2004 Xterra start off

Frankspinz

Adventurer
The suggestions made here are very good. Stick to the PML and perhaps a body lift. The suspention lift will change the driving dynamics of your truck and you might realize you don't like the new handling caracteristics... A suspention lift can add strain to the front end requiring more maintenance for you steering parts. Shackles have been suggested to raise the rear. Instead, you can add a suspention leaf to the rear pack. I went this way and like it ( I also removed the load leaf). As you will be adding gear and weight to the truck, the additional leaf will help with that. The leafs are prone to breakage. Even more so (some say) if you replace the shackles with longer ones...

Look at what others have done on Xterra Forums and prioritize your build.

My choices:
- AT tires prefered over MTs (IMO better on rocks, better on road, better in sand, so so in mud...)
- basic recovery gear
- skid plates
- rear diff locker with on board air (the lsd sucks)
- after that the sky's the limit ! Bumpers, winch, lights ...

Slicky72

Adventurer
There are lots of boards that say body lift is the best and cheapest way to lift an Xterra to clear larger tires. If you truly are going to offroad a lot it can cause added stress to the body causing fractures in the sheet metal . Yes I have seen it happen. I also agree with Frank on the shackle vs leaf option for the rear .I have a lift in my X and like Frank says it does change the driving characteristics quite a bit. If I was building for long term reliability and overall drivability , I would pml the truck and take the cash for a lift and buy an air locker. I cleared 32 inch tires without any lift and honestly that is plenty of tire for this truck. There is lots of great info on these terrific trucks out there so do your research and build to suit your needs . Good luck with the build and don't forget to do your timing belt when it is due .

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
There are lots of boards that say body lift is the best and cheapest way to lift an Xterra to clear larger tires. If you truly are going to offroad a lot it can cause added stress to the body causing fractures in the sheet metal . Yes I have seen it happen. I also agree with Frank on the shackle vs leaf option for the rear .I have a lift in my X and like Frank says it does change the driving characteristics quite a bit. If I was building for long term reliability and overall drivability , I would pml the truck and take the cash for a lift and buy an air locker. I cleared 32 inch tires without any lift and honestly that is plenty of tire for this truck. There is lots of great info on these terrific trucks out there so do your research and build to suit your needs . Good luck with the build and don't forget to do your timing belt when it is due .

The body NEVER sits on the frame from the factory.. So there is no more stress than having it stock... Your using hardware that is stronger than stock as well..

Slicky72

Adventurer
Longer bolts more leverage , seriously I had it happen to me on a Ranger pickup but not as bad as a friend who wheeled his X every weekend. Stress cracks in the rad support , inner fenders , fire wall...

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Longer bolts more leverage , seriously I had it happen to me on a Ranger pickup but not as bad as a friend who wheeled his X every weekend. Stress cracks in the rad support , inner fenders , fire wall...

Well for one.. your in Canada..Im guessing you see more rust issues vs Vegas. I have read of rust issues with the rad supportsbut this was from a Xterra in the northern US.
No more leverage vs stock.. if the bolts are grade 8 or more and properly tightened down your not dealing with any more vs stock.

Im not saying you are wrong.. but this would be the first I have read about in the 4 years I have been messing with these SUV's. ClubXterra, EOC, and Xterra NAtion

Slicky72

Adventurer
Ya rust may be a factor who knows but what I do know is I personally wouldn't install one and wouldn't recommend one. I should have taken some pictures I suppose to document it but if you do a little searching for problems with body lifts on the old interweb you will come across guys that will support my claims . I am not trying to pick a fight with you I respect you a great deal and you have been very helpful to a lot of people on here, I just wanted to add my thoughts on the topic.

merkossie

I'm new here so I thought I'd give my thoughts on 10 years of Xterra ownership. Bought it new in 03, atomic orange, 5
speed manual XE 4x4 now with 110,000 miles on it.
Great vehicle, I have no plans of selling it ,just continue with a few mods to make it even better.
Even stock I thought it's capabilities were outstanding. Very well built and easy to maintain. First were Bilstein shocks, then, the infamous PML
that I've never had an issue with as far as 'bad ' goes. Then, just because I liked the look, I went with Nismo 16" wheels and 265/75/16 tires. Right now I'm using BFG KO's and love them. Since we tow a Burro 17ft travel trailer at times for beach visits to Mexico, I found some really nice helper springs for the rear that in my opinion work better than just adding shackles to get the rear up a bit and add some stiffness. I used to take them off after coming home and parking the trailer, now I don't bother. Will be off to Death Valley for the 3rd year in the row for some exploring next week.
I really don't think radical mods are neccesary unless your more into class 6 road rock crawling. We've definitly been into some high pucker factor situations and yet never have we damaged anything underneath. It's all in what your into I guess.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Ya rust may be a factor who knows but what I do know is I personally wouldn't install one and wouldn't recommend one. I should have taken some pictures I suppose to document it but if you do a little searching for problems with body lifts on the old interweb you will come across guys that will support my claims . I am not trying to pick a fight with you I respect you a great deal and you have been very helpful to a lot of people on here, I just wanted to add my thoughts on the topic.

I respect your opinions.. All I can base mine is on the 2 I have done on my Gen 1s and the 7 others I have done for other people... Everything is subjective ;)

No fighting needed.. The OP will build a fine Xterra either way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues