2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Weekender41 said:
And I certainly hope the ARB front bumper allows me to keep my front skid. That Is my largest worry right now ... :/

Anyways I am still looking into the 7100 series or the 5165 series bilstein shocks. If anyone has experience with either (on any vehicle) please let me know.

Cheers everyone.

I guess I missed where you decided to go with the ARB bumper. You won't be disappointed, I can attest to that! Mine allowed me to keep my stock front skid (if that's the one you're talking about). The rock guard or whatever they called it that goes from the underside of the bumper to the front of my skid plate sits on top of the skid when bolted, looks really clean.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
I guess I missed where you decided to go with the ARB bumper. You won't be disappointed, I can attest to that! Mine allowed me to keep my stock front skid (if that's the one you're talking about). The rock guard or whatever they called it that goes from the underside of the bumper to the front of my skid plate sits on top of the skid when bolted, looks really clean.

Haha oh, yeah I did not mention that. Let's put it this way, I took the TAG bumper off the list and have Armorology and ARB left. Both would be great bumpers so I may just save the money and go arb. I am glad you are liking yours. Hopefully with the unibody design, the mounts wont incorporate where the skid is installed but I can cut and weld (sort of) maybe my pops can help me with that. Oh and the rear bumper I had mentioned earlier about having a buddy design.. Well he did, and It was one single bar that attached nearly the same as the hitch pack and it sits underneath the tow hitch... yeahhhhh that was completely not what I was going for. Its kinda sad though because he got a D on that project (apparently not enough effort into it) poor guy. Anyways seat covers and lights and the lift are coming. the 7100 shocks are starting to look really nice with 12" travel. I may pull that trigger today as well.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Wow, looks like youv'e been busy with the mods! Come along nicely, can't wait to see the pics when you have all the goodies on it.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
ok so I spoke with a rep on the shocks, 5165 instead of the 7100's because of the easier reservoir mount-ability that come with the 5165. I have to do a good driving test and see what exactly I want out of the shock so I can order the correct valving. Getting them valved correctly the first time is going to help but if it turns out to not be what I am looking for then I can always revalve. the suggestion I got was 255/70. The front number is Rebound. Rear number is compression. All are measured in Newtons. So the higher the number the more force needed to move that direction(rebound=down. Compression =up travel.) So I have to think a lot about how I want this shock to perform..

on another note. I have decided the ARB front bumper, I bought skid washers, and quickfist collection to secure the items like flashlights, shovel or snowbrush (depending on the season) lug wrench, first aid kit, and possibly the new tundra fire extinguisher.

Also, after a long discussion with a Daystar rep about the black synth line roller fairleads they sell, he convinced me I would not have any issues. It is also all black which will look good on the ARB bumper which I am making very black as well. So I ordered that as well (fairlead not bumper). All that is left to do is to custom order the rear shocks. Get the lift and all accompanied parts in, finish my rear storage area and off the Colorado and Medicine Bow every weekend. The savings for the bumper will begin next Monday :)

travel well

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Awesome plans, can't wait to see it all come together! I feel better about my fairlead purchase with you going the same route now.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Just FYI, I never bad mouth anyone online but I had a flat out horrible experience with shockwarehouse. They shipped me the wrong shock (one of two rear shocks), then gave me a run around (won't return emails, calls) for a month. I then reached out to KYB directly and even they couldn't make them do a simple exchange. Because KYB called him (I think it's one or two guys that run the online company out of their basement or something) he left me a nasty message. After 2 months I gave up and bought the shock on Amazon. The $5 cheaper than Amazon just wasn't worth it after eating the cost of the shock that they won't exchange. Anyway, just a heads up.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
Re: shockwarehouse

Thanks for the heads-up on shockwarehouse. I only included that link for informational purposes. I purchased my 5150's from my local 4wheelparts retailer, which ended up being about the same total price as an online purchase + shipping.

F4-BF5-A196-H1

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Just FYI, I never bad mouth anyone online but I had a flat out horrible experience with shockwarehouse. They shipped me the wrong shock (one of two rear shocks), then gave me a run around (won't return emails, calls) for a month. I then reached out to KYB directly and even they couldn't make them do a simple exchange. Because KYB called him (I think it's one or two guys that run the online company out of their basement or something) he left me a nasty message. After 2 months I gave up and bought the shock on Amazon. The $5 cheaper than Amazon just wasn't worth it after eating the cost of the shock that they won't exchange. Anyway, just a heads up.

This is very good information. Thank you.

Xplorx4 Thank you as well on the part number and everything. If the shocks are discontinued would that create any type of problems ordering them??

Thanks everyone, you guys have been a big help. Im going to have to rock one of those stickers on it!

Cheers!!

XPLORx4

Adventurer
If Bilstein has discontinued that shock model, I would try to find an equivalent model that has the same valving and dimensions. I guess if that means paying the extra $$ for the 5165 or getting the lower-cost reservoir-less 5125, so be it.

Equivalent 5125: 33-185552

Equivalent 5165: 25-177510

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
If Bilstein has discontinued that shock model, I would try to find an equivalent model that has the same valving and dimensions. I guess if that means paying the extra $$ for the 5165 ...slice... so be it.

Equivalent 5165: 25-177510

Definitely more towards this one! Thanks.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Picture Heavy

Okay guys, today was incredibly nice so me and the girlfriend headed out to the hills nearby and tested out the skids. She got pretty into it which was super cool. She was my photographer so thanks Steph!
Trip 1 My Loves.jpg

There was a lot of run-off from some recent storms so I figured we would see some puddles haha. The mountains get a bunch of cool streams after rain so we took a couple pictures.

Trip 1 Water 2.jpg

This did lead to some pretty sketchy wash-outs but the pathfinder would not be stopped! :)

Trip 1 Wash-Out.jpg

The Pathfinder has continued to excel for my needs, however the skids were dinged once during this outing so I was glad to have them!

Trip 1 Profile.jpg

Rocking some stickers haha. (more horsepower...bro)

Trip 1 Trail 3.jpg

Did have once occasion where she was certain the bumper would hit....

Trip 1 She had no faith.jpg

Not a problem at all!

Trip 1 Thumbs Up.jpg

Did manage to move that rear axel around quite a bit, It did great so I am interested to see what new shocks and springs will do... :)

Trip 1 Flex 1.jpg
Trip 1 Flex 2.jpg

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Lift coils came in today. Still waiting for a lot to arrive before my next round of installation. This picture is what the lift coils should do if 2" is actually obtained through them. I like it haha. This was taken a while ago though.
pathfinderlifthypo.jpg

Hopefully packages arrive soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy