2003 GMC Sierra "Overlander" Build

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I love ARB bumpers! I have that same one on one of my Silverado HD trucks. It almost looks like you have a HD truck bumper (or at least brackets) on a LD truck. Kinda sticks up far compared to mine even considering the shorter hood of the GMC’s.

5305412692_f42ac356c7_b.jpg

5305413442_25e01e273c_b.jpg

BTW……This bumper is for sale but it only comes with the truck attached. See the For Sale section for details.

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
Just got a response from ARB about the issue with the bumper blocking the headlights. ARB doesn't make a bumper for the 1/2 ton GMC trucks like mine, they instead sell the one made for the GMC 3/4 ton trucks with different brackets. The difference is only how the grills are made on the trucks, on mine the ARB bumper has to ride higher to match the grill's contour, on a 3/4 ton it sits lower because it's actually made for that front end. I believe Larry's bumper pictured above is the exact same part number I have.

I have to say I've lost a lot of respect and faith in ARB because they are intentionally selling a bumper they know will not fit correctly and cause possible hazards. I'll be looking at other brands before I buy anything made by ARB again.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Very nice truck, Larry! Too bad its not EC or CC or I would be interested in buying soon.

Yeah, everybody thinks they need more cab space but in reality they need less cab space and more room in the bed for neat things like a pop-up Phoenix camper, etc. Extended cabs and crew cabs with little tiny beds and living spaces are overated!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Yeah, everybody thinks they need more cab space but in reality they need less cab space and more room in the bed for neat things like a pop-up Phoenix camper, etc. Extended cabs and crew cabs with little tiny beds and living spaces are overated!

I agree Larry. It would be cool to punch a hole through the cab and into the camper for easy access...:)

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'm not going to lie, I think that bumper is ugly. I'd have a grinder out cutting the monkey bars off of the top of it for sure.

RU55ELL

Explorer
Just got a response from ARB about the issue with the bumper blocking the headlights. ARB doesn't make a bumper for the 1/2 ton GMC trucks like mine, they instead sell the one made for the GMC 3/4 ton trucks with different brackets. The difference is only how the grills are made on the trucks, on mine the ARB bumper has to ride higher to match the grill's contour, on a 3/4 ton it sits lower because it's actually made for that front end. I believe Larry's bumper pictured above is the exact same part number I have.

I have to say I've lost a lot of respect and faith in ARB because they are intentionally selling a bumper they know will not fit correctly and cause possible hazards. I'll be looking at other brands before I buy anything made by ARB again.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with ARB. I agree, it's not good business practice.

I doubt I could fit a wife and three kids in it. :sombrero:

WickedZJ

Adventurer
That sucks that ARB is selling bumpers like that. I was thinking about getting on for my Tahoe but now I think I am going to have to go a different route. It's just too bad they felt they had to sell them that way. I hope you can get it worked out. Your truck is lookin good though.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
???

The bumper is not taller than the hood. Take another look.

Apparently Russell, I am not the only one who thinks so.

I love ARB bumpers! I have that same one on one of my Silverado HD trucks. It almost looks like you have a HD truck bumper (or at least brackets) on a LD truck. Kinda sticks up far compared to mine even considering the shorter hood of the GMC's.

Last edited:

RU55ELL

Explorer
Maybe I misunderstood the wording. The bumper does not stand taller than the top of the hood. It does stand taller than the front edge. But let's not muddle up a good thread with a disagreement about wording. Carry on.

rotti

Adventurer
Barnold,

Will be following your build closely as I am a fan of GM trucks and yes the IFS front end. By the way on my 2001 Tahoe I can get over 20 MPG on the highway when driven in a conservative manner. I'm curious as to how much weight that bumper and winch combo adds? Looks very heavy but is protective.

Also no shell or camper on the back for camping and or stealth camping? I will be following in your foot steps but I'm leaning toward a 2012 GM 3500 CCSB with a FWC Hawk pop up. Once again love your vehicle choice and keep us updated.

johnlogan

If you want to build a custom bumper, it is actually pretty easy on these trucks. Mine is a Chevy 1500HD for reference. I added a little bracing to the end of the frame, and I took a section out of the grill. I 36" wide jeep winch plate bolts right on top of the frame rails, and you just build from there.

Attachments

• DSCN3442.JPG
    DSCN3442.JPG
    571.8 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN3404.JPG
    DSCN3404.JPG
    527.4 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN3393.JPG
    DSCN3393.JPG
    454.2 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN3321.JPG
    DSCN3321.JPG
    498.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN3343.JPG
    DSCN3343.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN3329.JPG
    DSCN3329.JPG
    500.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN3409.JPG
    DSCN3409.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 126

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
Everyone is actually correct on the bumper issue, it does stick up higher that the front edge which makes it look strange but it is lower than the higher part of the hood. I think I'm going to drop the bumper about an inch or so to put the middle bar in-line with the grill's trim under the headlights. It may not look correct from the side but un-obstructing the headlights is my main concern. I can't tell you how many times I've already looked at the bumper and then again my grinder, torch, and welder but I've held off in hopes that I'll be able to sell this bumper to someone with a truck that it actually fits. :ylsmoke:

what size tires/wheels did you end up going with? how much lift/trimming do I need to do to fit 315/70's?

Mine are 305/70/16's. With the 315's you are going to need a true lift kit to be able to clear the tires. The 305's are just slightly under 33" while the 315's are almost 34" tall. With my truck fully flexed and the steering cut hard the tires are within 1/4" of rubbing. With the factory bumper I would have had to do some major trimming.

rotti said:
I'm curious as to how much weight that bumper and winch combo adds? Looks very heavy but is protective. Also no shell or camper on the back for camping and or stealth camping?

The bumper and winch are very heavy. On 3/4 or 1 ton trucks it would be fine but it's a little much for a 1/2 ton truck.

As for the camping I plan to use a RTT eventually but there was just no money in the budget for it right now so I'm suing a ground tent.

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
Rear Platform

Over the long Memorial Day weekend I had a chance to build the rear platform that resides where the rear seat was. The rear seats in these trucks just flip up and hang at a 45º angle making the area pretty much useless for anything large. After looking at what several other's had done I decided on a full back, floor, and eventually sides with slide out storage. I built everything out of 5/8" sanded plywood so it would be strong enough not to sag over time. I built a full back because I wanted to be able to mount gear to it easily and not have to drill tons of holes through the cab. I used the three factory child restraint mounting holes to attach the wood using longer M12 bolts and used angle brackets secured to the floor. The holes at the top ended up being a little larger than needed due to the angle the bolts thread into the cab so I'm going to add larger washers before it gets covered.

5782595409_a379effe05_z.jpg
5783150750_56121c135e_z.jpg

Using the same wood I built the platform and the front section to support it. To make it easy I built a template of the floor's contour out of cardboard and then transfered it to wood which made it fit perfectly.

5783151778_62a05245f8_z.jpg
5782598707_ecc565f684_z.jpg

5782600655_4dff8c86cf_z.jpg

Later this week I'll be covering the platform and back with carpet and at some point I plan to close the ends and built slide out storage on each side.

More to come!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven