2001 Tacoma Keyless Remote Range (Top Gear Trick)

Zam15

Explorer
Well seeing that at best I get 4 feet out of mine ill give this a try. :smilies27: But I was hopeful that it was some kind of mod I could do. :confused:

4xdog

Explorer
I'm with ya on that one -- I'd have loved a mod, too. I'm also at about the four foot range normally. I've tried the longer wire mod, but that had zero effect. I've considered upgrading to one of the newer VIP systems, but that seems like a lot of trouble for a system that mostly works fine, and I've learned the hard way not to mess with stuff that works.

The Top Gear trick of holding the keyless entry fob against my temple as I actuate it works amazingly well on my Tacoma. Less so in rain, and a bit variable depending on angle from the truck, but it's probably become my preferred way of unlocking the vehicle.

I'm sure I look goofy holding the remote up against my head as I unlock the Tacoma, but that's probably the least of my worries!

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I can see how the skull could act as a parabolic reflector, but seems to me if you did this all the time you'd be risking a brain tumor or something.

dustboy

Explorer
but seems to me if you did this all the time you'd be risking a brain tumor or something.

no more so than my cell phone, right? I've been using my alarm fob against my chin for a long time, it is very effective. Hmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy