1999 GMC Yukon Build

noJeepshere

Adventurer
So I've changed my mind on the wheel and tire combo, and am going with these:

ec9dd3d9cc1dd15a346b9a3eff368062.jpg

Time to break out the Sawzall.

No actually, I'm just joking, I'm not doing that, BFG makes their new all terrain in a 34x10.50 size, which I think will look just about perfect, kinda like these:

42300c2c6f1ee1655d03f58e9cfb0223.jpg

That is a 315 size tire from Keith's tow rig.

Also, we got the front shock mounts mostly fabbed up, just got to do the bump stops. Started on the rear mount but ran out of light so we'll finish another time.

b243abfc6c569e2ce91c208501f90865.jpg

eb4bf92f664ad5c91a5b920ae0e1b08d.jpg

2988e5933ffcf18eace85dbd43771e21.jpg

Monday hopefully we'll get the rear mounts finished and Tuesday I can plumb the brakes and install the rest of the steering and it'll be driving!

Then off to the exhaust shop.

cent frum a smaert fone

justcuz

Explorer
Those 315's really fill up the wheel wells! I think the 34's will be perfect when you set it down on the ground.
Looks very nice, thanks for posting your progress.

arveetek

Adventurer
I hadn't logged in for a while (life gets busy, ya know?) and was surprised to see what all you've done this summer! Looking good, man!

Casey

arveetek

Adventurer
Thanks, it's been a project that's for sure. How's your ride coming along?

Haven't had much time to do anything. It's my daily driver, so the miles have just been racking up is all. I've nearly worn my Kenda Klever's out already. Nearly 2.5 years and 30K miles on them. I was hoping to squeak out 40K, but I don't think I'm going to make it.

Haven't been off road in quite a while. Hope to get some mud on the tires this fall, anyway.

I'll be watching the odometer roll over to 300K miles pretty soon!!

Casey

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Mine is my daily driver too, I'm just very glad my best friend flies to Alaska every summer and let me use his Tacoma.

Hope you find some time to upgrade yours in the near future.

cent frum a smaert fone

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Yeah it's uh, actually taken a bit more time than I had hoped to spend on it, but that's how they all go isn't it?

cent frum a smaert fone

justcuz

Explorer
I know your not there yet but I thought I would let you know those front springs I recommended a while back are from Wagoneers. They are the same length as stock Chevy front springs but have the pins ahead of center. If you have any tire rubbing issues the Wagoneer springs will move your axle forward a bit to help with the issue.
Looking forward to more info on the project, it's going to be pretty bullet proof.

noJeepshere

Adventurer
Finally got the long shock tabs for the rear axle so I could finish up there. I cut out the rear upper shock mounts off and made a crossmember out of 1-3/4 tube for the upper mounts, and some ORD tabs on the axle. Got everything welded up and painted tonight and shocks mounted. I no longer have a bouncy rear end!

925539a52f554e969804877eb8a6793c.jpg

f5ead049fa352248cf07531435fa1cef.jpg

1a5da761e0702fff4c4a74d0f122542e.jpg

7646d2edaecbb61715d124db8b8d9a90.jpg

Also, since I'm running short on time and the front axle needs new gears as well as seals, I took it to my mechanic to have him give it a thorough refreshing, and as soon as it's back I can put it in and finish this stage of the swap and have a running driving truck again!

cent frum a smaert fone

thezentree

pretend redneck
Man, you're building my dream truck from six or seven years ago. I had a green '97 Yukon with plans for SAS and 38s. I'd bought the ORU kit, a HP60, and some 38" TSLs, but by that point it had close to 300,000 miles on it and was starting to have a bunch of electrical problems. I traded it in before I even built the axle.

That's going to be a great truck. Keep posting pics!

thezentree

pretend redneck
I thought your username seemed familiar! I haven't really used CK5 in a long time, I really need to renew my membership.

I actually just moved to KY a little over a month ago, but all is well. Finished engineering school and will hopefully have more free time and money for another rig once I get settled at work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven