2000 Suburban K1500 budget low lift with 37"s

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Did not get a chance to attach the trail rated badge to Suburban, will do it when it's a little warmer but I did get a new OEM bumper, grill and fenders on the Liberty.

We had an inch of snow last night and my kids convinced me to get out in the yard and drive around in the snow.

97AzFK3.jpg

I definitely need to finish painting both the Suburban black and Liberty one color, feel like such a redneck with all body panels mismatched colors.

Stay tuned for more shenanigans!

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
When I built the Sub, I was on a tight budget but had standards and absolutely wanted to have a Detroit locker in the back. I could have gone a much less expensive route with a full spool, mini spool, lunchbox locker or even welding it, however after snapping two axles for separate but equally stupid reasons, I decided to shell out the $800 and get a real Detroit locker in the rear. I absolutely love it and will never ever even consider anything else for a daily driver dedicated trail rig.

I have also heard of Lincoln lockers or welding rear spider gears and always wanted to try it.

Here is how I did it on my Jeep Liberty without removing the carrier from the diff.

This is what all other instructional videos do not tell you:

It can be done with a 110V stick welder. I chose stick over my 110V wirefeed because Harbor Freight mirefeed welder has a ridiculous amount of splatter and it just does not penetrate nearly as well as a stick.

Cleaning out differential fluid takes a crap load of time!! at least two cans of brake parts cleaner, lots of wiping and scrubbing, oh yeah when you rotate the gears it re coats everything all over again.

Heating with a propane torch is vital for both burning off residual oil, brake parts cleaner and warming up the metal for a better weld. It took over 30 minutes of burning to burn off the diff fluid that I could not get out with wiping or wire brush.

Warming up 7018 welding sticks in a toaster oven for 4-6 hours at 200F makes welding smoother.

Welding just one side gear to carrier turns the rear end into a fully locked differential. Welding the other side gear to carrier increases the strength. Welding the spider gears to the carrier prevents any wiggle or play among the gears.

Welding the spider gears to each other is not necessary. Rear axles are only in direct contact with the side gears and as long as the side gears are welded securely to the carrier you have in turn made a reliable full spool out of your differential.

5k786nZ.jpg

Before welding Chrysler 8.25"

3InvumP.jpg

Stick welded Chrysler 8.25" rear diff.

Bottom line is that it's not that difficult, cleaning and heating the metal takes at least an hour. Any dedicated non street driven trail rig I will ever own from now on will have a welded rear diff, which includes my 96 Tahoe plow truck.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I don't know if I should be happy or sad but my little Jeep finally made it through a 3-4ft high snow bank without getting stuck. And I started repainting it.

xfh7UtB.jpg

So much for my original plan of doing a John Deere green, neon green won over.

So Suburban is back to big boy yard duty!

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Saw this for sale locally and thought of this thread ?

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6991852

phsycle,

Holly cow, 144k miles and they are asking $7,000 for it, thats absolutely insane. I would wait a couple more weeks when the gas hits $5/gal and you'll be able to pick it up at a much more reasonable $2,000 its really worth.

Just to give you an idea, I paid $4,100 for mine with 108k miles in 2013. Gas was about $2.50/gal and that was an average price for them back then.

phsycle

Adventurer
phsycle,

Holly cow, 144k miles and they are asking $7,000 for it, thats absolutely insane. I would wait a couple more weeks when the gas hits $5/gal and you'll be able to pick it up at a much more reasonable $2,000 its really worth.

Just to give you an idea, I paid $4,100 for mine with 108k miles in 2013. Gas was about $2.50/gal and that was an average price for them back then.

Yes, it’s crazy what used cars sell for right now.
I was just more intrigued at the cat eye front end. I didn’t know they came that way on Burb’s.

bigdogyj

Agreed that’s a lot for a 1/2 ton. That’s getting into K2500 territory. And yes that front end came on Suburban’s and Tahoe’s for the Mexico market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Yes, it’s crazy what used cars sell for right now.
I was just more intrigued at the cat eye front end. I didn’t know they came that way on Burb’s.

phsycle,

Wow, I am so used to seeing my Sub with the Avalanche cateyes that I completely missed it in the KSL listing. BTW KSL classifieds are amazing, still buy stuff there to this day, lol.

The vin doesn't tell me much, I'm sure that if anyone with carfax or autocheck can pull up where it was sold or registered first.

3GNFK16Z53G173228

Most suburbans sold in the US 00-06 were made in Mexico, a few in Canada and US, correct me if I am wrong.

They were made for the Mexican market with Silverado front end, but I wonder if that one was changed over just like mine, just because you can.

direwolf82

This is my favorite thread so far. Love what you did and showing that a little crazy isn't doomed to fail and common internet "knowledge" isn't always what is cracked up to be. I love taking my basically stock truck where people say it'll never make it.
Can't wait to see that thing make it all the way to 54" tires!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Overlandtowater

Funny you mention the Mexican market suburban, I live in SE MO and have a quite large Hispanic population, I was working a house down that way and there was a cat eye suburban sitting in the drive way with Mexico tags, I asked the guy about it but with the language barrier it took a while and as far as I know he bought from a dealer in Mexico that way....it is now owned by a white guy and will come up for sale agian before long. I wonder if there are any other things different with it as far as gearing, or lockers?

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Funny you mention the Mexican market suburban, I live in SE MO and have a quite large Hispanic population, I was working a house down that way and there was a cat eye suburban sitting in the drive way with Mexico tags, I asked the guy about it but with the language barrier it took a while and as far as I know he bought from a dealer in Mexico that way....it is now owned by a white guy and will come up for sale agian before long. I wonder if there are any other things different with it as far as gearing, or lockers?

dirtdobberoffroad,

The only difference between US/world market and Mexican market 03-06 Suburban was the non cladded cateye front clip, everything else was exactly the same as US market Subs or they could probably be built to customers spec with different gearing or G80 locker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle