2001 Toyota Tacoma/ Adventure Vehicle

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Maybe some thin pieces of UHMWPE? (Plastic cutting board material, essentially) it's pretty dang strong and you could get it fairly thin so you don't have the body lift effect. Not sure about the bolts. Use the same plastic for washers and use never seize on the bolt body and threads? (Good idea to use on bed bolts anyway). I'll be interested to see what the company says about this.

Cool truck and cool utility bed. Can't wait to see it all together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjohnson1

Okay so a little update. Just to finally get an idea to how the truck would look with the new bed I put it on the truck with blocks. In the picture it is sitting 6-8 inches higher then it will when it is bolted on. As you can see the fender will be an issue. I knew it would be a problem but I still got the bed because the storage box is well before the tire. I will just cut off the fender and weld on a new sheet of aluminum and cut out the wheel.

Also I am trying to determine if I should insulate underneath the body before I mount it to the truck. I am not sure how much it will help because the aluminum will still conduct the cold inside. any thoughts? Also I am not sure which option to go for. I was thinking 1 inch board insulation with a plastic covering over it. Would spray foam be better? Attached is a picture of under the body to show what I am dealing with.

Well I have to figure out how to upload pictures so I will upload them later... I have to go to class

Revco

Adventurer
Cut some rubber sheet into squares to use as insulators for the service body. You can usually find pieces of rubber at most hardware stores, or use a mudflap. Stainless steel bolts, or nickel/copper anti-seize will keep the corrosion to a minimum.

I have a 2001 reg cab Tacoma as well. After owning it for a few years, the only issue I have with it is that I wish I would have bought an extended cab or double cab. The single cab is really small and being 6'1" doesn't help. Here's mine...

image.jpg

Last edited:

mjohnson1

Cut some rubber sheet into squares to use as insulators for the service body. You can usually find pieces of rubber at most hardware stores, or use a mudflap. Stainless steel bolts, or nickel/copper anti-seize will keep the corrosion to a minimum.

I have a 2001 reg cab Tacoma as well. After owning it for a few years, the only issue I have with it is that I wish I would have bought an extended cab or double cab. The single cab is really small and being 6'1" doesn't help. Here's mine...

View attachment 316518

Sweet truck! I know what you mean, I am 6'2" and it will definitely be very tight for the long trips. I would have gone with the extended cab, but this seems like the best deal at the time.

Another "economical" solution might be strips of a horse stall mat.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Horse mats are a great idea! I will have to see if I can find the R value somewhere.

mjohnson1

Just a little update,
Last weekend I was able to get the body mounted on the truck. I should have taken more pictures, but we pretty much welded an aluminum box to the bottom of the bed and then bolted that to the truck. I used inch foam insulation and spray adhesive to insulate the bottom and spray insulation to get all the cracks. Next weekend I am hoping to build the roof rack. Its exciting to see it all come together. I also included pictures of the inside, which will be fully insulated and then finished off with boards.
IMG_7744.jpgIMG_7745.jpgIMG_7751.jpgIMG_7752.jpgIMG_7753.jpg

bkg

Explorer
This is going to be a great build. Throw that axle back 5" and you're in business...

mjohnson1

I just finished my finals so I have been able to make a lot of progress on the truck. The interior is pretty much ready to be framed, wired and finished. I cut out a lot of stuff that I did not need and its given me a lot more room inside. I also built the roof rack and will be building the solar panel rack tomorrow. The fenders will also be put on and cut tomorrow. Here are some pics from today.
IMG_0089.jpgIMG_0094.jpgIMG_0096.jpgIMG_0091.jpgIMG_0092.jpgIMG_0093.jpg

mjohnson1

I need a box like that!! Is it steel or aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is aluminum.

Little more progress today, the solar panel is mounted. I wanted it to help with aerodynamics a little, but I think i will try to cover it while I am driving to protect it from rocks, ect. The fenders are also ready to be welded.
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0099.jpg

toyotech

Expedition Leader
That is awesome. I'm gonna have to see about finding a used one. Are you gonna paint it? It's gonna look much better painted !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JediJesus

Dang that is awesome!!!

Any idea on how much weight you'll have added to the whole thing when you're done? What springs/shocks are you gonna run if not stock?

Rhinolining or some other poly/urethane coating on the underside will help with the corrosion resistance and add a little insulation for the temp. You can find interior sound deadening mats too if you plan on putting anything carpet/interior wise on the inside. Super easy to install with a heat gun and some patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven