2002 - 2004 Tacoma Questions...

jgolden

Adventurer
I thinking about buying one of these and I have a couple questions for "real life" owners...
1. What is the true mpg of the 4x4, doublecab, V6, auto?
2. What is the exterior width of the vehicle? Online it states 70.3", does that include rearview mirriors? If so, what is the exterior width door to door, not including the rearview mirriors?

Thanks in advance

James

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
James, on an absolutely perfect trip I can get upwards of 19 mpg with my 2004 V6 DC 4x4 Auto. For the most part though 17 is my usual average. I'm running 265/75/16 with the stock gearing and running my AC most of the time. Not as light on the right pedal as I should be. Emergency/Earthquake kit and other stuff in cab weighs in at 120 lbs. I'd guess. Not sure on the width. Too late to be out front rattling the tape measure around. Will try to get a width for you later. Hope this is helpful.
BTW I love my truck

woodeye

Observer
02 xtra cab

02 extra cab, 3.4, 5spd completely stock w/ custom cap. I get 18 to 20 mpg's
mixed driving (80% city)
Woody

DenCo40

Adventurer
I get the same as McTaco. I never once got more than 19. Even bone stock. My average is about 17-18.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
With 255/85's, bumpers, winch, suspension, protection and a spare tire on the roof I find that it really depends on speed. If I do 75, I average 14 - 15. At 55 - 65 I get around 17+. But I am overall a light throttle driver. Did great coming to NorCal today - it was all downhill :)

Bone stock, I did regular trips where I was 22 MPG plus. (and yes that is converted to USA MPG).

So from my experience there is no single number for Tacomas. It's all very driver and mod dependent.

Pete

dirtballer

i have a 2004 double cab 4 x 4 with the trd v6 package and performed for the past 4 years at about 17 MPG's. I drive long highway miles and to logging trails and decided i needed more protection and a better suspension so i installed an arb bumper which is so heavy i have to install coil overs in front to level the ride but keeping the IFS and deciding what to do with the rear - The weight of the ARB will for sure effect my mileage but anybody have an idea of how much? I noticed on the expedition west 2004 tacoma that in some photos it has the ARB bumper and in other photos it doesn't and looks like in most of the action shots it's not there. Were those photos taken before the ARB install or removed after testing the ARB on the trail after a few runs? How do the coil overs effect your mileage?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
my 2 cents

I have the 02 TRD DC and am pretty heavy, HEAVY rear cap, loaded with daily used gear.

Last week on a 7 hour all hiway trip I averaged 22 mpg. BUT that was at 68mph. You get passed a lot at 68mph for 7 hours, but I was curious. Otherwise I average 17.5 in mixed driving.

I too am curious about the effect of a small lift and front bumber on mileage...

Jay

dirtballer

Seems like your rig is all stock? You're hauling gear to the trail head and then jumping on the mountain bike - that's a cool way to save gas. i should trade my ARB bumper for a Kona hard tail. . .LOL anyway guess time will tell with the heavy bumper as i'm back on the road in few days but if your driving around and see an ARB bumper on the side of the road you'll know how seriously it compromised my MPG

woodeye

Observer
kona

dirtballer, I got a Kona Stuff that is 1/2 build up I might trade nah always
have to have a hard tail in the coral. Besides I have no need for a heavy bumper
and I live on the east coast.

Woody:coffeedrink:

dirtballer

good thinking woody - i'm in the east coast now if you want to trade a bumper for a bike i might be down - the bumper is in excellent brand new condition so let me know - i'll even drive it to you if we're close - i also got a set of pro comp rock crawlers 17 x 9 with a -6mm offset to trade if you need those too

jgolden

Adventurer
Thanks for all your input everyone. It seems a slightly modified DC, Tacoma should get about 17 mpg average.

What about the width of the truck (not including the rearview mirriors)

Thanks

James

Cackalak Han

Explorer
1. 100% stock, 2001 DC V6 4x4. Averaged 22.5MPG on the trip this past weekend. That was with climbing some MUDDY hills, too, in 4WD.

2. Don't have the truck with me today, but when I get home, I'll get a measurement.

jgolden

Adventurer
Thanks for the measurement. If you were to subtract the mirriors would it be about 70"?

Thanks for your help, I'm trying to see if it'll fit in a friends enclosed trailer.

james

BPMOU

Observer
I dont want to hijack this thread, but found it while searching for DC MPG. Can someone tell me how this mpg compares to the 2005 and up Taco? I sold my 80 Series in Sept as my wife and I welcomed our first child. Without a truck or SUV to haul or dogs around the summer has been boring so far. I am really considering a 02-04 DC Taco 4x4 with a cap. It seems that the 02-04 are 4-6K cheaper than a newer taco. any thoughts? I would use it for trips to hills and to the resviour with three labs. I like the idea of the nasty wet dogs seperate from the family. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy