2 or 4 stablizer legs for M762 with a RTT?

seanz0rz

Adventurer
So here is the trailer: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/28287-Seanz0rz-s-M-762-trailer-buildup

From the first two pictures, you can see fore and aft on the trailer, there is a tube that runs across. I am assuming this tube was originally for some outrigger stabilizer/leveling legs. They were gone when i bought the trailer, but some of the pins and retainers were still present.

I want to build this:
stabilizer.jpg

To support the trailer when it eventually gets a roof top tent. The RTT will be big, and will cover the entire bed of the trailer.

my big question is should i make two, and install them on the rear to keep the trailer from falling back, or should I make 4 and put one on each corner? my goal is to have a steady trailer that i can level if on uneven ground. I predict the majority of my camping will be with the trailer disconnected from the 4Runner.

thanks for the help!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice little trailer sits good with the spring over.
I would make 4 stabilizer legs, Use perforated sign post tubes for adjustibility.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 6
  • $(KGrHqN,!l0E8F6fkQqQBPHu,yG(Og~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!l0E8F6fkQqQBPHu,yG(Og~~60_57.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 4

seanz0rz

Adventurer
it sits even better now with my offroad bumper with a higher receiver.

any more opinions on 2 vs. 4?

i like the idea of the sign posts, I'll have to see if they are more or less expensive than what i was planning.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
got enough steel to make 4.

perforated sign post material is EXPENSIVE! i rather drill out a couple dozen holes. one 10foot stick and one 5 foot was nearly as much as 20 feet of thicker material that i will most certainly use somewhere else.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I found it at the local ACE hardware store.

Attachments

• $T2eC16FHJIYE9qUcNS((BQCb44F)M!~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16FHJIYE9qUcNS((BQCb44F)M!~~60_57.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 4

seanz0rz

Adventurer
problem with that stuff is it is very thin. my original design was with 11 gauge, or close to 1/8". the telescoping tube i was looking at was 12 gauge (close enough). i would be willing to go down to 13 gauge, but no lower with the perforated stuff.

with all those holes, the ability of that stuff to fold over is pretty great, especially with the weight of the trailer on them, and the likelihood they will be on uneven ground. that is half the reason they use the thin tubes for signs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy