2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

Overlandtowater

Rust those are just natural speed holes... Drei cant wait till you find some fire roads up there and start running them like you did in the southwest.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Welcome to the northeast!

Soon you will experience.... TREES. Full sizes are tough to navigate a lot of the roads here. Looking forward to seeing your adventures here.

XJLI,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I used to run fire roads and tree trails out here two decades ago and I felt that my 95 pathfinder was too long and wide for the trails. Need to invest into two vital east coast trail survival tools: chainsaw and a winch. Can't wait to hit a couple trails once i finally settle in a bit more.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Saw a pretty cool RAM last week.

gaGneAe.jpg

There was a spiffy bolt-on mail order part Tacoma next to it, not worth taking pictures of.

1qWBkkg.jpg

Other side, little blurry cause I just woke up.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
First adventure in Maine: Found a giant wienermobile!

As we are slowly unpacking and making a list of everything that needs to be cleaned or fixed around the house and property we ran into this little gem on our last Walmart trip.

fSgkiem.jpg

One of the kids taking a picture of a lifetime!

GL6YE8D.jpg

Younger one did not care to much to step into the giant wiener on wheels.

EPfVMDN.jpg

Drivers and front passenger seats!

Kinda a cool little adventure. I have been secretly wanting to see this thing and the inside for the last 30 some years and finally used my kids as an excuse to get inside the wiener mobile.

Overlandtowater

LOL one broke down in my local Walmart they were trying to get help and everyone just gathered and started taking pictures it was great I just sat back and watched the show. The guy driving said it (the car) had been a ******** all day I busted out laughing and had to walk away.

dmolson92

Observer
Awesome build man! I love watching the updates of your shenanigans! How are the tires? Would you buy the patagonias again? I'm looking at them in 37x12.5r17 for my f350 because of price point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Awesome build man! I love watching the updates of your shenanigans! How are the tires? Would you buy the patagonias again? I'm looking at them in 37x12.5r17 for my f350 because of price point.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dmolson92,

I absolutely love the Patagonia MTs. I'm coming up to two years and 40,000 miles and about ready to order another set (1/2 set technically).

I know you said you want the 37x12.5R17

However Walmart has the 38x13.5R17TL for $198 shipped right now, that's $50 a tire less than the 37s, just saying.

I had an incident in the spring where I punctured a gash which I put in the tire couple months after I got them while exploring a volcano, so I ordered 2 more in April. I put the new ones in the rear and old ones up front. Now the fronts are at 40,000 miles, rears are at 5,000. Front rubber is still soft, still grips like hell and is holding up really really well. I am ordering two more in the next couple weeks and will keep the Patagonia MTs on the truck for the rest of it's life.

Only caviat is that I abused the crap out of them. 10psi for serious crawling, 15psi in sand and 20 psi on fire roads. I put at least 5,000 miles at 15-20psi in them on the highway driving back home because I did not want to get out for 10 minutes and pump them up. This caused much more wear than I expected. However if you run them at 45-50psi for regular driving you should get an easy 50,000 miles out of them.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I think I need different tools and toys for Maine woods trails

Playing on my first trail in an undisclosed location (my back yard) and I came up on this little branch blocking my way.

h9BOJIQ.jpg

Hooked up the tow strap and made a choker with a shackle.

48yVOoq.jpg

This branch is really bigger than it looks in the picture.

V8C6Zlz.jpg

Little muddy back here, but I used 2wd high anyway.

ki3k71R.jpg

Branch came down and out of the trees. End that's on lower left is 10" diameter, branch was around 40ft long. Now its firewood.

SWNXnB5.jpg

Pretty scenery. However a a shovel, trac-grabbers and a my trusty unijack will not be enough to effectively run and get unstuck in the back woods of New England. I might be looking at a winch and recovery tracks now. Of course it would have to be hidden ad must fit inside my Raptor bumper :)

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Covered bridges of Maine Part 1

Apparently New England is known for it's plethora of covered bridges. I remember driving around Vermont and New Hampshire 20 some years ago and checking out covered bridges that I saw from the highways. Now that I live here what better way to spend a day then to get lost on some dirt roads and explore as many covered bridges as I can. Turns out that there are only nine covered bridges left in the entire state of Maine. I packed the kids in the truck and we headed out to the first one, which is only 20 minutes from my house.

P635JOH.jpg

Old mill on the way to the first covered bridge.

io4ZsrS.jpg

Side of the Stanley Building. The moose looked cool, kids liked it and I didn't look into the history of this place.

WrIXj24.jpg

First covered bridge, Parsonfield-Porter Covered Bridge viewed from the main road just upstream from the bridge.

y9VHKSQ.jpg

The bridge has not been operational for several decades, since the modern bridge was built just upstream.

RONHL7x.jpg

Prettiest sign of any of the bridges we saw.

yEEFNi1.jpg

View from the other side of the bridge.

WYUe3BG.jpg

Architecture inside the covered portion of the Parsonfield-Porter Covered Bridge.

Tca2sM3.jpg

Ran into a couple roads that had these marking on them, apparently many of these roads are snow mobile trails in the summer and unmaintained roads that double as ATV trails are a lot of fun in a Suburban.

VrKBSxe.jpg

Hemlock covered bridge.

zBXHXDp.jpg

I half expected all the covered bridges be hiking only but this one is not blocked off and has a weight limit of 8 tons.

XZ73x2j.jpg

That was one of the most uneventful bridge crossings I have had in a long time.

O2uFg2S.jpg

So the oldest covered bridge in the state is still operational and can be driven across.

curNOrm.jpg

Pretty angle.

KIf890B.jpg

Internal structure of the Hemlock Covered Bridge.

1ktNQCy.jpg

Not quite southwest desert random stuff but close enough, we found Big Foot, I did get out and give him a high-five.

5UwcUdZ.jpg

Sunday River Covered Bridge.

QeZL1UG.jpg

Pretty angle through the trees.

zzJjaqD.jpg

Yet another covered bridge for show only and can not be driven across.

DpFXRcw.jpg

1872, we got us a young one, I got head stones in my back yard older than that.

ndEnFCg.jpg

Inside architecture of the Sunday River Covered Bridge.

We drove past Sunday River ski resort and there were still some patches of snow on the slopes, as tempting as it was to grab my AT gear and make a couple turns, it didn't seem possible with a 4 year old, 2 year old and a new born in tow. Next year I will find snow in New England to ski in June.

End of part 1, we found a several more bridges before calling it a day and heading home. Continued in part 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg