1999 GMC Yukon Build

noJeepshere

Adventurer
What does a GMC Yukon look like on one ton axles? Like this B-)

d5958b8634177cf78a5918cb5c3e5334.jpg

7af2ef410638eb4a632bbf43bd387522.jpg

9cad797ed5d0d52439d5ffa18940a103.jpg

25aa6015256270b855bcc1b00fe49d43.jpg

cent frum a smaert fone

justcuz

Explorer
Looks very nice. If you used longer bolts do you think you could have retained the factory tow hooks? The Dodge wheels wil look nice also, as long as you keep them shiney.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Looks very nice. If you used longer bolts do you think you could have retained the factory tow hooks? The Dodge wheels wil look nice also, as long as you keep them shiney.
The front shackle hanger brackets required me to drill new holes in the frame where the tow hooks went, so no go on the stock hooks. I'm going to find a set of Jeep style hooks that I think have the same bolt spacing as my brackets for a temporary solution until I can get either a TJM bumper a guy nearby has or make one myself.

cent frum a smaert fone

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Nope, axle centerline is the same as the stock ifs was. I think it'll look a little less tall after I get the correct size tire on there. This is just a temporary placement to figure out the shock mounts and steering clearances.

cent frum a smaert fone

justcuz

Explorer
It seems tall to me too...but I'm guessing the weight of a front bumper and a winch and a few thousand miles will settle those front springs a bit.
Looks like a shackle flip may have been perfect for the rear.
If needed he can mix and match spring leafs from a GMT400 3/4 ton truck and use truck overloads which are progressive.
The truck overload is thinner out toward the ends and longer with wear pads, the Tahoe overload is pretty short and consistent in its thickness its entire length so when your down on it, it is pretty harsh.
Installing 64" truck springs is doable, but requires relocating the spring perches on the frame and may not be worth it in the end. However early Pre 88 4wd rear spring mounts on these chassis are an easy way to lift the rear and install the 64" rear springs too.
How long are your front springs eye to eye nojeepshere?

noJeepshere

Adventurer
I'm using 2" lift 47" springs intended for an old square body chevy. The directions with the kit specify putting the rear shackle mount (for the front spring) 46.5" eye to eye. Those rear mounts are a pain in the butt, nothing wrong with the kit, just the fact they go inside the frame rails and every hole needs to be drilled while laying on the ground.

cent frum a smaert fone

justcuz

Explorer
Does the kit have multiple mounting points for the shackles to accommodate a longer spring? I am trying to remember correctly but I think a Jeep or Dodge application has a 52 or 56" spring with an off set center pin.
The front half of the spring is 23" which would move the axle forward and inch and give more flex.
Looks good, thanks for posting up your progress pictures.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Does the kit have multiple mounting points for the shackles to accommodate a longer spring? I am trying to remember correctly but I think a Jeep or Dodge application has a 52 or 56" spring with an off set center pin.
The front half of the spring is 23" which would move the axle forward and inch and give more flex.
Looks good, thanks for posting up your progress pictures.

The kit has two mounting locations on the rear bracket, but if you're going to use a longer spring, buy the appropriate kit from ORD.

jdog1

hey! I have a 1992 GMC Sierra and was considering a SAS like yours. however.... I have never done a SAS before. How difficult has it been for you so far? could a newb do it? Also

noJeepshere

Adventurer
hey! I have a 1992 GMC Sierra and was considering a SAS like yours. however.... I have never done a SAS before. How difficult has it been for you so far? could a newb do it? Also

If you have:

Impact wrench
Angle grinder
Various hammers
a pitman arm puller or pickle fork
a torch
a drill
wrenches
pliers
jack stands
a concrete pad
and the knowledge and ability to use them effectively, you too can axle swap your truck. The kit requires drilling and some fabrication (optional) but it is all relatively bolt on and fairly straightforward. Of course you also need a suitable front axle, rear axle if you feel so inclined, and a transfer case if you have autotrac. You'll need to reroute the exhaust and make new drivelines as well. As far as diffculty goes, it's not bad, your truck will just look hideous for a while while you're working on it. But it'll be so ************ after you're done.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Also, plan on about $5000 for the swap to do it right. Definitely not something you want to do if you're worried about getting your money back, but if you plan to keep your truck as a hobby, totally worth it.

jdog1

cool, thank you so much. Im gonna have to do some more research before hand though.(and save up some money)

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Not much visual progress lately, just going over the details of the final axle placement and prepping for my friend to fab up the shock mounts. I did have a few issues, the aforementioned exhaust clearance issue, and this:

8bafe38c14df714ab0b0c7b53f74c60a.jpg

01056ca195f997492cef0e8e398808a5.jpg

I spoke with ORD and they're figuring out what to do, as they've never seen this before...

I am a conversion u-joint and a brake master cylinder away from being able to drive around! :cool:

cent frum a smaert fone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven