2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
wich springs and rear shocks are those?

don't forget to get an alignment when your done.

Haha yeah I know which is why I will wait until everything is here money wise before going through. Anyways the kit is the AC 2" lift coils with Bilstein 5165 series 255/70 reservoir shock.

Last edited:

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
ITS BEEN A WHILE
Ok so lots of time has passed since I have been on this forum, I have been pretty busy with the National Guard stuff and so for about the last five weeks I couldn't update this. Lots has happened though, I took a trip to Durango and the surrounding cities for a week and that was fun. I took the pathfinder through Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir and Corkscrew passes. That was a blast! And if you guys like to eat.. Durango has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the US, at least that is what the brochure said. Anyways so this trip was all done before the lift went on so the Pathfinder was still at a normal stance. Throughout the whole thing there was only one spot on Imogene Pass that I needed 4LO and even that took more than one try. Here is going to be my favorites from the trip. I will post more once I can get the photos to upload to flickr or photobucket...whichever loads faster. Anyways so here is a few.

PICTURE HEAVY

P1000990-1.jpg
P1010001 -1.jpg
P1010005-1.jpg
Lookie who I saw!! ha now that was one cool rig
P1010027-1.jpg
Followed by some old school toyota
P1010039-1.jpg
Very cool little gap fill
P1010041-1.jpg
P1010045-1.jpg
And a newer Toyota! very upgraded 4runner
P1010048-1.jpg
Blind curve to the extreme
P1010051-1.jpg
P1010057-1.jpg

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
PIC HEAVY CONT'D
I think this explains the rest!
P1010606-1.jpg
Its hard to show how steep this part was but I was in 4LO with the E-Brake on slightly and still was on the brakes to gently ease it down. If you go to fast a tight turn hugging a cliff face meets you.
P1010613-1.jpg
Town of Telluride with all the "I survived Black Bear" shirts you could wish for.
P1010615-1.jpg
Sooooo many Jeeps! They were surprised the Pathfinder made it but, its downhill..so with good brakes you're set!
P1010619-1.jpg
P1010627-1.jpg
This was right after the Bridal Veil Falls switchbacks and honestly this was the worst part. Tires were slipping, crazy rough, skid plates were used and to top it off the vehicle decided to slip towards the edge or the giant cliff! AAAH moment for sure.
P1010631-1.jpg
This was the best photo I had to show how tight the switchbacks were, I had to do a 5 point turn on most of them.
P1010640-1.jpg
P1010649-1.jpg

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Bear with me moderators :)

I sure hope the pics stay working.. the beginning 60% of this thread the photos were taken off due to issues outside my control. Anyways hope they stay up. I have loads more photos from the trip but those were some of my favorites. I am in the process of getting the photos I have recently been able to take uploaded. They will show the lift and how I am beginning to start my rear bumper :) :)

I am still running the same size tires as winter is fast approaching and the snow groove and extreme weather rating on these cooper's is a thing of beauty! after the winter I will be moving to 235/85. The stock rear plastic 'bumper cover' and the tin 'bumper' are now off. I have a tube of steel bolted through the normal bumper locations for just a little back support for "just in case", but the mounts don't look so tough so I wouldn't trust the good bumper to them. Anyways this made the exhaust look like someone threw it under the back since the hitch, spare tire and all the pieces associated with holding the spare tire have been removed. To remedy this, I thought a nice custom exhaust would be great but with the bumper still being made I held off. For now I spent 20 bucks at AutoZone for some exhaust pipe and made it curve around the back of my tire. Departure angle sure is nice but with no bumper and no mudflaps I am working efficiently to get the tire carrier finished before deep snow comes (don't want to be the guy throwing globs of snow and slush at whoever is behind me). The bumper will follow the Calmini Style that Xplorx4 showed but with a handful of alterations. That is what this forum is all about right? Many thanks for the ideas.

On a side note.. The excel-g struts I got to replace the old ones were all correct except for the machining on the top where the nut goes on. Long story short, Im still using the old ones but they are just fine. Both sway bars are off, this I like. My shocks make a weird clinking noise when hitting a bump or road deficiency, was pretty worried but was riding in my buddies 09 Wrangler and his do the same thing and he said its normal...I don't like that normal but I will look into some sound-proofing. The OME suspension that was in there, man-o-man was it shot!! The shocks were EASILY collapsed with my hands and took about 5 minutes to fully open again, then again its a big testament to how good their springs are because I thought the ride was fine and I pretty much was riding just springs in the back. Well now the ride is more still and controlled. Everyone else who has upgraded has said the same thing but yeah worlds of different. This does make me wish I knew what a stock R50 Pathfinder rides like. Mine had the OME when I bought it so that is one thing I was never able to experience.

Weeelp, that's all for now folks. Tomorrow morning I should have the lift photos and most recent photos of the ride. Stay safe everyone.. I don't know about where you live but its starting to freeze at night here.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
One bad note :( the drivers side lower CV boot (im Purdy sure) got caught on something the first time I took it out after the lift and got spun around and popped out of its seal. It was all deformed and gnarley so I tried to pop it back into shape and reattach it after a field expedient cleaning and it worked okay until the next time I locked the hubs. It got spun around again so Ill have to be taking the whole thing off, do a full cleaning of it and then re-grease and put a totally new boot on. I am HOPING/PRAYING/WISHING that doing so will fix it and it will go away. If not... IDK :( when it popped off the second time I was going through some shallow puddles (but enough to submerge it) and the squeaks it was making was frightening! Off to source the part.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Well here is how it sat after the lift
000001.jpg

Then I removed all the rear stuff to begin my bumper tire carrier combo
000002.jpg

After painting what was left I noticed the exhaust hung super low, im holding off the new custom exhaust until the bumper is finished so I went and built a little cheap-o curve from AutoZone.
000004.jpg
000003.jpg
There is a lot of dirt on everything but the pipe but here is how it looks
000005.jpg

Allof75

Pathfinder
Wow! Great pictures, and sweet mods- what more could you ask for? :sombrero: Very cool to see what a stock-height pathy will do with some armor, especially since Engineer Pass is so legendary. Amazing rigs. Anyway, what're your plans for the rear bumper?

Also, where'd you score the 5165s?

Last edited:

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Wow! Great pictures, and sweet mods- what more could you ask for? :sombrero: Very cool to see what a stock-height pathy will do with some armor, especially since Engineer Pass is so legendary. Amazing rigs. Anyway, what're your plans for the rear bumper?

Also, where'd you score the 5165s?

I could ask for better food but the Army is working on that need hahaha but thanks! yeah those skid plates are just great! the rear bumper will follow most of the design fundamentals from Xplorx4's Calmini R50. However some of the angles will be different on the flares and im working on making the bottom of the bumper smooth enough so if it does hit anything it wont cause so much stress on the metal. As for the 5165's that was shockwarehouse.
As a side note to whomever is interested, I have a pair of never been used Bilstein 5150 shocks. 10" Travel 255/70 Valving. PM me if interested. $90 Bucks for the PAIR.

Anyways I hope I can get this bumper done before the snow.. It already gets weird looks with the small tires and no bumper.. All the snow clods getting thrown would not help. haha
Stay Cozy!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Where at in Wyoming are you? I'm up in Billings, so not too far from the border!

Love the rig, by the way. Always liked R50's, and yours is done really well.

Cheers :safari-rig:

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Where at in Wyoming are you? I'm up in Billings, so not too far from the border!

Love the rig, by the way. Always liked R50's, and yours is done really well.

Cheers :safari-rig:

I'm in the southeastern corner of the state. Mainly Cheyenne and Laramie but I spend my free time time up in the Snowy mountains which are closer to the center of the state.
Hey I've been to Billings! ha-ha I went to Glacier Lake and took the Heli tours up there. That was fun. I plan to go to the surrounding states more as my school has me occupied less and less.
You'll have to let me know about some good trails up in Montana.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Would you happen to know the exact dimensions of your shocks- length, travel, diameter etc? I have the 4600s but could use extra dampening and if it's essentially a bolt on it sounds great :)

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Would you happen to know the exact dimensions of your shocks- length, travel, diameter etc? I have the 4600s but could use extra dampening and if it's essentially a bolt on it sounds great :)

Internal Design:Monotube

Adjustable:No

Gas Charged:Yes

Extended Length (in):24.400 in.

Collapsed Length (in):14.600 in.

Bushing Material:Rubber

Bushing Color:Black

Boot Included:No

Upper Mount:Eyelet

Lower Mount:Eyelet

Quantity:Sold individually.

Notes:255/70 valving. 5/8 in. hourglass bushings.

In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.

Bilstein 5165 Series shocks offer a universal fit, with the benefits of a remote reservoir. Your custom-lifted truck or SUV will gain an increase of shock oil capacity for greater heat dissipation and damping sensitivity. The 5165 shocks are a monotube design featuring a zinc finish with Bilstein's unique, multi-layer coating for extreme protection. Plus, their design allows for increased wheel travel and more shaft movement by locating the "floating" dividing piston in the reservoir.

Other features of Bilstein 5165 shocks include:

* Special swivel banjo fittings on the reservoir hose allow for 360 degree rotation

That was for the ones I have now, did you mean the ones I have for sale?
Here is for the ones I have for sale

Utilizing the knowledge gained from winning more off-road races than any other major shock manufacturer, Bilstein introduces the 5150 Series. These are the first production monotube, high gas pressure, fixed crossflow reservoir shock absorbers specifically designed for lifted and custom applications.

Features include:

* Race-inspired fixed crossflow reservoir expands oil capacity for enhanced cooling and allows increased rod travel
* Adjustable shock mount allows unlimited reservoir positioning
* Advanced-design split valving
* High-pressure nitrogen gas and floating dividing piston eliminate the possibility of oil foaming and performance loss from shock fade
* Huge 46mm working piston and self-adjusting deflective disc valving instantly react and adjust to any surface changes, for maximum vehicle body motion control and superior performance
* Maintenance-free design
* Valving for single or multiple shock applications
* Platinum powdercoated finish
* Available in 6.5 in. to 14 in. travel
* Oversized collar allows for use of universal shock boots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy