2002 - 2004 Tacoma Questions...

Cackalak Han

Explorer
jgolden said:
Thanks for the measurement. If you were to subtract the mirriors would it be about 70"?

Thanks for your help, I'm trying to see if it'll fit in a friends enclosed trailer.

james

Did you get an answer to this yet? If not, I will measure when I get home today. But I'm guessing your estimate is probably right.

BPMOU said:
I dont want to hijack this thread, but found it while searching for DC MPG. Can someone tell me how this mpg compares to the 2005 and up Taco? I sold my 80 Series in Sept as my wife and I welcomed our first child. Without a truck or SUV to haul or dogs around the summer has been boring so far. I am really considering a 02-04 DC Taco 4x4 with a cap. It seems that the 02-04 are 4-6K cheaper than a newer taco. any thoughts? I would use it for trips to hills and to the resviour with three labs. I like the idea of the nasty wet dogs seperate from the family. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

The MPG is the same on 01-04 vs. 05+. The 4.0L V6 is a great engine. Much more power than the 3.4L, has a timing chain, and oil changes are a snap (see oil filter location). Given the choice between the two, the 05+ will be more comfortable (it's bigger) and will be able to haul or tow better. If you're not going to be hauling or towing a lot and the space issue isn't a big deal to you, the 01-04 DC Tacoma's are awesome and you will have $$$ saved for mods, gear, or......probably just gas :)(). I have enjoyed mine thus far. And FYI, I have *heard* that the back seats in either models aren't too baby seat friendly.

BTW, I had a 4Runner that I sold for my 01 DC Tacoma. I also wanted my wet/muddy clothes and boots in a truck bed instead of trashing the nice interior of my SUV (not to mention the smell). When I get a dog, he will also be in the bed.

Digger Dave

Here's my $0.02.

I drive '02 DC 2.7l 2wd and get the same mileage as the 3.4l 4wd.

So if someone tries to tell you that 4 cyl DC gets better mileage, don't believe it.

They are great trucks though. You wouldn't go wrong buying one.

BPMOU

Observer
Cackalak Han said:
Did you get an answer to this yet? If not, I will measure when I get home today. But I'm guessing your estimate is probably right.

The MPG is the same on 01-04 vs. 05+. The 4.0L V6 is a great engine. Much more power than the 3.4L, has a timing chain, and oil changes are a snap (see oil filter location). Given the choice between the two, the 05+ will be more comfortable (it's bigger) and will be able to haul or tow better. If you're not going to be hauling or towing a lot and the space issue isn't a big deal to you, the 01-04 DC Tacoma's are awesome and you will have $$$ saved for mods, gear, or......probably just gas :)(). I have enjoyed mine thus far. And FYI, I have *heard* that the back seats in either models aren't too baby seat friendly.

BTW, I had a 4Runner that I sold for my 01 DC Tacoma. I also wanted my wet/muddy clothes and boots in a truck bed instead of trashing the nice interior of my SUV (not to mention the smell). When I get a dog, he will also be in the bed.

My main concern is reliability. I don't need to drive it all that often as my 91 corolla gets the DD duties. What I do want is something that I can drive long distances and not have to do a ton of PM to get up and running and feeling comfy about heading up to the mountains with wife and baby. I was thinking that with the diffrence in price, I could add the little things, plus pay it off quicker. My wife is not a camping fan, so I don't really worry about towing anything like a trailer etc. Everything else shoule be able to be accomodated by a Rocket Box and rack. In the 80, our usual trips were destination based and then staying at a B&B (my wifes style) and running trails around the area and coming back in town for dinner. My daughter will be in a convertible seat soon, so not worried about the baby seat thing, just trying to avoid buying a full size as many of the CO trails are not big enough for larger vehicles. Any more thoughts? This vehicle would be an adventure vehicle in the sense that it would be used for dog park trips and mountain foreys. Any other thoughts??

Cackalak Han

Explorer
BPMOU said:
My main concern is reliability. I don't need to drive it all that often as my 91 corolla gets the DD duties. What I do want is something that I can drive long distances and not have to do a ton of PM to get up and running and feeling comfy about heading up to the mountains with wife and baby. I was thinking that with the diffrence in price, I could add the little things, plus pay it off quicker. My wife is not a camping fan, so I don't really worry about towing anything like a trailer etc. Everything else shoule be able to be accomodated by a Rocket Box and rack. In the 80, our usual trips were destination based and then staying at a B&B (my wifes style) and running trails around the area and coming back in town for dinner. My daughter will be in a convertible seat soon, so not worried about the baby seat thing, just trying to avoid buying a full size as many of the CO trails are not big enough for larger vehicles. Any more thoughts? This vehicle would be an adventure vehicle in the sense that it would be used for dog park trips and mountain foreys. Any other thoughts??

3.4L is an AWESOME engine (Just a little bit underpowered, IMO). A guy who works for an insurance company mentioned that he sees 3.4L'ed 4Runners and Tacomas coming in with 500k, 600k, and even some that have clicked over the 1,000k mile mark. The three 3.4L's I have owned has NEVER left me stranded (and one was supercharged). You will need to do some PM, but they're not as extensive as your 80.

From what you're describing, I'd vote for the 01-04 DC. I bought my 01, because of the awesome price (thanks again to Redline :D), reliability and capability of these trucks. It's also got a J-shift lever, which I like much more than the push-button ones I've had. And of course, the rear locker.

Your main concern now will be trying to find one. They're not *that* hard to come by, but they do get snatched up quick and go for a premium price most of the time. You will need to look in the autotrader, craigslist, etc. every day in order to find what you're looking for. Good luck with the hunt.

bobmuley

For all driving over the last 6,257 miles I've averaged 18.22 mpg in an '03 DC.

My wife's '01 Runner has averaged a tick more at 18.3 mpgs for the last 4k+ miles...and is about the same as the 130K before that.

Both running the 3.4L V6.

The only thing I've done to either is lube, oil, and filters and changed the timing belts at 100K...even though they didn't look like they needed it.

Cackalak Han said:
...3.4L is an AWESOME engine (Just a little bit underpowered, IMO)...
Going from an '84 Toy with a 2.4 and 33's made my 3.4 feel like a top fuel dragster. ;) Same thing drove me to the new truck as BPMOU...no matter what modifications I did to the old Toy, it would never be a family truck.

BPMOU

Observer
Well I looked at a 2004 with 36K on it but man did they want a premium for it. They were looking to get 22,000, which is way more than I wanted to spend. I am starting to look for a 02-04 DC Tacoma, but as mentioned before, they hold their value. Will be headed down to Dallas in Aug, so will look there too.

bobmuley

With my wife's '01 runner it wasn't too tight, but not exactly spacious either.

Now that we're in car/booster seats in her runner and my DC (measured out to be the same dimensions for the back seats) there is plenty of room for my kids. We have four booster seats so it makes them a fairly permanent structure in the back. The "over-the-seat" strap is a bit of a challenge in both vehicles for removing or adding car seats.

I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'2", so the seats aren't too far back either.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
FWIW I put a booster seat for a 5 yo into the back of my X-cab Taco and although it was a bit tight it wasn't bad. I'm sure the DC is fine for any kind of child seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy