2001 Jeep Cherokee - Budget/Quality Weekend Overlander

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Front end got wrapped up yesterday. New coils and say bar link ends. Drives like a whole new jeep. Not going to have time to do the leaf springs before our trip on Thursday. Pulled off the old cross rails and got the new Proline towers and cross rails mounted up, remounted the rack and awning. Now all I have to do is an oil change and get her cleaned up and ready for two days of offroading and camping!

Last edited:

GordoSmasho

Observer
Fyi Rear shackle bolts will likely be 13/16. Shoot some pb blaster on all the fasteners you need to work loose two days before you do any work. Then hit them again the day before. Spring bolts commonly break when being removed for the first time. Thats a bear removing the factory inner frame side nut.

Mitch502

Explorer
And make sure to anti-seize everything going back in! You'll thank yourself when you have to repair something on the trail and it comes out like butter

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Hey all, long time no post.

I snapped the old leafs in the jeep pulling into a gas station about 3 weeks ago, been a pain trying to get the new ones in. The old front frame bolt would not come out. But those have worked themselves out.

My 98' Civic threw a main bearing, had to get something new as they wanted almost 3k to replace the motor and that's above my mechanical ability. Sooooo, I bought a 2011 Ram 1500 QC w/ the 5.7L Hemi 4x4 with the tow package which includes HD engine and tranny coolers and 3.92 gears. I am in love.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good choice on the Dodge with the Hemi. My Grand Cherokee WK has the 5.7L in it, and I love it... I wish I had gone with the 1500 instead sometimes as the Jeep is rather small.

Enjoy!

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Got the new leafs in late last night, which is making for a long morning.. :coffee: The rear shackles are at a severe angle and plus they are at an extended length over the stock shackles, however in not sure by how much. The shackles and raised height are making for a rough ride in addition to the lack of sway bar... Any ideas? I really don't want to tackle that rear shackle bolt, but maybe I need to. CShontz put the same leafs on his Cherokee but I believe with stock shackles.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Can you post a pic of the setup? It definitely sounds like something isnt fitting right. Pics would help. Front and rear spring eyes. Shackle from multiple angles. Is the spring center pin centered or offset?

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Hey all,

Been super busy with work and fire department haven't had much time to mess with the jeep, ill be dropping a leveling kit in the ram tonight, so hopefully ill be able to grab some pictures of the shackles tomorrow. Im figuring dropping the shackle height should improve my ride significantly, I don't really want to drop a whole lot more money in the Cherokee because the end of this year the plan is to upgrade the fiance' 05 Grand to a 11 or 12 Grand and have hers replace the Cherokee, Ill move the roof rack from the Cherokee to her grand and through a leveling kit on hers and call it a day.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Update:

Haven't driven the jeep in a while the ride is so horrible its unbearable to ride in it. Find out I couldn't put in the leveling kit on the ram without new lowers, mine were shot. Not to mention the girl wants to look at a dart instead of a new grand.... I can't figure out why.

virginia_jeeper

Craft Beer Explorer
Hey guys,

I'll be headed down to Corolla, NC for a day at the beach and on the sand. Decided against the truck for this trip. The awning on the jeep sure does make a world of difference when your on the beach. Can't wait to load down the jeep with the dogs, girl, and Yeti and hit the beach! Drove the jeep the other day and all is well. Her 05' Grand Cherokees' battery is starting to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman