2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
If I were you I'd check out the NPORA forum for routine maintenance questions. those guys have been a great help to me. I mounted my auxiliary lights the same way. they've already saved me from 1 deer.

Ah yes I always forget that site. Thanks! Oh and see I think <$200 for lights is better than 700+ for a new front end! Most definitely.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Well this next update wasn't something I really wanted to do. Its not something that is necessary for where I live and im sure when it snows this will only become a problem...but my gf uses google images for expedition vehicles and sees the blacked out hoods. She thought that looks kickass. So two days ago She went out and bought about 3 cans of plasti-dip and a roll of good painters tape. She said she would cook something special if I did this.. (chicken fajitas or stuffed peppers mmmm) I said okay sure. Its plasti-dip so If I don't like it I can peel it off with some effort. So after a thousand pieces of tape (makes the edges more curved the more you use and along the flat sides if you build up a noticeable edge of tape the plasti-dip will make a nice clean rip) and lots of patience for drying (Im talking propane heater and hair dryer working on it because its about 33 degrees here) it was finished. Our pathfinders have a raised secion on our hood that is shaped like "\ /" if the vehicle is pointed towards bottom of screen. But there is another shape inside the raised portion that made a perfect shape to make black. Well tell me what you think. Oh and you can see the new rigid's.

pathyblackhood.jpg

I cant say im sold on it yet because as it is still curing slowly due to the cold weather it is slightly lighter than the other blacks. Oh and Im thinking of putting a bug visor back on the hood so the front edge of plasti-dip is not hit with so much wind force while on highway.

In slightly other news CBI Offroad Fab is going to build my rear bumper late January (22). So im pretty stoked for that. My metal supplier in my town has strangely vanished so off to a shop it was and I have heard nothing but great things from them. Nathan over at CBI seems to be a good guy who is excited to start on it. Armorology was an option until they gave me prices haha.. CBI is noticeably less. Im excited.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looks good my plastidip brother! I was thinking of the exact same thing in fact. How do you like the yellow Rigids?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
It looks really well done, great job. I'd keep it for now and as you say If you really don't like it you can peel it off (after you get your fajitas of course)

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Looks good my plastidip brother! I was thinking of the exact same thing in fact. How do you like the yellow Rigids?

It is noticeably different going from the white to adding the yellow covers. With winter and snow already here then the yellow cuts through the snow pretty well. The covers also protect the light really well from rocks and such. During the summer I will be leaving the covers off because the light output with just the white lights is absolutely incredible. I am really happy with them but I may look for a screen to put in front of them. If you haven't got snow or fog to worry about then they can be used to match your factory fogs that you have yellow!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
It looks really well done, great job. I'd keep it for now and as you say If you really don't like it you can peel it off (after you get your fajitas of course)

MMMM they were good!!! haha but yeah I ordered an AVS bugflector to hopefully protect the front edge from getting pulled up by the wind. Until it gets warm enough for the plasti-dip to set correctly (which probably wont happen again for another 4-5 months. So I have set it under some space heaters to hopefully induce full drying.

stioc

Expedition Leader
As others have said the hood black-out looks pretty good but I wanna see pics of the awesome gf! A gf that digs up pics of other expedition trucks, then goes to the store to buy stuff AND then makes you dinner while you install the said stuff...you'd better put a ring on her finger soon.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
As others have said the hood black-out looks pretty good but I wanna see pics of the awesome gf! A gf that digs up pics of other expedition trucks, then goes to the store to buy stuff AND then makes you dinner while you install the said stuff...you'd better put a ring on her finger soon.

Haha she has a promise ring... that counts right? haha itll be two years come January. and we were pretty close friends for about 3 years before we started dating. she grew up in Germany and Japan due to military mom so she never really got to go camping and hiking much. Im changing that slowly and she is loving it so far!
steph2.jpg
This was taken while we did the week long trip to Durango and the surrounding cities. For all those debating going down there... DO IT!! coolest 4WD only trails that I had ever seen.

Allof75

Pathfinder
It is noticeably different going from the white to adding the yellow covers. With winter and snow already here then the yellow cuts through the snow pretty well. The covers also protect the light really well from rocks and such. During the summer I will be leaving the covers off because the light output with just the white lights is absolutely incredible. I am really happy with them but I may look for a screen to put in front of them. If you haven't got snow or fog to worry about then they can be used to match your factory fogs that you have yellow!

Very interesting, not much snow to worry about, but rocks, yes. I'm thinking of the clear covers, since it's cheap insurance.

And quite the find with your girlfriend, wish you two the best! :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Haha congrats man! She's a pretty young lady and sounds like a keeper for sure :) I too consider myself lucky to have a nice gf that doesn't mind going camping, offroading or even spotting me. On my Moab trip she did a great job spotting me in a pretty rough area and said she actually enjoyed it :)

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
^^^^listen to this guy. I can get my gf out in the woods but she just does not get cars or trucks, let alone why we mod them. Now you just need some lights up high on the rack, the truck looks good.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Haha congrats man! She's a pretty young lady and sounds like a keeper for sure :) I too consider myself lucky to have a nice gf that doesn't mind going camping, offroading or even spotting me. On my Moab trip she did a great job spotting me in a pretty rough area and said she actually enjoyed it :)

Allof75 thank you :)

Stioc, thanks.. mine doesn't really get the spotting thing... she understands keep body damage to a minimum and that's kinda it (I guess not a bad thing) but fortunately now when we hike she is always like 'okay so if you are driving this where would you want your front wheels?... I don't have to spot the back wheels do I?' haha so as time moves along she will get better. Sounds like you got a keeper too! doing this with friends or family makes it all worth it.

Last edited:

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
^^^^listen to this guy. I can get my gf out in the woods but she just does not get cars or trucks, let alone why we mod them. Now you just need some lights up high on the rack, the truck looks good.

haha oh yeah when I first started she wasn't sure why I was spending money on so much black metal (skids, sliders and roof rack) once I showed her ExPo she cruises it a lot and gets all excited. That might be because she is looking to buy a new Taco though..not sure :)

as long as you and the gf can be doing something together it counts.. other things might fall into place. as for the lights...haha no. I have never been a fan of lights way up top. at least not the bunny ear style. the Jeep KJ and Xterras that had lights ingressed into the roof faring looked good but that's about it for me.

Allof75

Pathfinder
...haha no. I have never been a fan of lights way up top. at least not the bunny ear style. the Jeep KJ and Xterras that had lights ingressed into the roof faring looked good but that's about it for me.

Finally! Someone who agrees! I think it looks dorky on pretty much everything but camel trophy trucks and the other kind of trophy truck haha Especially the big round ones. An LED light bar is more passable, but integration is usually not clean enough for my liking.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Finally! Someone who agrees! I think it looks dorky on pretty much everything but camel trophy trucks and the other kind of trophy truck haha Especially the big round ones. An LED light bar is more passable, but integration is usually not clean enough for my liking.

Hey now!!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy