2005 Rubicon LJ

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Hey guys, this is a link to my wife's new blog. She is just getting started with it but I guarantee you can learn something from it. Would be great if you checked it out and went ahead and subscribed. It would really help her out. No cost to you but a chance to find out about some things outside the jeep world :)

http://livetheoldway.com/

Thanks,

John

Mudicon

Have trail...will travel
Just my $0.02, but having owned several LJs, the absolute best combination we found was on my sons LJ. We went with Currie progressive 3" springs with OME shocks and the ride was far superior to any other combination we experimented with. Had we not sold both LJ's and both moved into JKU's I would have done the same to mine.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Just my $0.02, but having owned several LJs, the absolute best combination we found was on my sons LJ. We went with Currie progressive 3" springs with OME shocks and the ride was far superior to any other combination we experimented with. Had we not sold both LJ's and both moved into JKU's I would have done the same to mine.
I appreciate that. I am looking to find the right balance with what I have on hand and replace only as needed. So for me at this point it is either keep the 3" BDS springs that I have on their now, or switch back to the Rough Country 2.5 springs that I had before. I will not be buying new shocks. I may be buying new tires, looking at a compromise between 33x12.50x15 and 245/75/16... Which puts me at either 235/85/16, 33x10.50x15, 255/85/16 or 285/75/16... leaning toward the 235's (32"x9.50 or so) at the moment. Of course as you might gather... that might change at any particular moment.

If I go the 235 route I will likely be changing back to the RC 2.5 springs and "all will be right with the jeep"... If I do that I can most likely sell the 33x12.50's on steel rims for enough to cover most of the expense of the 235's... or at least a good portion.... If I do that I will definitely remove my BDO rear bumper and tire carrier and go pretty much stock on the tailgate. Just have to decide what to do... again... jeep lego schizophrenia at it's best... or worst...:smiley_drive:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Just have to decide what to do... again... jeep lego schizophrenia at it's best... or worst...:smiley_drive:

Well, thanks to Dale (Rovetrader) I have put an end to the manic phase of thinking and rethinking springs, shocks and tires. I am picking up 5 BFG KM2 245/75/16 from him on Sunday, for about 1/2 of what any other option was going to run me. This will lead to some other changes as decribed earlier... return to 2.5" RC springs, add the 1/2 BL... some other changes as I see fit as I am working on this stuff.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
That sounds like a good deal on those little tires, but it's not going to solve your issue. You really want progressive coils.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
That sounds like a good deal on those little tires, but it's not going to solve your issue. You really want progressive coils.

Thanks Nwoods. I will be going back to the RC 2.5 springs, which are progressive. I was trying out the BDS springs in an attempt to stiffen things up a bit and gain some clearance. It also helped that I just had to swap springs with my son's jeep. He has parked it for the time being, so no harm, no foul. I am lucky to be able to do that and not have to spend any $ just a few hours of wrench time.

This is a video of the RC springs... does a good job explaining the progressive nature of the springs. I did not find the shocks to be any good and am running bilsteins. The BDS springs have a higher rate and did fine with the heavier wheel tire selection, but the new tires are 31's and the RIDE of the BDS was not what I was looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oea7EqkSrBk

In the end I think the 31's are fine for me for now. Price was right and I like the performance of the 4.0 and 6 speed with the 31's. If I go up in the future it *will* be to 33 or larger, 3.5 MC springs and will probably include regearing. The "lego-esque" nature of the jeep (as GBeasley put it) is one thing I both love and despise about this... love to explore and change... hate the at times mind spinning that comes along with it. When I started this build I had a fairly clear vision of what it would/would not be... I was not going back to heavy duty rock crawling and wanted to maintain an adventure vehicle that was comfortable, capable and adaptable to many uses and terrains.
Trying to stick with that and stay frugal at the same time.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Well went ahead and did it. Big Daddy rear bumper and tire carrier came off today. Will be on the search for a tough rear bumper, suitable for towing and also for recovery work. Have looked at many options, and found a few simple ones I like as well as some close up to the rear cross member... kind of a new thing I guess, that has me thinking. Now that I have the new tires and have decided to move back to the RC2.5 lift, this move plus the Superwinch troubles (needs new motor and new brake... will cost more than a replacement and almost as much as new one of the same flavor)has moved a rear bumper and a new winch up to the top of my list, bumping a new top down a notch. Here she is, all naked and such...
no bumper 2.jpg

Looking for suggestions on the rear bumper. Want it to be able to tow, work recovery... no need for tire carrier... limited rear overhang would be ideal.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Well went ahead and did it. Big Daddy rear bumper and tire carrier came off today. Will be on the search for a tough rear bumper, suitable for towing and also for recovery work. Have looked at many options, and found a few simple ones I like as well as some close up to the rear cross member... kind of a new thing I guess, that has me thinking. Now that I have the new tires and have decided to move back to the RC2.5 lift, this move plus the Superwinch troubles (needs new motor and new brake... will cost more than a replacement and almost as much as new one of the same flavor)has moved a rear bumper and a new winch up to the top of my list, bumping a new top down a notch. Here she is, all naked and such...
View attachment 268155

Looking for suggestions on the rear bumper. Want it to be able to tow, work recovery... no need for tire carrier... limited rear overhang would be ideal.

If you're like a "minimalist" look, here's what I did with my old LJ. I bought a Rokmen rear bumper that "skins" the rear crossmember nicely (I highly recommend Rokmen, BTW...GREAT service & parts). The bumper is a non-receiver design out-of-the-box. We cut a hole for a receiver in the bumper and rear crossmember, and then tied into the 2nd rear crossmember (which holds the back of the gas tank skid) for additional support. I was very pleased with the result, but honestly sold the Jeep before I did any towing with it.

544868_3614880060553_993529321_n.jpg

551223_3614881300584_1798298353_n.jpg

555044_3614883860648_1944814935_n.jpg

531626_4293068534841_20917276_n.jpg

420526_4720161211891_1253483213_n.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Awesome, nice work indeed. Don't know if I can pull that off. but I like it a lot.... how did you pin the hitch?

If you're like a "minimalist" look, here's what I did with my old LJ. I bought a Rokmen rear bumper that "skins" the rear crossmember nicely (I highly recommend Rokmen, BTW...GREAT service & parts). The bumper is a non-receiver design out-of-the-box. We cut a hole for a receiver in the bumper and rear crossmember, and then tied into the 2nd rear crossmember (which holds the back of the gas tank skid) for additional support. I was very pleased with the result, but honestly sold the Jeep before I did any towing with it.

544868_3614880060553_993529321_n.jpg

551223_3614881300584_1798298353_n.jpg

555044_3614883860648_1944814935_n.jpg

531626_4293068534841_20917276_n.jpg

420526_4720161211891_1253483213_n.jpg

1x1_Speed_Craig

Awesome, nice work indeed. Don't know if I can pull that off. but I like it a lot.... how did you pin the hitch?

Thanks. The receiver tube had a hole (not visible) behind the crossmember. It was accessible enough for my needs. Follow-up work (had I not sold the Jeep) would have been adding low-profile/semi-hidden safety chain mounts.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks. The receiver tube had a hole (not visible) behind the crossmember. It was accessible enough for my needs. Follow-up work (had I not sold the Jeep) would have been adding low-profile/semi-hidden safety chain mounts.

Nice. I have an email out to Barnes 4WD, to see if they can modify their existing rear bumper to match this concept. I assume, and it looks like, you dropped the tank to so this mod, correct?

1x1_Speed_Craig

Nice. I have an email out to Barnes 4WD, to see if they can modify their existing rear bumper to match this concept. I assume, and it looks like, you dropped the tank to so this mod, correct?

You are correct. I had to drop the tank anyway to install the Rokmen gas tank skid. I wanted to tie into the 2nd-rearmost crossmember for additional support (vs. just having the rear bumper/crossmember taking the load).

jscusmcvet

Explorer
You are correct. I had to drop the tank anyway to install the Rokmen gas tank skid. I wanted to tie into the 2nd-rearmost crossmember for additional support (vs. just having the rear bumper/crossmember taking the load).

Thanks to you I have a plan in the works. The Barnes bumper is officially on order and a buddy is going to help me with the work as in your pics. Thanks for the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal