2001 Chevy Tracker ZR2 Exploration Vehicle

transalper

Explorer
OME kit arrived today!!
4u3u2y7u.jpg

transalper

Explorer
Nice rig! Roomier than I thought. What kind of mpg do you get with the 4x4 V6 ?

19-22. We'll see how much the lift effects the mpg.

The ride with the new shocks is an improvement over stock. It's smoother on most surface.

I pulled off the front sway bar and body roll is minimal. Body roll is comparable to stock with the sway bar attached.

Sent from mobile device. Pardon the brevity.

Last edited:

dar395

Adventurer
Tracker and Weak Spots

I'm on Tracker #9, glad to see your having fun with yours, they are a great light weight back roader and will give you many miles of use.

The first two things that I have found to do to the Tracker when first purchasing is #1 is running a can of Sea-foam through the engine, 1/2 in the oil and 1/2 in the gas tank, this will assure that your little bitt-ie oil holes in the lifters stay clean and the timing chain tensioners keep working. The second that most seem to never take care of are the power windows, spray the tracks of the windows just by opening them all the way with a very large amount of silicone spray to keep them moving freely, these are weak motors, most Tracker will have troubles in this area and it really is a simple maintenance task. These are getting harder to find and are a capable rig. Enjoy!

tincankilla

thanks for updates and a question

Hi Transalper, 100 thanks for posting these updates!! I've read them with great interest, as I just picked up a new-to-me and stock 2001 Tracker ZR2. I'm embarking on my own modification path for a road-ready but rugged trail vehicle. My dad and I will use it for back country hunting in OR, so it will get some hard use.

A question, though: do you have a photo of the underside of the engine compartment you could share? My ZR2 has shielding over the gas tank, but I suspect that someone along the line removed the front skid plate and didn't replace it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it's supposed to look like...

a photo for the brotherhood
IMG_20141011_083614_258.jpg

Last edited:

dar395

Adventurer
TINCANKILLA; Good Luck with the Tracker, I don't have a photo of the front skid but you can find them on e-bay for very little $$'s most of them never get put back on after changing the oil. Rock Auto still has a fair amount of parts for these car's, I've just got my latest 2002 on the road/trails. Watch the timing chain and you'll enjoy the trails with her they are very capable trail runners. Nice to see another one added on the site. Dean

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Transalper, how is your back gate holding up with the tire and fuel canister on it. My samurai II (95-2002) and many of the guys here in Chile that have Vitaras have had problems with wheeling these cool little rigs with the tire on the back gate due to the weight. My hinges started to tear the sheet metal where the hinge met the body. Most of the guys here put a DIY bumper w/ Swingout tire carrier and they put the jerry cans/hi-lift on that. Just curious as to how yours was holding up. Super cool little rig!

transalper

Explorer
Gate is holding up fine. There was more rattle from the gate. I adjusted the nifty little elliptical disc on the side of the rear door and eliminated the sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk