2005 F150 Exploration Project Build ! HELP !

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Nice F150. I think a flip-pac would be a great place to start.
I change my mind on a regular basis, whether I want a flip-pac, pop-up camper, or small lightweight hard side camper. For now I have an A.R.E. cap and a bed rug, and I'm putting the camper on hold for a while. I have the 5.5' bed so sleeping back there means I have to sleep at a slight angle. It's not terrible, but less than ideal. Solo trips are fine but it is tight with two, sleeping at an angle and all.

So far I'm running Bilstein 5100 shocks, with the fronts set for 2" of lift, and a 3" rear block that replaced that factory 2" block. 35x12.50 KM2s, 4.56 gears, detroit locker in the rear and eaton e-locker in the front. It has been great so far.

If/when you step up to bigger tires, you will definitely want to re-gear, especially with that 4.6L.

As for the space under the bed, you could probably fit an aux batter in front of the tires, between the frame and the bedside.

A couple pictures of my F150...
http://rotor-heads.com/images/f150/trip/d2o.jpg
http://rotor-heads.com/images/f150/trip/d2m.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I think you will like the flippack

you can do a search for them by typing into google "flipack site:craigslist.org" then it will pull up all the craigslist listings for flipacks.

Also I would seriously look into this site for a while before you go and get too much more than the flippack. My reason: I think that you will find a few of your ideas may not be as nice or as practicle as you think they are when you think them up. Better to find that out from someone else rather than to spend the cash on it and then be stuck with it.

One of the things I would also recommend is that you work out a way to heat your water for your shower. Cold showers get old REALLY fast. Just my two bits

By the way, I am in the AF myself. Never been able to deploy, my AFSC (MOS) is not allowed to deploy even if I volunteer, sure wish I could go though!

Thanks for your service.

tom

Tom x2!

I would very much like to know what construction technique you used. That's a great job. If you can do it, i'm sure it would be a popular thread.

WV150 - I like the shower idea, I thought about using the same type setup. Except using one of those propane shower units you can get at cabela's.

rdraider,

I used 1 1/2 in. square tubing with 1/16 wall thickness. It's all fastened together with 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 angle 1/8 in. thick. Where there were wall and floor intersections I used a 3 in. piece of angle to tie wall and floor framing together.

I decided not to weld because of the learning curve and expense. I used 3/16 and 1/4 in pop rivets with a pneumatic pop rivet gun, 3 rivets in each angle leg. I did a test with a welded piece and a pop riveted piece, a vise and a big hammer, you get the picture. the welds either broke or the metal tore before the rivets let loose. I'm no engineer but it seems that either method would be plenty strong. I used 1 1/2 in. block foam for insulation and use spray foam to attach it to the framing and outside skin. By foaming the block foam to the skin and framing it added strength creating something like a shear wall, connecting every thing together. I also foamed an aluminum skin on the inside. That's the gist of it. I over built and I can see ways to cut down even more on the weight. It's been fun!

PS. There's a 5th wheel company that uses angle brackets and bolts . Cursier 5 th wheel company.

Tom

rdraider

Adventurer
Wow, I might just try that myself. I've read in other places about the strengths of pop rivets vs welding, but was hesitant. If i go this route (i.e. slide in camper) I might just follow your lead. Enough hijacking....

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
you could get one of these for your shower stall

http://sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=190818

91038_ts.JPG

ZSK

A lot of the pictures don't seem to be working could you up date the links? This is a thread that caught my attention.:REOutCampFire03:

Azlugz

Adventurer
For the Hot water and shower, take a look at this homemade option

http://biobug.org/jeep/zj/shower/

Uses the trucks heater to heat the water!

ht-ex-inst.jpg

As for a camp stove, one sticking out of the hitch may be in the way. If you do not mind attaching one metal strip to the body of the truck, you could mount this on the passenger side just behind the cab.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/bbq-grills/stainless-gas-grill.htm

Mine is a little different but it mounts on the side of my 5th wheel and plumbs into the propane for the RV. When not in use, it just leaves a small mounting strip on the side

DSC01341.jpg

Last point, thanks for the service!! I spent a lot less exciting 20 years in the USAF

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
i wouldn't do the grill on the back. easy to steal. we use a $30 table top propane grille with a griddle, works for just about everything. if your planning on 6months at a time i would consider a poptop instead of a flippak. alittle more durable, (i would think), and more options.

if it were me, i'd make sure i could get were i am going and get out

- tires, recovery, first aid

then plan how i can stay there.

- air bags, shelter, storage, supplies

personally, i prefer subtle rigs, high on function, low on radar. keeps my stuff - my stuff.

thanks for your service, i appreciate the mentality that it takes everybody to do the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater