1999 Jeep Wrangler 2.2L Kubota diesel swap

redveloce

Adventurer
Well, I received and installed my new PCM last night, and the tach and voltage regulator won't work with it! This was the same circuit that died on my original PCM. I swapped back to the PCM I was using and they both work, so I called the company and they're having me ship it back under warranty. Apparently it's a common failure...

Krytos

Adventurer
This is honestly one of my favorite threads on ExPo. I've been following it very closely as the idea of a small diesel motor is really intriguing.

I assume it all has to do with mounting and routing lines and belts, but is there any provision or possibility for AC? In Miami, it's kind of a necessity as our climate is not as awesome as the PNW.

redveloce

Adventurer
The Jeep didn't originally have AC, but I do plan to add it at some point. All of my mounts and brackets are completely custom, so I'll just have to figure out another one.

Krytos

Adventurer
the adapter to mate the Kubota to the transmission is completely custom too, correct?

I was looking at Overland Diesel's page and they have Kubota Swaps featured on their page but seem to concentrate more on the T-90 tranny.

Edit to add:

It's been said before in this thread but there seems to be such an obsession with swapping large diesels like the 4BT into Jeeps. There's no reason a small to medium diesel with proper gearing can't do well on the road as well as on the rocks. One of the reasons I picked up a Rubicon transfer case was in the event I go diesel, in order to maximize the power of a small engine when crawling.

The ability of these industrial engines to use biodiesels also helps future proof the Jeeps to a certain extent.

So thanks, for this thread and for your efforts. I'll be following very closely as this swap is both efficient and relatively cheap.

(Also, the fact you're guinea pig-ing also serves those that might want to try this swap in the future, so thanks in that respect as well)

Last edited:

redveloce

Adventurer
the adapter to mate the Kubota to the transmission is completely custom too, correct?

Correct, a machinist friend did the measurements and machining for me.

So thanks, for this thread and for your efforts. I'll be following very closely as this swap is both efficient and relatively cheap.

(Also, the fact you're guinea pig-ing also serves those that might want to try this swap in the future, so thanks in that respect as well)

You're welcome, the bill will be in the mail :sombrero:

redveloce

Adventurer
We went camping this weekend for the first time this year, and I had the chance to do quite a bit of playing around. Unfortunately the GoPro died, so most of the pictures and videos were taken from my phone.

Loaded return weight

20130505_192142_zps1aee972e.jpg

Ascending a small hill

Clearing the road

The tree was binding between two others, so I paused to have my cameraman back away.

We were just exploring and playing around. I was playing with the throttle quite a bit, but it will idle up nearly anything. We didn't get any video of it crawling around for some reason.

Coco didn't want to leave...

20130505_162822_zps76ec7686.jpg

Krytos

Adventurer
Do you have an video or experience you can relay as to climbing steep grades or any other type of crawling type activities?

redveloce

Adventurer
I followed a powerline clearing over some very steep, rocky hills, and it didn't even break a sweat at idle. That's really it's strongest suit.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Thanks for all of the info here!

I've been considering a powertrain swap in my 73 rover for years now. Been bouncing between rover diesels to chevy engines and everything in between.

I guess the thing that is nice here is that these engines are cheap, with the compound turbo they are quite peppy, and you can use em with 1/4 or 1/2 ton transmissions. Sourcing a AX-15 or NV3500 is A LOT easier than dealing with a big heavy expensive NV4500.

Thanks again for all of the info!

redveloce

Adventurer
True, but the one consideration is that nearly everything has to be custom fabbed. That can eat up a lot of the cost differential quickly!

The Eddie

Burning Questions

I certainly liked this thread, including your methodology, pre/during/after-build. Heck, I joined this site so I could make a pest of m'self.:yikes:

1. Have you tracked crankcase oil temperatures? I've looked at online manuals for this engine and not seen the factory heat exchanger many automotive diesels use OEM. Does it have oil circuit supply/return ports?

2. Were you able to keep the OE oil pan? What material is it made of?

3. What is the OAL of this engine, fan hub tip to back of block? Height, bottom of oil pan to highest point of rocker cover?

4. Looking at pics and the manual, I have to wonder about the lack of harmonic damper at the crank snout. Do you think adding one would be of value?

Happy Fourth,
Eddie, The

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater