1st gen Cummins/W250 and FWC Grandby revival

RichardSkinner

I haven’t updated in a while because... life has been busy and I haven’t got much done on the truck... excuses excuses.

I did pick up a Borgeson steering shaft and new rag joint. But more excitingly, a buddy gave me a York 210 compressor! That means I need to figure out how I’m going to make brackets and weasel it in there. Having on board air is going to be uuuuuuuge.

I'd roll it with the paint the way it is. It doesn't need to be pretty, it just has to get you out there and back.

Yeah, I am going to leave it as is for a while. I do like the patina and quite honestly I’d rather put the time and money to other sub projects on the rig. The more time consuming and expensive sub project will be an aluminum flat bed and side boxes. That will also be a functional project rather than aesthetic, so it’s a bigger priority for me.

wyoidi

Cool set-up! I've got an 92' grandby and an old 93' Ford IDI diesel, it seems to be a very similar project to yours. I was able to break the nuts loose on the propane line blocking the water tank by putting a lot of pressure on it with a wrench on both of the nuts on each side of the valve. Once that connection was removed i could gently finesse the tank out of there, mine was leaking and full of nasty mold. I but a new and bigger tank on the floor in the front storage area, a much better location i think. I also moved the breaker panel down to the same forward storage area so I could have access to the area where the tank sat for more storage. I also put my battery and solar charge controller down there come to think of it haha. Good luck with the build, we just took ours for it's maiden voyage last week, we love it!

RichardSkinner

I got a little jerked around today. I found a running W150 for sale with 103,000 miles. It was the perfect donor for an a cherry interior, OD transmission, the all the front stuff for my intercooler(grill, rad support, lights, and housings), manual roll up windows to replace my broken passenger electric window, and it had lots of extra stuff I could sell to off set the cost. Problem was, the guy had a destroyed spindle and wanted me to remove the truck. So I drove up with a flat bed trailer... He didn't tell me it wasn't in a spot that I could get the trailer near..... That's why he only wanted $500 for it. Bummer. This was going to be a huge parts bin for my project and I would have been able to sell its camper shell, other parts, and engine to net out at $0 easily. Oh well. Ultimately, it had nothing that I NEEDED and some of the things it had weren't exactly what I WANTED. I really want a manual transmission like a NV4500 - My first gear is too tall for my 3.07 diffs and 37" tires and I also don't have an overdrive. To add to that, I really am a fan of manuals. I like the transmission to do exactly what I tell it to do. I will watch, but NV4500s demand such a premium $

The good side is that I found a steal on a flat bed with tow utility boxes. I am going to head down tomorrow to pick it up -- hopefully I don't get jerked around again... I'd love to build an aluminum one and save the weight, but the price on this very good and I could fab up some mounts and throw it on. We will see how this turns out soon. Hopefully I have an update tomorrow.

Cool set-up! I've got an 92' grandby and an old 93' Ford IDI diesel, it seems to be a very similar project to yours. I was able to break the nuts loose on the propane line blocking the water tank by putting a lot of pressure on it with a wrench on both of the nuts on each side of the valve. Once that connection was removed i could gently finesse the tank out of there, mine was leaking and full of nasty mold. I but a new and bigger tank on the floor in the front storage area, a much better location i think. I also moved the breaker panel down to the same forward storage area so I could have access to the area where the tank sat for more storage. I also put my battery and solar charge controller down there come to think of it haha. Good luck with the build, we just took ours for it's maiden voyage last week, we love it!

Thanks! Yours sounds very cool. Any pictures? I am going to open up my water tank area again soon and just wrench on it hard.... If it breaks, i'll replace the lines. But as of now, there is a slow (maybe 2-3 drops every 20 seconds?) leak from the water tank. So it isn't a pressing priority. I do have the front area against the cab wall that I can build in, but I like to use it for storage for now. Once I flat bed and have utility boxes to store gear then I will start to build in that area. Most of my trips involve fishing, hiking, hunting, diving etc and I am a gear pack rat.

Dirt Rider

Hi Rich,

Im running the 6 inch lift as well and keep hitting the rear wheel well, have you had this problem?

milspecretard

Idk if you’ll see this but i was looking through google images and came across a photo from this forum. Noticed the truck, I’m currently the owner of it, I’m pretty sure I bought it from your brother in Redmond, Oregon and drove it up to Seattle area. It’s been a fun truck. Currently doing a head gasket on it, she’s about 400 hp now and pushing 45 psi. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77