2001 Toyota Tacoma/ Adventure Vehicle

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Looks great! I wasn't sure how the fender would look with you moving it that far forward but it looks awesome. Great job on the solar panel rack as well.

If you feel like heading north at all to ski, I'm in Jackson... And it hasn't stopped snowing so far.

mjohnson1

That is awesome. I'm gonna have to see about finding a used one. Are you gonna paint it? It's gonna look much better painted !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would love to paint it, it would give it a much cleaner, more finished look. My only issue is the cost, which I figure would be at least $500. If I can work somewhere out west on my trip and can make the money I will probably get it painted.

mjohnson1

Dang that is awesome!!!

Any idea on how much weight you'll have added to the whole thing when you're done? What springs/shocks are you gonna run if not stock?

Rhinolining or some other poly/urethane coating on the underside will help with the corrosion resistance and add a little insulation for the temp. You can find interior sound deadening mats too if you plan on putting anything carpet/interior wise on the inside. Super easy to install with a heat gun and some patience.

My goal is to keep it under 1000 pounds. To be honest I am not really sure what I am at. I could lift up half of the body before it was bolted so I think its around 400-500. I am keeping the original leaf springs and shocks, but I will be using a Timbren suspension kit which I was told will work really well. I am planning on framing out the whole interior and using 1 inch foam board for insulation and then quarter inch cedar paneling. I do have some extra bed liner that I used on the front fenders that I may use to line the side compartments. I will have to check out those sound deadening mats.

mjohnson1

Looks great! I wasn't sure how the fender would look with you moving it that far forward but it looks awesome. Great job on the solar panel rack as well.

If you feel like heading north at all to ski, I'm in Jackson... And it hasn't stopped snowing so far.

Thank you! I wasn't sure how it would look either. I was about to move the axel but then decided to give the fender method a try. I actually am planning on heading to Jackson Hole in March, I will let you know. I can't wait for all the snow!

bkg

Explorer
I'd consider boxing the frame before final mount.... Cheap insurance. Looking really good. Great idea and execution.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I would love to paint it, it would give it a much cleaner, more finished look. My only issue is the cost, which I figure would be at least $500. If I can work somewhere out west on my trip and can make the money I will probably get it painted.

If you haven't done much in the interior. I would see how getting it powder coated. Might be less than $500.

I rattle can my topper. Dark gray and you really can't tell once it gets some wear. It all blends it. Yours is much bigger so it probably be $100 in paint.

Another option would be rolling the paint on. Heard this works surprising well. Should look it to this option !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBeck

Adventurer
This is awesome! I'm also a regular cab Tacoma owner. However, being only 5'10" and driving road cars for a few years, I'm used to sitting close to the steering wheel and my height is average haha

mjohnson1

A little update.... My brothers were home for the holidays and offered to help me paint!
I ended up using roll on berliner and a couple cans. I chose berliner because there isn't much prep work and the finish is a little harder to mess up.
I have been working on the tail lights and then will move to my grandfathers shop to do the woodwork.
IMG_7813.jpg
IMG_7814-1.jpg
IMG_7815.jpg
IMG_7816.jpg

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Cool build so far man! Any reason you left the front of the bed white?

Looks like the back end is sagging a little bit. I can tell you form experience, these Taco leaf springs are weak. Planning on beefing them up?

mjohnson1

Wow. The paint makes it look more fitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool build so far man! Any reason you left the front of the bed white?

Looks like the back end is sagging a little bit. I can tell you form experience, these Taco leaf springs are weak. Planning on beefing them up?

The front of the bed was left white simply because I only had limited time in the heated shop and if I were to take it off and the rack I wouldn't have been able to get enough coats on the body. If I had known that I would be able to use the shop before and that my brothers were willing to help I would have left it off and painted the whole thing. Its crunch time now, I want to leave on January 10th and haven't touched the interior.

mjohnson1

Does anyone have any propane experience? I am trying to hook up my propane boat stove. I have no idea what an 11" W/C low pressure regulator is or where I can get one. Its called a cozy cabin heater by Sig Marine

mjohnson1

I started the interior last night and have been making some good progress. I framed everything with actual 1 x 1.5, so the 1 inch foam board fits perfectly. I wanted to finish it all in 1/4 inch cedar plywood, but that is not available so I think I will just use birch or whatever else that looks decent. Here are some pictures:
IMG_7835.jpg
IMG_7838.jpg
IMG_7839.jpg
IMG_7836.jpg
IMG_7837.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven