the indicator light.

As for the hard start issue, it only happens in winter when it's cold, it starts just fine otherwise. And the fuel injection spider has already been upgraded so that shouldn't be the cause. I won't know until it's cold again.

sent from a slablet

justcuz

Explorer
I think Pete is on to something then. IAT and ECT can be checked in any weather I believe. A scan tool can read the IAT in degrees F or C. The coolant temperature sensor can be tested with a multimeter or scan tool.

Some good diagnostics on troubleshootmyvehicle.com, along with corresponding trouble codes.

thethePete

Explorer
If you have a scanner, monitor both sensors, and unplug them, they should flatline out on the scanner when you unplug them, and when you check your ECT and IAT cold, they should be within a few degrees of each other, prior to starting the engine. They should also be very close to ambient.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Forgot I had this thread here...

Copied and pasted from another forum:

Went for a little explore in Mineral Basin in American Fork canyon on the 4th with my brother, had a great time, up until the motor started acting like it was carbeurated. Started running rich and didn't want to idle or rev if I gave it too much throttle. I know the distributor on these motors is a common issue, but it wasn't acting like it usually does when the dizzy goes bad. On a hunch, I pulled the plugs to the MAF and IAT sensors to put the motor into limp mode, and it ran just fine after that until I got pointed downhill. It only happens at high elevation and when the motor has been working hard and is heat soaked. I think it might be a good time to throw some new sensors at it.

Overall, fun times were had by all.

https://youtu.be/sbJt4328kSA

https://youtu.be/eFz4Xj62fKw

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven