2 Adults, 5 Kids, Every Country in North and South America in a Veggie Powered F250

sigi

veggie truck

hi there,
are there any technical information about your veggie oil truck on your webpage?

thanks

sigi

??? I don't know where my post went???

But, Great adventure you guys. I'm very envious, but on the same wavelength. The best I can do is take my wee lass on short adventures. Next up is a three day hiking weekend the second weekend of November. Should be a great trip to share with a friend and his boy.

My wife and I sat down and enjoyed your videos last night and tried to catch up on the Mexico portion of your blog. We are dreaming of taking a few weeks to go down to Belize and Guatemala to do some jungle exploration to the different Mayan ruins. We've got another kiddo due in March, so we may have to wait until the following summer when the kiddo is a year+. Lots of time to prepare and learn from your encouragement!!!

Thanks for posting here, and may the nay-sayers keep their bloody mouths shut!

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
I know you are so far, but when you are in Argentina, you need to visit:
Salta province
Jujuy province
then of course Buenos Aires, Capital Federal
South of Argentina: Trevelin, Gayman (small wales town), Bariloche, El Bolson, El Hoyo de Epuyen, Calafate, Peninsula Valdes, Puerto Piramide, Villa la Angostura, San Martin de Los Andes (those last town are very nice and are bigger than others), but Bariloche is one of the most turistic places to sky in Argentina.

Best!

Thanks for the tips!

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Close call with the car import permit. You just reminded me I need to track down our travel/import visas from when we went to Baja in February. We didnt cancel anything either!

Yeah, we won't forget that again! (Especially now with a $200 refundable deposit) :)

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Raspberries and Ruins - Jocotepec and Isla Mezcala, Mexico

From the town of Chapala, Mexico, if you head one west toward the end of the lake, you’ll reach the town of Jocotepec. But if you head east from Chapala, you’ll come across Mezcala.

We visited both on separate occasions.

Jocotepec we actually visited twice – each time with the same intent – raspberries.

Acres (or hectares) of raspberries are grown under green houses in Jocotepec (picked while still hard and pink and shipped to the states for Driscoll).

The raspberries that are already ripe can’t be shipped, and so are offered for sale to locals. That’s what we were after.

Click here for photos and video.

Jocotepec-03.jpg

Mezcala-48.jpg

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Tianguis (Street Markets) in Ajijic and Chapala, Mexico

Lake Chapala is a lovely place. The lake is flanked by several little towns along the length of it – Chapala, Ajijic and Jocotepec are a few that we visited.

The setting is very quaint – one of those cute little places that you like immediately. It has a nice mix of ‘authentic’ with expat influence. You can find what you need, but experience Mexico at the same time.

While there is a Walmart in Ajijic, and another large grocery store in Chapala, I prefer to do my shopping at local stores, and especially markets. That is the best way to really support local farmers and producers – (and to not support Walmart’s monopoly and infiltration of the world – can you tell I’m not a fan of Walmart?)

Click here for photos and video

Ajijic-Tianguis-12.jpg

Ajijic-Tianguis-27.jpg

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Dinner and a Show (aka Hamburgers and Horse Surgery) in Guadalajara, Mexico

This would never happen in the States. It’s one of those unexpected experiences that only happen abroad.

We received a dinner invitation to the home of a family who lives on the road between Chapala and Guadalajara.

By the time we finished eating, the vet had anesthetized the horse (who was now belly up on the ground) and we were just in time to watch the show.

Parker was extremely fascinated, and stood staring throughout the entire surgery. Kyah, who for years has stated her intention to be a doctor, vehemently declared she would do no such thing!

See the photos and video here.

Dinner-a-Show-03.jpg

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
I Don't Want to Travel if I Have to Be Sick Like This! Chapala, Mexico

Travel-Sickness.jpg

Sitting on the toilet, doubled over in pain, my pants around my ankles, I can hear in the dining area just outside the bathroom door, babies crying, children screaming, and chaos in general.

Between our family and that of the friends we’re staying with, there are four adults and 8 children. The adults are all feeling sick. The house is in shambles, and disorder reigns.

I think to myself – “This is travel. Glamorous, isn’t it?”

It started simple enough – a little boy complaining of being cold during our evening walk along the malecón (boardwalk) of Lake Chapala. Returning to the home of our hosts, it was apparent he had a very high fever.

Read more...

Initially, I was laughing to myself. Then I ran into the sunroom where the rest of the family was doing homework. Then I interrupted to read them your blog entry. Then, as a family who travels Central America ourselves and understands the perils, we laughed together. Love it.

Thanks for keeping such a great, informing blog. Emily says she wants to know all of your "secret, magic pill, essential oil cure things." Maybe you can tell her all about it in a month or so.... We're still going to try and find you guys when we get down there! :sombrero:

Keep up the great writing. Hope to see y'all soon!

wc

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
The Amazing Growing Volcano of Parícutin and Neighboring Village of Anaghuan, Mexico

One day in 1943, a farmer was out working his field with his wife and son, when suddenly, the earth below them began to tremble and shake. A hole opened up in the earth, and out spewed ash, smoke and sparks, which caught the nearby trees on fire. The ground rose 2 meters right before their eyes.

Naturally, the farmer and his family took off running. They returned later when the commotion had ceased and tried to cover the hole with rocks, but to no avail. Within a week the volcano was five stories tall.

Click here to read the rest of the post, and see video and photos.

IMG_8224.jpg

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
A Cathedral Encased in Lava and Some Dang Good Quesadillas

We parked our truck in the native Indian village of Angahuan, then hiked to where the village of Paricutin used to be, but now all that is left is their cathedral, jutting out from the jagged bed of lava. (If you didn’t already, read this post to learn the history of how this volcano came to be, and to see the photos from the village of Angahuan.)

Click here to read the rest of this post.

Paricutin-Tzararacua-042.jpg

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Tzararacua Waterfalls (Huh? How Do You Say That?)

Spanish is a pretty easy language to learn. It has a few rules, with a very few exceptions. The vowels always make the same sound, so it’s pretty easy to read, and say, once you learn what those are.

So when you come across words that you don’t know how to pronounce while in Mexico, it kind of throws you for a loop. Like Tzararacua, how the heck do you pronounce that?

Most often, words like that come from the more than 50 native languages that are also spoken in Mexico, besides Spanish. Languages like Nahuatl and Parépecha.

See photos and video of this huge, powerful waterfall, and read the rest of the post here.

Paricutin-Tzararacua-122.jpg

discovershare

Discover Share Inspire
Dia de Muertos EVE in Tzintzuntzan, Mexico

Another one of those native language words, Tzintzuntzan (sin-soon-sahn) is the name of a village neighboring Patzcuaro, where we were told that there would be a pretty big ‘to-do’ for the eve of Dia de Muertos.

Dia de Muertos is celebrated on November 2. Not at all related to Halloween (although Walmart tries to market it as such), Dia de Muertos is the day that you remember your loved ones who have passed on and celebrate their lives. It’s the day when you’re most likely to commune with them, when they are near.

Read more...

Tzintzuntzan-Dia-de-los-Muertos-04.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk